Christian

D Day

As some of you may know, my OH has been off work for a couple of months after having a pituitary gland tumour removed (benign thank goodness). He has been taking hydrocortisone tablets 3 times a day to replace the hormone cortisol, that his body isn't making.

Cortisol is the stress hormone that basically keeps you alive/active. When you are ill, it helps fight infection etc.

We had to go to London again for tests on Tuesday, where they injected him with insulin and forced his body to become hypoglaecemic (like a diabetic) in an attempt to make his body produce the hormone cortisol.

We got the results today and it didn't work, so he has to take 3 tablets a day for the rest of his life. He burst into tears as he is feeling so emotional at the moment. The thought of being reliant on tabs, is scaring him.

We have to go to the hospital soon, and learn how to inject the drug in case of emergencies. I will have to learn too, in case he is unable to do it.

He will lead a full life and without the surgery he would have become blind. But it is so difficult always being brave for him, selfish I know.

I am basically writing this just to let it out.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Christian,

Sorry to hear your partner's news.....

but whats three tablets or a little prick :shock:

What matters is the life you will be able to share together :D

I'm sure that going through all of the tests, hospital visits etc were extremely stressful for you both, but trying times like these show you both how strong your love and relationship really is.

Best wishes and keep smiling

Love xx

Aw, so sorry to hear this Christian: You have both been through so much lately. Its so disappointing when things don't work out quite as well as you'd hoped.

I'm sure Jason will adapt, like Jaime said, its nothing really, but with your jobs, I can see how its going to be difficult for him, with different time zones etc.

Big hugs to you both. Will they maybe try again to make him hypoglaecemic some time in the future to see if will make his body kick in?

I know you'll both be ok, and tell him I look forward to our next curry very soon.

xxx

Very sorry to hear about the stressful and worrying time you've had lately.

:(

I know its easy for me to say, but just try to stay positive and strong together you will get through this.

:pray::pray: that everything will be fine for you both.

When im feeling down/under the weather/poorly (ive just returned to work after 2 months off sick) I always try to think "well, there's always someone worse off than me"...and it puts things into perspective and makes me appreciate what I actually do have !!

Christian, I'm so sorry to hear that your poor partner has more problems to cope with. It must be such a strain for you both but taking tablets is so much better than the alternative. The staff at the hospital will teach you how to give the injections so you'll feel really confident if you find you have to do it - if I can do it, so can you :wink: .

Best of luck to you both and hope he's soon fit and well again.

Big hugs to you both xxx

Oh Christian what a stress for you both :(

I know its not the same and much less serious but my mum has been on tablets for the last 20 years as she suffers from high blood pressure - it was a shock at first for her too thinking that she would need tablets for the rest of her life but it is now just part of her daily routine and she doesnt bat an eye lid anymore. :D

Im sure you will both adapt and adjust to this new situation but you know we are always here if you need to vent, an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on.

Much love to you both

xox

So sorry to hear your news.

Thank goodness the tumour was benign and removed without damage to his sight.

I'm sure in time he will accept the tablet taking as part of his routine and will not give the matter too much thought....I suppose it's the overwhelming change of circumstances that are so difficult to cope with.

All the best to you both...and aren't we lucky to have this wonderful group of cyber kindred spirits to turn to when things are not going well.

Best wishes to you both Christian.

I know how hard it is to be strong for a relative when they are sick.

No-one ever asks how you are & how you are coping ,do they?

You both have your lives ahead of you now,thanks to 3 little pills a day - a blessing indeed :P

Thanks for all your support and kind words! :D

The tablets aren't so much of a problem, its just that he feels awful, even though he is taking them! He will sleep all night then have a couple of naps during the day as he is soooo exhausted. More tests soon, so hopefully they will get the levels right! He is also transfering to Short haul so he can manage the tablet taking better! Can't wait to see him getting up at 2.30am for the 5am Paris! :shock:

Thanks for listening to me waffle on, just needed to get it off my chest.

Thanks for all your support and kind words! :D

Thanks for listening to me waffle on, just needed to get it off my chest.

thats understandable. I often think these things are worse for the people around than the sufferer. I hope they get the dosage sorted soon and that things settle down.

Just adding my sympathies and best wishes to you and your partner Christian.

It's a huge shock and realisation you have both been through and it's hard making life-style changes when you are so used to the same routine you have had for years.

Be nice to yourself and don't feel bad for needing to talk about your feelings. Bottling things up is definatley not the healthy choice, and of course, it's always nice to know there are other people in a similar situation that make you realise you're not going bonkers and you will both learn to adjust.

It's no-way related to your situation, but I go through days as a (fairly) new Mum and wonder if I'm the only one feeling the way I do. I talk to my friends on the forum here and I've joined a few groups near home, and I find it invaluable being able to talk to others in a simialr situation. It makes me feel better about myself without feeling selfish or guilty.

:) Hi Christian, Just adding my support to you too, you've both had such a shock to the system. It's hard being a tower of strength for a loved one, whilst crumbling inside, so it is good to admit your own feelings to friends one step removed from the situation. Hope it keeps your strength up knowing how much your fellow chickenkeepers care.

It's amazingly good news that the tumour was benign and also that the op was done so successfully. But, it's perfectly natural for Jason to feel initially as if his body has let him down, being reliant on pills/injections. However, I'm sure that when the levels have settled and he starts to feel better, he'll soon be back to normal and be so glad that you were there for him.

Meanwhile, sending you both a hug, and a cup of tea & shoulder for you whenever you need it. Best wishes xx

Hi Christian, these things will take time to get used to and for a daily routine to be re-established so that everything seems 'normal' again. Sending you and your OH very best wishes - thank goodness you have each other.

My turn to waffle a bit now, but it backs up what other people have said earlier.....

I have just been told that my Grandad (age 79) has bowel cancer. He is undergoing the initial tests etc to see whether they can operate. He has already had a couple of heart attacks and strokes so the main worry is that he might not even make it through an operation. I was feeling really down and sorry for myself at work.....I got on the train and sat next to a lady and we got chatting. I would say she was in her 70/80s. She had got the train to Cambridge (quite a long journey from her home) and then walked to the hospital to see her grand daughter who, at 30 years old, has had a serious brain haemorrhage which is currently inoperable. She has three very young children and is having to cope with the fact that she may not live to see them grow up.

Talking to her really put things in perspective and although I am very worried about my grandad, at least he has had a good long life. There is always someone worse off.

Waffle over :wink:

xxxxxx

I have just been told that my Grandad (age 79) has bowel cancer. He is undergoing the initial tests etc to see whether they can operate. He has already had a couple of heart attacks and strokes so the main worry is that he might not even make it through an operation. I was feeling really down and sorry for myself at work.....I got on the train and sat next to a lady and we got chatting. I would say she was in her 70/80s. She had got the train to Cambridge (quite a long journey from her home) and then walked to the hospital to see her grand daughter who, at 30 years old, has had a serious brain haemorrhage which is currently inoperable. She has three very young children and is having to cope with the fact that she may not live to see them grow up.

Talking to her really put things in perspective and although I am very worried about my grandad, at least he has had a good long life. There is always someone worse off.

Your not kidding Looney. I hope your Grandad will be ok.

My Uncle Bill...a Dunkirk Veteran and real hero is going through exactly the same at present. Operation in 3 weeks.

Let's hope for the best for both of them and will be thinking about the young lady you describe.

XX

Only just had a chance to catch up...............

Big Hugs to you both Christian - it always helps to talk someone :D I hope things start to improve soon and the hospital can help with medication doses and getting them right.

Also big hugs to everyone else who going through tough times.

xx

He is feeling a lot better at the mo, just taking it easy and plodding on. He is really looking forward to coming back to work ( :shock: freak :wink: )

The transfer to short haul will make it easier to manage the medication and he can't wait to start! (poor deluded boy :wink: )

Thank you all for the support you have shown us both, it really means so much!