Martin B

Bees.

I don't know where you find the time - you do go to school and watch footie as well, I believe! :?

Congratulations - echo what Emma says, about Nintendos, nothing wrong with them but I know my friend's daughter will spend most of New Year hunched over hers in a corner, while we are all playing games and having fun.

I'd love to keep bees but don't think it would go down well with my neighbours who have children. Well done, I look forward to hearing more - what a great year you're going to have in 2008!

wow - just noticed this thread Martin. I'm very impressed. 8) !)

I can't keep bees as I'm horribly allergic to them, but I know my OH has always had notions about it as his grandfather used to keep them.

I echo "well done for being different" When I was a Teenager, I couldn't understand all the others who just stood around in the centre of town in large groups, not doing anything (I was into music not bees and chickens though )

good luck with your new enterprise.

Last night I went to the first part of the beekeeping course and I am so excited regards the next one!

It was great to see the different hives, and despite the WBC being absolutely georgeous, I am going to go for the National and I am going to order it from the same place as Lesley.

Lesley and Carl were at the course yesterday aswell and it was great to see them.

Not sure Mike was impressed regards the Top Bar Hive though! :lol::roll:

This course at Stratford is very different to the one we did last year with Cov. and Warks. Beekeepers. That one was oversubscribed and full of pushy people - so if anyone was at all on the quiet/shy side then they missed out (:oops: ) They started with a full history of the honeybee and was more than required I think.

The Stratford course is a small group and much more practical. I'm interested in Top Bar hives as well, as it appears to be a more natural way to keep bees, but we wanted to learn how to keep bees first and then to explore the different ways to keep them.

GM, I hope you manage to find a course to go to......

It is not a walled orchard but it is very remote and is surrounded by wildflower meadows and oil seed rape, ideal for making honey! The orchard is only just visible from the lane, but if you weren't looking out for it you wouldn't notice it, when I went to look at it for the first time we drove past it several times. :lol:

Can't wait to see you in your suit on the 27th then Lesley! :)

My dad is a beekeeper and I have always been scared od stinging insects, I try to hide it so that the children don't pick it up, but it is hard.

I saw my dad last week and after 3 months with no honey I now have 6 jars of lovely hard set North Welsh honey. I have tried buying Gloucestershire honey but the floral and fauna is so different that I much prefer the Welsh honey.

Love the picture martin. Isnt it fantastic when you first get up the the hive in your suit and you are surrounded by bees.

Hope you get your bees soon. You will love it. Its a lifetime hobby.

We have been doing bees for 4 years now and our mentors have been invaluable. We are in the Cheshire Beekeepers. They are always around and happy to give advice no matter how daft the questions are :oops:

It's nice when the mentoring system works isn't it?

We started off with Coventry and Leamington as we are between Stratford and Leamington.......... but no-one could be bothered to come and advise us. We ended up phoning a memebr of Stratford Beekeepers and getting them to come out and go through the hive with us.

We decided to join Stratford Beekeepers instead - they have been really helpful, especially with the loss of our bees last month.