Cinnamon

Book groups chat for June - The Kite Runner

I was really pleased that this was picked for a read,as its one of my favourite books & one I had been meaning to re read for a long time.

I love the epic feel of the book & the way it draws you in to a worl that I knew very little about before. I felt that I got a real sense of what the Afghan people are like & the terrible time that had under the Taliban.

Before it was all to easy to assume that they were all the same over there.....this book made me realise that real people with very real lives were terribly affected by what went on in that country.

Thats all I have to say really. I think its a beautifully written book & one I will read again & again.

If anyone else enjoyed it as much as I did,I can heartily recommend 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' as another great read by this author :D

I too found this book utterly compelling and I managed to read it in about 3 days when I was supposed to be doing other things- I just couldn't put it down and really needed to know how it was going to end.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was as I had thought that it wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I guess that is the magic of the storyteller...

I thought the character of Amir was very cleverly orchestrated; his culture stood in the way of his friendship with Hassan, and it was his cowardice that ended it. One of the most pertinent threads of the novel was Amir's desire to rid himself of this cowardice and to somehow seek redemption for not doing anything about Hassan.

I found the part in America a little difficult to imagine, I suppose that it was because the Afghan people were so far removed from their previous lives that for them to be in America seemed so wrong.

I actually shed tears when he discovered that Hassan had died, and I was on tenterhooks when Amir was endeavouring to rescue Hassan's son from Kabul. I found that the story really gathered pace near the end and there were a few twists and turns which kept me turning the pages...

I found the imagery of the kites beautiful; the kites to me symbolised freedom...this was such a thought provoking book.

It gave me a much greater insight into Afghanistan, than I'd gained from watching news programmes etc. I didn't want to see the film, because I'd enjoyed the book so much and I felt it might not do it justice.

The bits after they'd left Afghanistan and settled in America were interesting - the contrast between the privileged lifestyle they'd had in Kabul and the circumstances they lived under in California. I also thought the development of the relationship between the main character and his father was well portrayed.

I thought the ending was a little bit ... trite? predictable? I'm not quite sure how to describe it, just a bit too 'and they all lived happily ever after' for my liking. I loved this book, although there are some quite upsetting scenes in it, definitely one I'd read again.

I didn't want to see the film, because I'd enjoyed the book so much and I felt it might not do it justice.

Having enjoyed reading the book when it first came out, we did go and see the film which is also a tear-jerker. It is partially sub-titled and whereas the book draws you into Afghanistan village life, the film shows it to you in all its colourful glory and then its stark bleakness.

My husband and son enjoyed both the book and the film, so much so my son bought and read the followup book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, but decided it was more of a woman's book than The Kite Runner.

Oooh... there is another book that I've read, though didn't know it was the book discussed on here...

I did like the book a lot... especially the first half, I didn't find the bits in America quite as good, but that's my own personal preference... the actual story of the two boys growing in Afghanistan were the bits I really loved... I don't actually find Amir is such a coward... when the events happen, he is still a child, and I'm sure I'd have been no braver had I been him... though I guess his actual status and that of his father might have been a good weapon in intervening in what was happening to Hassan...

The kite thing struck a chord with me, as shortly before I read the book, a dear friend of mine sent me pictures of the kite day he had just had in India, happily telling me he had 'defeated' quite a few of his neighbours... now my friend is no child, he is 27, but he was very endearingly childlike and enthusiastic in telling me about the ways to prepare kite strings and how to manoeuvre to cut off his neighbours' kites... Where he lives, they fly them from the terraces of the houses, rather than running in the streets... I had never heard of those kite festivals before, so hearing of them twice in a very short time, from my friend and in that book, was an interesting coincidence... The pictures my friend sent of kites in the sunset were really lovely too...

I find the characterisation quite lovely in the book... Amir is quite believable, and Hassan is simply wonderful... there are many beautifully humane moments in the book, like the way Hassan gets to meet his mother again, or all the warm-hearted moments that keep the two boys' relationship going, despite Amir usually enjoying the upper hand he has... the affection of Amir's father for Hassan also comes across as very real... I was a bit disappointed by the lack of depth of the female character, and the relationship between her and Amir... she remains very much a side character and nothing ever happens much to make the reader know her and believe they really do fall in love... seems more like lines added to the book, than events in the characters' lives.

The one good thing about the contrast between the bits in Afghanistan and the bits I didn't like so much in America, is that I guess it serves the right purpose to make the reader identify with the sense of loss and uprooting the characters themselves go through...

I am reading 'A thousand splendid sun' and I agree it is more of a book for women... I do enjoy it, but preferred the kite runner... It was more multi-dimentional in the stories, relationships, events, places, and so on, that it tells about...

A lot of heartbreaking bits in both books... to be read with a box of tissues, a glass of wine, or a tub of Ben Jerry's at the ready...

What a fabulous book! It is one of the best pieces of modern fiction I have read for ages. I have never been to Afghanistan, yet I feel I know it initimately. The writing was so descriptive and really painted a beautiful picture of pre-war Afghanistan and also depicted perfectly the war-ravaged and despoiled version too. I was with Amir and Hassan in that pomegranite tree!

The scene in the alley (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet) was one of the most shocking things I have ever read. I read it in bed and couldn't get to sleep at all that night. I felt as if someone close to me had been violated!

I did think it was obvious what the true relationship between Amir and Hassan was going to be, which made things even more tragic. However I found the character of "Baba" very annoying and overbearing, and only really felt something for him towards the end of his life.

The scenes where Amir goes back to rescue Hassan's son, were chilling and could have been from one of the best "thrillers". I think anyone who reads this book would want to personally see Assef get his comeuppance.

A real page-turner. I absolutely adored it!

I also loved this book, and went on to read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. What an eyeopener into life in Afghanistan, and how tragic the changes to peoples lives because of politics and war. I was never good at English Literature at school - I read books and either enjoy them or don't get past the first few pages, I don't analyse them! :lol: But I'm glad this book was chosen here - I would never have picked it up otherwise. A good story and educational at the same time 8)

OH bought me this book quite a while ago and put off reading it as i had others on the go however the facilities manager at work convinced me to give it a go.

It's one of the best books i have read in a long time and loved every page of it. 8)

Snowy I too went on to read A Thousand Splendid Suns and it brought tears to me eyes at points - not many books can do that!

The Kite Runner is very well written and a great page turner and i my copy has been passed about the family for all to enjoy :D

This one restored my faith in the book group as I loved it 8)

I found it shocking and sad but hopeful as well I read it really quickly as I couldn't put it down :lol:

I must read it again soon 8)

I would never have picked it up if not for the group so thank you :wink:

I too enjoyed this book although to begin with I found it hard to empathise with Amir. His treatment of Hassan was horrible but understandable because of the way his father acted. I felt so sad for Hassan and how hurt he must have been, his friend betraying him.

In one way I'm glad it ended the way it did but I think it would have been perhaps a stronger book if it didn't (don't want to spoil story line so hope that makes sense).

I've never belonged to a book club before so I'm enjoying reading books I might not have chosen myself :D

Hi,

I'm glad the book was a book club one as I found it a little difficult to get into, mainly I think becuase of the sense of impedding doom at the start of the book leading up to the scence in the alley and the sadness after. Becuase it was a book club book I perserved beyond that and found it impossible to put down.

It gives a wonderful sense of Afghanistan and it's people, especially when Amir returns and sees a side of life he hadn't seen before. The descriptions where they stay the night with the drivers relatives was very evocative.

I had a sense of waiting for Amir's wife to do something in the plot though and she never really does. The courtship was well done. The childlessness made it too obviously he would adopt Hassan's child.

Definitely made me want to read more by the author and watch the movie.

Now I just need to read the next book before everyone has stopped discussing it...

Yes I loved it too. I think it would make a great film, as it was very visual for me, and I'd like to see what Afghanistan really looks like. I assume the film really was shot on location there.

It reminded me, in some ways of 'Half of a Yellow Sun', which is a very readable novel giving an insight into war torn Nigeria.

I can't believe its taken me so long to come in and post my comments - I chose it :oops:

I loved reading about the friendship between the two young boys and was truly shocked by what happened but I also understood why Amir reacted in the way he did. He was just a boy.

To me it symbolised what subsequently happened in Afghanistan.

I am a little ashamed to admit that I did not twig the real relationship between the boys - I knew there was something binding the two fathers but I just did not see that coming at all. Dim or what?

I thought the American scenes felt more real than anything in the book and really enjoyed them - Baba become a much more sympathetic character then too.

In my copy of the book there are some discussion notes, including 'What is the significance of kites in the book' and 'What do you think they symbolise?' I have struggled with this question to be honest

I know someone mentioned the kites early in the discusssion (I need to re-read the thread) but would be interested to know what others think. At first I thought freedom, then I thought relationships?

Anyway, I am glad I chose the book because it was something I had intended to read but never got round to. I am pleased others have enjoyed it too.

I didn't like it at all, I felt it was an overworked piece of quasi-political tripe, with shockers scattered along the way to keep the audience titillated. I'm clearly in the minority :oops:

:D:D Rhapsody, I'm surprised you finished the book :shock:

I read this book a couple of years ago, and to be honest didn't feel like re-reading it for the book group. I quite enjoyed it at the time, and felt I learned quite a bit about Afghanistan. I did read somewhere that some of the actors that appeared in the film had to go into hiding because they were being threatened, not sure by whom. I always though the kites were a representation of the fragility of life and freedom, could be wrong though.

Tessa

I didn't like it at all, I felt it was an overworked piece of quasi-political tripe, with shockers scattered along the way to keep the audience titillated. I'm clearly in the minority :oops:

Something I've found really interesting in this group Rhapsody is the varying views people have on books :lol: I think all the books so far have had people who couldn't stand them and people who thought they were brilliant!

I'm neither of these sides for this book. I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't put it on my "must re-read" list. I found it an interesting way into a culture I know nothing about and it did humanise Afghan history for me.

As someone else said, BaBa did really annoy me while they were in Afghanistan. It seemed that he would go out of his way to do anything for anyone as long as they were not his son - we knew about the fact that his wife had died giving birth, but I just wanted to shake the man! (obviously later, we find out other reasons for his attitude, but still!)

Amir spent his whole life looking for approval, and it is understandable how, as a child, he left Hassan as he did and then spent the rest of his life plagued by guilt.

I found the part in America very interesting, because it put these people within a context which I understand and showed how they coped with this alien lifestyle. I did feel more for Baba within this context.

I'm with Tina in that I didn't guess the link between Amir and Hassan :oops:

All in all a good read, but I'm often slightly dissapointed with over hyped novels. I will read his next one though. I've had it on order on audio for several months - I guess it's a popular one!!!

I've already read this months book last month by mistake :oops:

I'm neither of these sides for this book. I did enjoy it, but I wouldn't put it on my "must re-read" list. I found it an interesting way into a culture I know nothing about and it did humanise Afghan history for me.

As someone else said, BaBa did really annoy me while they were in Afghanistan. It seemed that he would go out of his way to do anything for anyone as long as they were not his son - we knew about the fact that his wife had died giving birth, but I just wanted to shake the man! (obviously later, we find out other reasons for his attitude, but still!)

Amir spent his whole life looking for approval, and it is understandable how, as a child, he left Hassan as he did and then spent the rest of his life plagued by guilt.

Now why couldnt I have said that!!!

I read the book and have been trying to come up with why I neither liked or disliked it but that's it in a nutshell.

I thought the book was well written and kept me interested but I just couldn't feel any empathy for Amir at all.

I bought this book a few months ago and put it on my book shelf to read at a later date. I'd heard a bit about it, and I wasn't really ready to read it. But, one Sunday morning, I got it off my shelf and then, very decadently, spent the day reading it.

And I loved it. It made me sad, laugh and angry. I would say that some bits seemed rushed, especially towards the end, but I would definately recommend this to anyone.

Now deciding whether or not to watch the film.