jnmccrt

Vanished into thin air

I was out yesterday morning between 10 am and lunchtime and when I came home, our free range 2 year old "girls" had vanished from our back garden. We've checked all the neighbours' gardens but no luck. I can't bear the thought that they might have been stolen and are not now being looked after properly so in a strange sort of way I hope a fox got them. But I thought foxes always left a big mess behind and there's no sign of a struggle, not even a feather to remember them by. Our garden looks so empty now ... someone once said a garden without chickens is like a stage without actors. How true. :cry:

Oh, so sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed that they are safe and sound somewhere, and that you find them, but it does sound as if maybe a fox is to blame.

One of mine was taken away by a fox this year: No feathers left behind, and like you, when I went back outside couldn't understand where she was. The only reason I know it was a fox is because the cheeky thing was trotting back across our paddocks for the other one 10 minutes later. :shock:

If they were taken by a fox, it would have been a very quick way to go.

Big hugs being sent your way

xx

Thank you for your concern, everyone. We're feeling very sad, and it does help to know that other chook lovers know what you're going through.

The girls disappeared on Friday morning and I put notes through all our neighbours' doors by 3 pm that day as I wanted to try and find them before dark, but "Ooops, word censored!"ody has seen a thing. I even reported them as lost to our local police station in case someone phoned in to say they had a couple of big budgies roosting on top of their dustbin. But it's now 48 hours later and they're not coming back.

Our garden was escape-proof for chickens, so it wouldn't have been that easy for a fox to get in unseen in broad daylight, especially as our garden is bordered on all sides by other gardens with 6 foot fences - but that seems the most likely explanation and it would have all been over quickly, at least.

Thanks again, everyone. Make a big fuss of your chickens today!

mine went missing the other day it turned out they decided to sleep in a tree in my back garden, i dont know how they got there and i dont know why after all my shouting they just ignored me.

i hope urs return im sure they will because mine always do x