Chucky Mama

Scally's Chocolate Binge...again! (page 2)

Glad to hear Scally's well and back home. There are people who have pets that don't steal, but I'm not one of them either.

Many years ago (again before it was established dogs and chocolate shouldn't mix) my brother accused me of stealing his sweets, after he found just the wrappers of his chocolate bar and polo mints on his bed. Deafened by my indignant denials, my mother thought to smell breath, and there was Aida-dog, looking the picture of innocence and minty freshness :shock::lol: ! To this day, we've no idea how a dog managed to get polo mints out of their wrapper ...

She also ate a tub of margarine without even being sick, Tas one of our other dogs drank someone's pint at the training club (we thought he was being good and quiet :oops: ) and Sooty my first cat swiped all the prawns out of the vol au vents before a party :lol::lol::lol:

And pets are supposed to be good for reducing stress!

Mine are inveterate thieves... everything in my house is kept well out of reach :roll:

Here's a photo which will make you groan; a fellow lurcher owner left her two young boys, plus a couple of lurchers downstairs while she did the hoovering upstairs... this is what she came downstairs to 20 minutes later.... :shock::shock:

flour001.jpg

Can you imagine cleaning that lot up?!

Glad to hear Scally's well and back home. There are people who have pets that don't steal, but I'm not one of them either.

Many years ago (again before it was established dogs and chocolate shouldn't mix) my brother accused me of stealing his sweets, after he found just the wrappers of his chocolate bar and polo mints on his bed. Deafened by my indignant denials, my mother thought to smell breath, and there was Aida-dog, looking the picture of innocence and minty freshness :shock::lol: ! To this day, we've no idea how a dog managed to get polo mints out of their wrapper ...

She also ate a tub of margarine without even being sick, Tas one of our other dogs drank someone's pint at the training club (we thought he was being good and quiet :oops: ) and Sooty my first cat swiped all the prawns out of the vol au vents before a party :lol::lol::lol:

And pets are supposed to be good for reducing stress!

:lol::lol: Scally is sly and only steals when she knows there is no one around for a while. You could put your supper on the floor and she wouldn't dream of touching it but go out and that is a different matter. The same with her going upstairs. She is not allowed upstairs and wont go up if you ask her but go out...she tip toes up there like a shot :lol:

Charlie is like that too... when I'm near, he wouldn't dream of getting into the kitchen, or steal anything. But if I leave the room, it's like he's suddenly sucked into there by some invisible, irresistible force...

Glad to hear Scally is well... we have strict rules about chocolate in our house too, it can only be consumed in rooms that are off limit for the dog, and still one day one of the kids managed to leave a packed of maltesers (a big packet) around and he gobbled them all up... thankfully their cocoa content isn't high... I used 75% dark chocolate to make cakes and brownies and I get totally paranoid, storing the brownies inside boxes inside cupboards, and putting the dirty bowls immediately in the dishwasher for fear he'll come lick them... my girls are usually careful, but it just takes a moment for the wrong thing to go in the wrong mouth!!

Glad she's OK and home safe. :D

Hearing after eights reminded me of a funny story of my dearly departed Henry.

My in laws used to have him when we were in work... One day they went out for a few hours and didn't take him (which was very rare).... He repaid them by taking a tiny bite out of every corner of a box of after eights that my MIL had left on the coffee table... And spitting it out on the carpet :lol:

He had no ill effects as hadn't actually eaten any of it, just demonstrated his spite at being left alone :lol:

I will always remember picking him up that day as I was presented with the box of after eights and my MIL completely cracking up laughing (thankfully, Henry was her "fur baby" and could do no wrong no matter what he did :wink: ) :P

CM, Tango is exactly the same as Scally. She is the picture of innocence while you are in the room but turn your back and suddenly anything edible becomes fair game :lol: She's pinched all sorts of things since we've had her, and emptied the kitchen bin several times too :roll: We're pretty vigilant about keeping food out of reach now.

Last week my mum and dad were looking after Tango for the day. Dad was just about to sit down with a cup of coffee and a nice slice of bread and home made blackcurrant jam when there was a knock at the door. When he returned - no trace of said bread and jam :oops: It was obvious who the culprit was because she then apparently had a sugar rush and went hyper! Thank goodness she didn't have the coffee too :shock::lol:

Mine has a doorstop on it. I still keep the utility room door closed though if we are out. Belt and braces approach.

Scally is very good at slurping the contents of a bowl and leaving unmoved on the work surface. My brother in law got into all sorts of trouble when the last piece of steak and kidney pie disappeared while they were looking after her. Scally sat there looking :angel: :angel: :lol:

What a little tinker!

its not only doggies who are chocaholics - a few yrs back ES had friends round and one lad came into the kitchen asking for another piece of choccie b'day cake - muggins here thought "ooh clever me making a delish cake" only for him to inform us our ginger cat had polished it off. Panic set in as someone remembered an article on choc and pets and a quick call to the vets and we were reassured the cat might have diarrhoea later :shock: . He was plonked into garden in disgrace and is now 5 yrs later still with us and still a scrounger - helped himself to baked beans the other day and spent another evening in the garden for obvious reasons. :lol:

Thought of you and Scally this morning CM. I had just given Tango her breakfast, then got distracted taking my sopping wet walking boots up to the airing cupboard in an attempt to dry them out. As I got upstairs, I heard CLONK, CRRRUUUUNCH! Whereupon I realised I'd stupidly left the dog meat on the worktop and it had been pulled off and was being rapidly consumed. I got downstairs just in time to rescue a tiny amount of the 1lb of meat I'd left on the side :shock: So lucky pooch had about 3.5 breakfasts this morning! She didn't look at all remorseful and came and asked for her tea as usual this evening :roll::lol:

:lol: Oh dear. They are quite cheeky to claim they are still hungry when they have been thieving :shameonu: We had a French boy staying with us the week of Scally's little mishap. 2 days after it happened he visited Cadbury World :anxious: He came home with a carrrier bag literally full of chocolate :anxious: I had to get my neighbour to have it as I couldn't face the shame if she somehow managed to steal it :lol:

A lurcher friend came home one day to find her dog had broken out of the kitchen and was standing on the dining table eating a loaf of bread that had been left in the middle of the table... out of reach of the dog :shock::roll:

Ruby knows she's not allowed to counter-surf but I wouldn't trust her if it was something really tasty. Cyrus still tries it on, but gives his intentions away by looking at me first to check if I am watching.