Redwing

A Big Scary Dog Attacked my Terrier!

My husband phoned earlier to say that our dog had been attacked, I was in the east end of London on a meeting but have rushed home to see the poor thing.

My husband filled me in on what happened and now I am very angry :evil:

My OH had him off the lead in the park, a man came in to the park with a Japanese Akita on a lead and Otis ran up to greet the other dog as he always does with strange dogs, we don't ever worry too much about this as he is well behaved and will come back if called and we make sure he doesn't make a nusiance of himself.

anyway... the other dog (with no growl of warning) grabbed Otis in his mouth with one set of teeth on the back of his neck and the other set dug in to his chest and lifted him clear off the ground!

My husband said that Otis was making a horrid screaming sound which makes me feel cold to think of.

The owner of the other dog did apologise but said he kept his dog on a lead for a reason (as if that makes it ok) but I can't help feeling that the dog should have been muzzled if he is vicious (I dont blame the whole breed just that dog)

Poor Otis has lots of shaved fur as he has lots of puncture wounds luckily the vet said he should be ok thankfully but its been a heck of a shock! (not to mention the vets bill :shock: )

So sorry to hear about the scary attack on your terrier.

They are very handsome guard dogs and I fear they are becoming the 'new' Rottweiler in the wrong hands and will get a bad name.

Japanese Akita K9 Obedience Dog Breed Summary:

The Japanese Akita is large, very strong, and intelligent.

They have strong guarding instincts and do not take kindly to strangers, visitors or even children that come to the home in many cases.

So fierce is this dog’s guarding instincts that they will bite very soon after becoming suspicious.

Such is their protective instincts to their family that Japanese mothers would let the family’s Akita dog look after the children, so sure was she that the dog would not let anyone near!

The Akita generally does not like other dogs or any other pets in the household, but as usual this is a generalisation which an experienced doggie person can ignore in most cases, but it is written for the majority and therefore we feel it is a valid statement.

They will be gentle and playful with their own children, but great care is needed when people come to visit. The Japanese Akita is dominant, fearless and self-willed.

This dog must only have an owner that understands the breed and has confidence in their training abilities to be able to keep this dog under control.

The Japanese Akita is definitely not the right breed for the average family looking for a pet dog.

Did he offer to pay for the vet bill?

I hope he is not too traumatised by the event.

Have you reported this to the police? People who have dogs that bite annoy me. I took on a Border Collie from a rescue centre and we had her for 18 months or so. When she bit the postman, I didn't hesitate. Much as it hurt at the time, I took her straight to the vets to be put to sleep. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and I couldn't take the risk.

What would this man do if his dog bit a child?

I know someone whose large dog cleared the six foot garden fence and bit an elderly lady. She didn't report it to the police even though it drew blood and they still have the dog. This family have six children. How could they live with themselves knowing the dog's history (not the first time it has bitten someone) if it bites one of the children or their friends?

I love my pets but when an animal crosses that line and bites, then it has gone too far.

Whilst I have every sympathy for your situation, I would just add a note of caution - technically you could be seen as being in the wrong because your dog was off his lead and his wasn't. Your dog must have got very close for the akita to be able to grab it in his mouth like that. My dog is fine with other dogs when he is off his lead, but when he is on his lead he can feel threatened and act aggressively so I take care to keep him well away from other dogs. I have to say it really annoys me when people let their off-lead dogs come up to him and sniff him, usually accompanied by "don't worry, he's really friendly." He might well be, but my dog isn't and if my dog then growls/snaps it's suddenly my fault. The man could argue that if his dog is on a lead and won't attack unless provoked, it doesn't need to be muzzled, and I have some sympathy with that view. The moral of the story is - if there's a dog on a lead in an area where dogs are usually allowed to run free - as the man said to your husband, chances are it's on a lead for a reason. Don't let your dog bother it.

You do have a valid point Victoriabunny but its a real shame when a little dog can't run freely in a park intended for fun and you certainly don't expect to run in to trouble :(

I would have understood it if the dog had growled as a warning but Otis wasn't even that close and he dived straight at him apparently. Being guarded on the lead is one thing but I don't think that there are many dogs that will actually attack.

We reported it to the dog warden and no the guy didnt offer to help with the vets bill even though with a dog that is so aggressive I would expect him to have insurance for such a situation.

Otis seems ok this evening but did shiver when we cleaned his wounds, poor thing.

Thanks for the sweet messages and info x

Whilst I agree with Victoriabunny, that the dog was on a lead for a reason, I also feel that he should have been muzzled. It doesn't take much time or money to muzzle a dog and there is no excuse for a dog biting......another dog or a person.

I think I would have reported the incident to the police as well - they may not be able to take any action but at least it would be on their records should there be another incident reported to them.

Sorry to hear about Otis, I hope he makes a full recovery!

I agree the dog should have been muzzled - it's one thing to allow plenty of space around it when out in a park, but how does he get it home? There are some situations where a dog on a lead may need to be amongst children and other dogs (on a path for example) How would he go on if it then attacked another dog on a lead because it got too close (or a child walking past holding a parents hand)? He is foolishly putting his own dog at risk isn't he? :?

Whilst I have every sympathy for your situation, I would just add a note of caution - technically you could be seen as being in the wrong because your dog was off his lead and his wasn't. Your dog must have got very close for the akita to be able to grab it in his mouth like that. My dog is fine with other dogs when he is off his lead, but when he is on his lead he can feel threatened and act aggressively so I take care to keep him well away from other dogs. I have to say it really annoys me when people let their off-lead dogs come up to him and sniff him, usually accompanied by "don't worry, he's really friendly."

I completely agree with this.

Im so sorry to hear about Otis and you have my sympathy for a speedy recovery. But I have to agree that it does irritate me that when my dog is on a lead out walking and people who have their dogs running free allow them to come up to my dog expecting my dog to be ok. My dog is a German Shepherd and probably very territorial and protective as an Akita would be (we have a friend with children with Akitas). I have encountered many blase owners( and please dont take it that I mean you as I dont :D:wink: ) who are not even concentrating on what their pet is doing or where their dog is and my dog is getting stressed on the lead as she is being surrounded by an unfamiliar dog sniffing her behind!

My GSD has never bitten anyone or any other animal and she is perfect with other dogs off the lead, but does not like other dogs approaching her when she is leashed as she is doing what comes natural and protecting her "pack", which is what has happened in your unfortunate incident.

I hope Otis will be ok and back to himself soon. :)

I hope your dog is not too traumatised by this and makes a full recovery.

It is an awkward situation as I have a friend whose dog is lovely but since getting to about a year old he becomes aggressive with other male dogs. She is very watchful (to the point of being neurotic) in the park. She will only let him off the lead if there are no other dogs around, apart from my dog who he has grown up with and one or two others that she knows are ok. The trouble comes when other dogs come up to her and they are off the lead. We were in the park last week and there was a dog loose, no collar. I had seen it before and wondered if it came from one of the houses around the park. There was no owner in sight. This dog would not leave my friend's dog alone, I could not grab hold of it because of it not having a collar. We were shouting at it to go away. Eventually a builder came into the park - it was his dog and he was working on one of the houses.

It really upset my friend because she was worried what would have happened if her dog had managed to get hold of the 'stray' dog.

I'm lucky with Cookie in that she is quite shy around dogs she doesn't know, she is usually more interested in the owners as they may have treats on them :roll:

My little fella is so well behaved and will come back straight away if called even if he is excited however the other dog gave him no warnings so my OH didnt even have a chance to open his mouth to call Otis back unfortunately.

BUT.........

I have taken on board some of the comments here and we have compromised and bought a horses lunge rein to use as a very long lead which means he can still run free but we can reel him in if we see a dog on a lead!

I do acknowledge that not all dogs are happy to see my Otis but I never expected one to strike!

Hopefully no more problems :pray:

Otis is much better today, he has some new toys!

Thanks everyone for your support and balanced comments x

While i was at my nans in kent we went to the forest with alfie (my dog). He was only young (9months) at was (still is) very exitable. When we passed a man with 2 dogs he said alfie could say hello. So we went up to them and one dog grabbed alfies throught :cry: He was locked on and wouldn't let go :!::!::!: The owners tried kicking their dog and hitting him but that only made him worse. eventually after pouring a bottle of water over them both he losened his grip. We dragged him away and we quickly sweeped Alfie up and tried to smooth him. The owner halfway to kicking his dog to hell said he'd put his dog down, Yet he never even offered to pay the vets bill :evil::evil::evil: some people :!: Thank Heavens Alfie was ok :pray:

Just to say you wouldn't have been in the wrong for having your dog off the lead in the park, unless there are notices to keep your dog ON a lead which would be very unusual in a park. The owner of the other dog is entirely in the wrong and should have his dog muzzled. It would only be if you were out on the street that you must have your dog on a lead and in any case your dog must be "in control" at all times which yours was as he comes back when called, but mateys clearly wasn't as it tried to kill yours.

A lucky escape for your poor dog and I suppose you'll just have to watch the local newspapers to see when it bites it's next victim, and let's hope it's not a child.

Irresponsible dog ownership, that's what that is, make my blood boil :evil:

Mrs B

The assumption that a dog who doesn't like other dogs when on a lead is likely to bite a child next is beginning to wind me up a lot.

but an owner who doesnt have his/their dog on a lead isnt in control of their dog either. Anything can happen in that situation.

I dont walk my dog near children, or people in fact. Even though she is a sociable dog off the lead (and has never bitten anybody in her 10 year life) she is territorial on the lead and will bark/pull. If someone comes my way when we are out walking I cross the road.

Its about being a responsible owner, which I am.

The assumption that a dog who doesn't like other dogs when on a lead is likely to bite a child next is beginning to wind me up a lot.

but an owner who doesnt have his/their dog on a lead isnt in control of their dog either. Anything can happen in that situation.

I dont walk my dog near children, or people in fact. Even though she is a sociable dog off the lead (and has never bitten anybody in her 10 year life) she is territorial on the lead and will bark/pull. If someone comes my way when we are out walking I cross the road.

Its about being a responsible owner, which I am.

Exactly!

Because our dog is big we have her on one of those head collar leads (like Victoria Whatserface recommends). She has never attacked another dog and is in fact nervous of them so goes the opposite way but at least I know I have control of her. I at least have the ability to pull her away froma situation easily. A dog off a lead hasn't. I completely trust her with children but would be more nervous of her reaction if she is on a lead and feels harrassed by a leadless dog. Not fair to a) blame that on her b) assume she would attack a child.

Poor Otis. Hope he is not too traumatised.

If the other dog was on a lead "for a reason"....surely he should have been muzzled "for a reason".

Ours is on a lead because she bolts. She escaped horrible owners and has just kept running. It does NOT mean that shes going to bite anyone more that I'm scared she'll get hit by a car and cause an accident.