BeckyBoo

How much do you charge.....

.....for your eggs, if you sell them? I wasn't sure wether to post this here, or in chickens or eggs so feel free to move it if required. Only I was in the unenviable position last week of having to buy a dozen eggs - we sell our eggs and also lemon curd and with only 14 hens we can't sell both. SO, bought some shop free range eggs and they were rubbish compared to ours. Thin shelled, a bit watery and the yolk broke on two of them as I cracked the egg. So, not that fresh then. I paid the grand sum of £1.50 for 1/2 a dozen which is more than I currently charge, but ours are SO much nicer than the shop ones. I bought some Sainsburys Woodland free range type eggs and they weren't all that either and they were £1.28 for 6. So, what do you think? Should we be cheaper as we're not a supermarket, or more because the eggs are truly fab (not that I'm biased :oops: ) Also does anyone charge more for bantam eggs, only we are CONSTANTLY asked for bantam eggs so (being a bit of a tight whotsit) I was thinking of charging a bit of a premium for them! :lol:

Mrs B

There is a lovely plant nursery a cbout 3 miles from me which has quite a number of free range hens and sells the eggs on the side. The eggs they have are wonderful, and they always sell out by mid afternoon, so the eggs you buy are always "laid that day".

They charge £1.10 for 6, but if you bring your own egg box it's £1.

For that price, it's worth me making a special journey there to get eggs, and I often do (hopefully "did", when all three of my girls start laying!). Lots of people go there just to buy the eggs.

Personally, I think they are undercharging, and I would be happy to pay £1.50 for six. However, I wonder whether people would be so keen to make the special journey if the eggs were the same price as the supermarket?

Maybe 20p an egg is a good compromise?

I charge £1 per half dozen providing they reuse the box. I charge 20p if they need a new box on top. I think tht I'd rather charge a little less than the supermarket to stop people buying battery eggs. I still make a little money towards the girls' upkeep and the customers get great eggs :D

20p per egg, of which 5p goes to the BHWT.

We have been selling our Bantam eggs for 50p for 6 as a sort of loss leader to get our neighbours to appreciate that although they are only half the size they are just as fab....One of my hen party people bought 6 of them on Saturday too - I think she wanted extras (I give all my hen party people an egg each) to convince others that she was not mad wanting hens.

Thanks guys, we charge £1.20 for 6 and £1.10 if you bring the box back so I'll stick with that as it seems about right. It's strange how I used to think that shop free range eggs were so good, but now we've tasted our girls eggs the shop ones just don't come close.

Mrs B

Mine go for £1.50 for 6 or £1 for 4.

I have 2 ladies who have a regular box on a regular day, & usually sell a couple more boxes during the week too 8)

I'm the same - £1.50 for six or 25p per egg. I have regular orders for two dozen, which pushes us a bit - but that's two 6's (which I deliver; they are only a mile and a half from the village) and one lady who calls in on a Wednesday for 12. However if we are running short she only gets what we can spare!

My girls laid 38 eggs last week, between the 7 of them, which is the best week ever. Usually I reckon on 28 to 30 ish, which covers the orders, gives us the four we use, and then some to give away. However I've been asked at work for some, and another neihbour has asked to buy some! I can't have any more chickens so am having to say no to people now (I'm resisting the temptation to buy some in to make up the orders).

But they all say how lovely the eggs are, so my advice would be not to underprice yourself - people do appreciate good, fresh eggs from hens that they can see (and hear) are well treated!

My Dad sells ours at work for £1.30 per half dozen. They always return the boxes and sometime give me extra boxes too. (Some of the boxes are from caged birds eggs which I refuse to use and recycle them).

Anything up to £1.50 a box is reasonable I think.

:D

I charge £1 for 6 eggs .......... I have 2 neighbours and the mother of a friend of DS who regularly buy eggs. No one seems to want my bantam eggs as they're smaller..........OK by me as they are by far the tastier so more for me :drool::drool:

I also give away eggs to my mum and the odd box to my vet :D:D

The money goes in my chicken shaped money box and I use it to buy the girls treats :D

Our chooks are just about paying for themselves now, obviously we'll never pay for the cube :shock: but I bought their mash and corn today with money from the chicken jar. I think bantam eggs are the absolute tastiest eggs I've ever eaten! They're so concentrated and creamy which is why I was thinking of whacking a premium on them! I'd love to get more hens, we're got 14 and we get between 5 an 9 eggs a day, mostly only 6 or 7 these days although last summer we had a couple of 12 egg days. But we could sell our eggs ten times over :?

It helps because ours are in a pretty pink box with pictures my girls drew, one of a hen, one of a smiley face that I "pop-art"ed and we've given ourselves a "brand name" so they look pretty 8)

Mrs B (who if I could get the stupid computer to recognise the stupid camera would be able to upload some pictures!) How can you not recognise something that hasn't been anywhere or done anything since the LAST time you saw it? And they say computers are clever.....

the money I get for the girls' eggs goes in a jar - and then buys their food. I couldn't justify having them else!

snap! I spent £31 this weekend - 2 bags of feed, and 2 bags of aubiose, and had £27 in the jar, so that was far less painful.

I used to say donations in the jar please, and most people gave me £1, but somebody (and I know who) was giving me 25p on a good day, for 6. Finally I sent an email round 10 days ago at work saying £1 for six. I got a lot of emails saying that was great value and they would happily pay more. Strangely that 'one' person has not asked for any since. Not a problem as I can't keep up! I have regular orders totalling 28pw, plus another dozen requested this week. I now am also saying no at times, as I need to make sure we have some, and also I like to give my best friend and my parents some too.

It helps because ours are in a pretty pink box with pictures my girls drew, one of a hen, one of a smiley face that I "pop-art"ed and we've given ourselves a "brand name" so they look pretty 8)

Ohhh pink egg boxes :idea: May I ask where you get those from please :D

SH

Here we go Sh...

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Egg-Boxes-Trays.html

I didn't really want quite so many but in the end I really REALLY wanted the pink ones so bit the bullet and now have a downstairs loo full of them :lol:

Mrs B