alligg

Lost our first hen

very sad day as we had to make the decision to send Dora to chicken heaven.

she has had a bad leg since before xmas and we took her to the vet but they were unable to find the exact cause,she slipped in the yard and it got worse instead of better.she was in a lot of pain and couldnt put any weight on it and had stopped eating and would just lay down all the time.

It was done very quickly and I know it was for the best but I am still upset.she was a lovely quiet little chook and was the first one I picked when we went to get them.

The other problem we have is do we get a replacement to even the numbers up and would it join the others ok or should we just leave the other 3 as they are and not upset them any further.

Alli

So sorry to hear about dora :(

As you still have three, you dont 'need' to get anymore, they will be perfectly happy as they are. however, if you 'wanted' to get more than i would certainly go for two rather than just one, as one would definately be picked on and bullied more than two would be. Two would still be bullied though so you would still have to do slow introductions.

:D

Sorry to hear about Dora, you did the right thing though, bless her.

3 hens will be happy together but if you do want to get more (two minimum for companionship) there is advice somewhere on the forum re. introductions. I got two more hens in December and my other two established girls still bully them, albeit not as bad as they did at first, but I still wouldn't put them all in together just yet. It can take quite a while to introduce new hens and you will need a separate coop and run for a while. Good luck x