Lesley

What have you cooked today?

After eating some truly gross bakewell tarts that had thick pastry, next to no filling and an inch of icing on top :evil: I made my own :drool::drool::drool: Never done them before - oh my word, no comparison to the shop bought ones!

I didn't add cherries as they always get left - OHs comment was "they've got no cherries"

Me "but you don'tlike cherries"

OH "No but I like taking them off and leaving them on the side of the plate"

:eh:

55 chocolate crumbly biscuits, short bread and a banana cake.

Not all for me. :wink:

:shock: Blimey!

Is your wrist feeling better then?

I made an enormous vat of chilli for the freezer as my cooker is the next to come out of the kitchen in the dismantling part of the refurb and I won't be able to cook properly for 2 weeks, so have been batch baking food to reheat and cakes for the freezer too.

ooooooh. Home made baked beens. That sounds good. Is there a recipie on here for that???

I havent been on this bit for a while.

Yesterday I cooked..Deep breath...

3 victoria sandwich cakes, a prune and walnut cake, a cherry and coconut cake, 2 lots of chocolate brownies, 72 fairy cakes, 100 or so demerara buscuits, peanut butter cookies, flapjacks and a bara brith.

Im not hungry :lol: My mother in law is raising funds to go to Moldova on one of these holidays where you help to build houses etc.. She is having a concert this evening to raise money towords her costs and wants to sell some cakes.

Im a bit off cakes now. There was a fair amount of test tasting going on yesterday :wink::roll:

Yes please for the bean recipie Lesley. Its always better to have a tried and tested recipie.

It went really well. My sister in law also baked so we put on a really good show. There was a few left but not to many and my mother in law has taken them with her to church this morning. Altogether she raised £300 towords her fare. This was from sales of tea, coffee and cakes and dontations as we didnt charge an entry fee. She is really overwhelmed that she raised such a lot of money.

The majority of the audience were pensioners and I need to bear in mind if I need to do it again that a fair few of them are diabetic so need to make someting to suit them next time. It never really crossed my mind.

an interesting and very tasty pudding. This is from Good Food The Collection

Apple & Blackberry pudding (in my case apple, rhubarb and sultana pudding)

75g SR Flour

75g suet

100g white breadcrumbs

finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange

5 tbsp milk

25g butter

1 large eating apple ( I used 1 small coking and 1 eating apple) peeled cored and chopped

100g blackberries (I used cubed rhubarb from the freezer and 40g sultanas)

100g caster sugar

sift flour into a bowl add the suet, breadcrumbs, orange zest and enough milk to make a soft crumble mix . I mixed it lightly with a fork.

Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the apples for 5 minutes until softened. Stir into the crumble mic and put into a 2 pint dish. Spread blackberries over the top.

Put the orange juice, 125ml water and the sugar in a small pan and heat until the sugar dissolves then boil rapidly until pale golden. ( I added the sultanas to this mix about half way through) pour this mix over the pudding and leave for 10 minutes.

Bake in a preheated oven 200 degrees i did mine at 180 fan for 25 minutes. Serve with poring r whipped cream. Yummy :D

testing out my Apples for Jam cookbook - made strawberry and blueberry sorbet (still freezing) and chocolate ice cream (also still freezing) they taste a bit sweet for me I have to say but we'll see when they're done. Also got meringues in the oven and will be making potato and mince croquettes - apparently her kids could never resist them - I bet my fusspots can! :D

BeckyBoo

edited to say, the ice cream is delicious, although I'll be adding cocoa powder for a stronger chocolate hit next time, the mince croquettes needed more herbs, luckily it made tonnes and I froze a load of the mixture, the sorbet is fab and the meringues were a hit too!

This weekend we have made, crumpets, but most were piklets because they took too long to cook as crumpets, and english muffins from The River Cottage Bread book. The muffins were lovely, we had them with fried eggs inside for breakfast :drool:

I also made a yummy bread and butter pudding haven't had one in ages :D . OH is making Easter eggs too.