Chucky Mama

Scally's Chocolate Binge...again! (page 2)

Poor DD was home alone making a choccie birthday cake for OH's birthday last night but when her back was turned Scally our gorgeous but rather sly mutt stole and ate a large family bar of dark chocolate (highly toxic to dogs). Typically I was out and for the first time ever without my mobile so she had to get a neighbour to rush the dog to the Vets. Thankfully all is well following induced vomiting (not a pretty sight, was told that in looked like Delias chocolate bread and butter pudding as she had also stolen the end of the loaf of bread :vom: ) and a night on a drip as a precaution. Despite everything DD made a darned fine chocolate cake albeit after crying for about an hour as she thought she was responsible for potentially killing the dog :lol:

Oh poor thing, I'm glad she's ok. Actually its a timely reminder to everyone to try to keep chocolate out of the way of the dogs.

Also turkey, turkey skin etc. Our poor old dog became very ill with pancreatitis after eating some turkey and turkey skin a few Christmas ago, she actually became unconcious at one point. The vet said that they always see dogs that become ill because of all the rich food. Please don't let your dogs have any. :(

The phrase 'sick as a dog' springs to mind :vom:

Mmmmm, we came home one day to notes stuck on all entry doors by the neighbours' children who had come to call for DD & seen that one of the dogs had been very very poorly all over the carpet.........they were concerned we wouldn't notice & tread in it :vom: , bless their little cottons :wink:

Sha x

She is proper sly! You could leave a plate of food on the floor or put her in the boot of the car with the shopping and she wouldn't dream of touching it but when we go out of the kitchen for a while and she thinks the coast is clear things seem to disappear :roll: She is lovely though. Not nice to get a sloppy kiss off her though after she has stolen a pot of fish food :vom:

Oh dear, looks like we are here again. Scally is at the surgery after having stolen a box of After Eights during the night (+and a tub of dried porridge oats from M & S :? ) The calculated dark chocolate is enough to cause her serious harm so she has been made sick as is currently on a drip. There are a few minor heart issues that need monitoring over the day so she wont be home until later. :( Our fault entirely for not thinking to put the chocolates out of reach. The porridge however :? not sure how tasty that would have been :?

I remember some years ago (long before the chocolate-is-poisonous-for-dogs warnings became well known) my then dog (a labrador, needless to say) unwrapped all of the Christmas presents I had hidden upstairs and ate everything that was edible, including a huge quantity of miscellaneous Thorntons dark chocolate etc etc - she didn't even have the decency to be mildly unwell after that episode, anyone else would have been physically sick just based on the amount she ate, let alone the fact that it was mostly chocolate - didn't seem to do her any harm though :wink:

I hope young Scally picks up soon ('though I doubt very much that she will learn from this sorry episode!!!!)

I think she should be fine, she was a bit weird 1st thing but it is difficult to know whether it was her need to drink so much after the dry porridge or the effects of the chocolate and resulting heart anomalies. She is as tough as old boots but it would have been silly to to treat her in the circumstances.

Well, she is home and very happy and bright. She was ravenously hungry and had to have her stomach emptied so has tucked into a big bowl of food. One of the vets had a iPhone poisoning app on her phone 8) they calculated that she was medium to high risk when she plumbed in the quantity and her bodyweight. She was definitely a little odd this morning so it was just as well we acted. Silly moo wont have learned her lesson though but hopefully we have :lol: We will now be super careful with chocolate around the house. I am tempted to ban all dark chocolate :think: