Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Did a mega tomato harvest in the greenhouse and then made tomato and coriander sauce - all bottled up and should keep until the depths of winter when I fully inted to eat it up with some tasty pasta and garlic bread and remember the summer that ripened the tomatoes - also makes a much smaller finished quantity than last years green tomato chutney - need I say more!!

I have been a busy bee today....

1. Massive chilli - some for tea...the rest portioned and in the freezer

2. Homemade Pizza - for lunch

3. Massive Beef Stew - still in the slow cooker - tomorrow night dinner and the rest will be portioned for the freezer

4. Quiche - for our packed lunches

5. Hob "Ooops, word censored!"s/oaty biscuits - to munch and dunk

6. Savoury Mince - portioned and in the freezer

all of the above has been tested and YUMMY according to OH

7. Home made bread - first attempt - MASSIVE FAILURE :(

Looks like the breadmachine is def going on the xmas list

This is wierd... I was just coming on here to say how pleased i was that my 1st attempt of homemade bread worked and tasted lovely. I was walking round the house with it showing everyone :lol:

What went wrong with yours palmer07?

ok, ok, no need to boast! :wink:

I am not sure really - it looks ok but when I cut into it it was really dense and stodgy.......maybe i didn`t knead enough?

Bread does need quite a lot of kneading and a good long first rise. It is also important to cook it for long enough, until it sounds hollow when tapped underneath. I bake my large loaves for 40 minutes at 190 in my oven which cooks pretty hot.

Another factor can be not enough water in the mix, the dough should be tacky but not actually stick to your fingers.

Yeast can also be a factor, if you're using fresh be aware that it very definitely has a fridge life, about a week or two before it's just not up to the job. Even dried yeast can go stale. I actually don't knead for that long and it's always yummy, think I might have to get the loaf tin out now! :D

Anyway, my kitchen smells nice as I've got the first of two Christmas cakes on the go, the one in the oven is alcohol free for mum, second one has the fruit steeping in raspberry vodka (it's all I had :oops: ) but smells really yum! I even added some of the fruit from the vodka to the dried fruit. Guess which one I'll be eating! :lol:

BeckyBoo

The bottom layer of a trifle...with sponge of course! :wink:

Mince pies to be made later today, plus any other Xmas concoctions I have the ingredients for.

Hmmm shortbread, oatie biscuits, gingerbread men (oops I mean people), cinnamon stars & Xmas shaped biccies. Mulled wine making & Xmas carols. Oooo my kitchen will smell heavenly.

Emma.x

It's the things like that that keep a marriage ticking over :D

I made some individual toad in the holes with a brioche tin and balls of sausage meat and they were far more attractive and tastier than those done in a big tray. I only did it as a laugh to see what would happen, cooking the same old things gets a bit tedious :lol:

I've made ....

14 jars of Onion Marmalade

6 packs of Cranberry, Orange and Port sauce for the freezer

2lbs of Spiced Christmas Biscuit mix for the freezer so that I can make batches up quickly.

7 jars of Sweet Chilli Jam - a new recipe, not the Nigella 'slime' version I made last year.

I wanted something more like a jam/chutney and it is gorgeous!

Today I made 6 lbs of pastry - some to freeze and some made into mince pies.

A small amount of Gluten Free pastry - made into 6 mince pies for MIL

Bottled all the booze - and made labels ready to print.

Choc truffle mix - ready to make into truffles nearer to Christmas.