Blackrocksrock Posted April 27, 2015 Share Posted April 27, 2015 It really looks awesome! I'm not made for big projects... Get bored too fast... It did sit a while as I was not too keen on the binding of it as I have always done binding by hand after sewing on one side but this time I machine stitched it and was pleased enough with that so I would do again. I get bored easily too but as I had been given some fabric as a present I really had to finish it. My new one is pieced onto white 10" Layer cakes and is strips but a white empty strip is left in the middle so the strips all line up when its finished - we will see on that one!! But its a slow one as there are other things to do outside such as the garden when the weather clears - we had 3 inches snow yesterday and its still white today! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 27, 2015 Share Posted April 27, 2015 That's a lovely quilt. And you've finished it in one swoop. I have so many on the go! Puts me to shame it does! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted April 27, 2015 Share Posted April 27, 2015 That's a lovely quilt. And you've finished it in one swoop. I have so many on the go! Puts me to shame it does! But you do really really lovely ones - I am just learning - I love your needlework. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 28, 2015 Share Posted April 28, 2015 Awww thank you. Breaking away from the current one, I've started making a cushion as a thank you gift. Because we joked about hedgehogs, I ordered some fabric from Spoonflower. So I thought I'd do a Celtic style bias knots around the hedgehog. Still doodling for ideas but the centre bit is done. Not done this before although I've done a bit of applique, so it's not brilliant at the join. Luckily the batik fabric hides a lot. Plus I'm using silk thread so it does blend in. I can see the bits on the background but I think they may be hidden when I quilt in the ditch. This is it so far: Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 28, 2015 Share Posted April 28, 2015 Cute, that's tiny applique stitches Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted April 29, 2015 Share Posted April 29, 2015 I got some fabric for xmas so started after that and finished last week! That is amazing. I would love to try something like that. Chrissie Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted April 29, 2015 Share Posted April 29, 2015 Hedgehogs are a particular favourite of mine and the small stitching is really good - well done - love to see it when its finished. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 29, 2015 Share Posted April 29, 2015 Thank you. It's on hold now until I get my quilt room back. 8 days to go!!! Well till the boy moves out. I had to make a start otherwise I'd have got stressy! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 30, 2015 Share Posted April 30, 2015 Boy not moving out. Naughty landlord and incompetent estate agents. The youngsters are frantically trying to find a new place. They'd paid the deposit and signed their contracts. Landlord didn't and they weren't told until today - they were supposed to get the keys on the 7th! Landlord sold house instead (although it is still on another agent's rental list as available - sounds dodgy). So I will have to wait a bit longer. I guess I'd better start cracking!!!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted May 1, 2015 Share Posted May 1, 2015 Bought some oilcloth and made this for a friend who is in to purple. Not the best but a first! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheGirlsMum Posted May 1, 2015 Share Posted May 1, 2015 That's brilliant never thought of using oil cloth. Was it easy to handle and what thread did you use ......and, do you have a pattern? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 That's brilliant never thought of using oil cloth. Was it easy to handle and what thread did you use ......and, do you have a pattern? No pattern quite easy to sew lots of internet searching it does not frayso thats a bonus and have made some toilet bags and a bag for my passport and documents with zips they are so easy to put in. Bought a load of off cuts from Norfolk textiles for £35 and have loads of cloth. Everyone getting bag presents!!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 Ooooh I like that. Well done, your friend will be delighted. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 Ooh I love the oilcloth bag! I have something similar on my 'project' list (when I've finished all the UFOs ) I've just made this panda beanie hat as a leaving present for a colleague - bit of an 'in' joke about pandas, I'm not sure he will ever wear it as the sizing didn't quite work out! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 That's brilliant love it's expression Love the oilcloth bag, can you use your machine to sew through oilcloth? I've seen it at Cottonpatch and was thinking of making make up bags. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 I love the panda too and yes machine oilcloth no problem but need a sharp needle and a bigger stitch. I made some box bags for toiletries and put a zip in the middle they are very easy Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 2, 2015 Share Posted May 2, 2015 Thanks I'll pick some up at Malvern then in a couple of weeks Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kinsk Posted May 10, 2015 Share Posted May 10, 2015 Made these for Mum for Mothers Day They look better in real life than the picture! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted May 10, 2015 Share Posted May 10, 2015 Those are really nice Kinsk especially as they will last forever I bet your Mum was impressed by those. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted May 10, 2015 Share Posted May 10, 2015 Well done - they are lovely for your mum and unlike fresh flowers she will have them all year long. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cat tails Posted May 10, 2015 Share Posted May 10, 2015 Really nice! Did she like em? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 10, 2015 Share Posted May 10, 2015 Wow you must love your mum lots Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 11, 2015 Share Posted May 11, 2015 Really pretty! What a good idea. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted May 11, 2015 Share Posted May 11, 2015 Wow, those flowers are AMAZING!!!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 13, 2015 Share Posted May 13, 2015 Not entirely happy with the piping on the cushion, it's going a bit wonky. Next time I'll make sure I have everything ruled out properly and not trying to do it as best as I can with the equipment I have to hand. And somehow I have 2 big square non-slip rulers that have disappeared!! Heaven knows where they are now. The only other thing I can say is - I must have wonky eyes! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...