I have read the fox attack threads, but have one specific question.

Has anyone had a fox attack in a properly secured Eglu, with or with out run.?

I know some one left door open & had a walk in run and one said the clips should have bee replaced, another the gate was not secured :!: We all make mistakes that we can all learn from. Looking for reassurance really :)

I live in a rural area and we have lots of foxes around at the moment. One has shown an interest in my ladies on several occasions and even tried to dig into the run but as yet has been unsuccessful.

I don't think I've read of a fox getting into a secured eglu but I'm sure they could probably dig under the run if they where given enough time (this can be prevented by putting the run on a hard standing). I can't for the life of me see how a fox could get into the eglu with the door closed (it would have to have tools and a DIY background). :?

I remember reading last year on the forum about someone who had had a fox break into the secured Eglu run. It had broken the green clips in its eagerness to get in (I think the clips were very old and a bit brittle) and it wasn't a happy outcome I seem to remember. Just going to check if I've still got the post in my subscriptions section.......sorry can't find it, maybe someone will come along soon and help.

My Eglu has some scratches where something has tried to get in the eggport and failed.

Someone on another forum said they had lost hens to a fox from a shut Eglu itself but it was a thread where lots of people were against Eglus and the poster said the hens were got from the 'actual plastic thingy' (or something similar) which made me doubt they actually even owned an Eglu :roll:

I agree we have built a walk in run that at this present time is not fox proof being that we have not done the floor yet.But my chickens are locked up every night l never leave them to chance.When its done l will leave it open when it warms up.But ill be certain first.We leave the ducks out but there run is slabbed all over and the wood is very chunck and cermented in we used galvinised steel that he brings home from work.The steel bars are all over the roof then we have plastic on top.I love my ducks and chickens like we love our dogs and cats id never leave them to chance id be :anxious: all night.Ive seen on other fourms were they say things about the eglu but they also talk alot about fox attacks.You cant tell them its like :wall: l dont bother.

The only break in that I can remember was when someone moved their eglu onto recently dug ground up at their lottie - because the earth was so soft, the fox was able to dig underneath.
That could have been us. We moved our first chooks onto the veg patch to 'over winter' in 2006 and disaster struck.

At my hen parties I always stress that the run is fox resistant, but the eglu/cube with the door shut is fox proof, as Omlet itself states.
Shutting the Eglu door on that fateful night in April 2006 would have saved our girls I'm sure.

Andrew