A chickychickychick-ENN!!

Winter socks!

As much as I would love to be able to hand knit socks, is there ANY point when you can buy them for three pounds a pair from a craft fair? They stay up round your ankle with PLAITS!!! They look amazing on. Much better than in the photo. I got seven pairs (two pairs of Cornish blue).

Proper winter cosy. I say bring on the elements!

7429_263541005286_770670286_8774229_5562815_n.jpg

My husband lives in hand knitted socks. His Swiss grandmother (Oma) used to knit socks constantly, in all colours and different sizes, without using a pattern.

The men in the family always got socks, whilst we women got knitted oven gloves! :lol: I always longed for a pair of socks. I eventually got one pair (which shrunk in the wash) and a pair of booties I still wear to bed in the winter.

Oma passed away 8 years ago and now his sock collection is getting threadbare and depleted. He has suggested that I could darn them, but I replied that he could do them himself (or something similar!)

The oven gloves are still going strong though! :D

I have some gorgeous stripey winter socks knitted for me by a lovely friend.

6a00ccff898588673101101621f070860b-500pi

They are so soft and comfy, I wear them in bed in the winter and around the house with my black crocs mammoths.

I love them! I have started to wear big socks instead of slippers around the house. I sat next to someone during a particularly dire end of term music concert (why do they always put the decent music on last :wall: ) and she was knitting socks. I am tempted to have a go. Will have a squiz online to see if I can find a decent pattern.

If you can find the King Cole sock yarn, you get a free sock pattern with it. It was the first pattern I followed and is very simple (I've seen it on ebay with the pattern included).

Sock knitting is brilliant for killing time! Whenever I know I will be waiting (childrens swimming classes, doctors waiting room, car journeys) I take my sock knitting. They grow quite quickly when we visit the in laws! :wink:

Sirdar do knitting patterns for socks using just 2 normal needles.

Pattern 9208 socks in chunky yarn

Pattern 9135 socks in DK yarn

I received my chunky yarn sock pattern and yarn yesterday (so excited :oops::D ) but need to finish a jumper first. The yarn is a fairisle effect but there are a few other types of Sirdar yarn you can use with the pattern as well.

I can't knit sock using dpns or circular needles, normal needles are easy peasy :)

Try here

http://www.readicut.co.uk

http://www.knitandsew.co.uk

If you can find the King Cole sock yarn, you get a free sock pattern with it. It was the first pattern I followed and is very simple (I've seen it on ebay with the pattern included).

Sock knitting is brilliant for killing time! Whenever I know I will be waiting (childrens swimming classes, doctors waiting room, car journeys) I take my sock knitting. They grow quite quickly when we visit the in laws! :wink:

I've found the yarn on ebay, does the pattern make big chunky socks like Clarets?