craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

Well I made a mistake of sewing a bigger square together - that just makes it harder to sew the squares in the inside part, so when I get rid of all the pre-made blocks of 4 then I'll just add strips of one instead (if you know what I mean).

Here it is at the moment. Quite a bit bigger - and now you can see the 3 different neutrals - only had the 2 on the small bit.

20140711_170030_zpsa9ab16a6.jpg

Wow, you are very clever to make something like that.

You must have a lot of patience.

Well done, can't wait to see it when it is finished :D

Thank you - you may have a long wait! :lol: This is probably about 3 and a half feet square now. Not quite enough for a tablecloth yet. Just wanted to use up some old fabric that I had in my stash and no idea how to use it - on of those kiddies in a sweetshop moment when I first found lovely fabrics. Added some newer batiks to lift it all.

My friend and I visited Lesley and have been making felt, great to learn with an expert.

Here's what we made. This is my abstract piece needing embellishing and quilting

B00A90A4-10DE-41B3-A1C5-B2AF3E7CBD9D_zps88dqhumk.jpg

This is Jane's, first time felting and she's created an amazing underwater scene

C44458C9-5356-4294-AC9C-70A9D1DB6850_zpslrea7ddv.jpg

and Lesley had a go at Ox eye daisies that are going to be fabulous with orange! centres

8FB2DBF1-67B5-4051-B712-C4D4E13F8E57_zps1jhskivp.jpg

Here's some of the things Lesley has been making. Look at these!

A24CCA0B-478A-4F8D-886F-0B105AAEEA43_zps6vgnv06t.jpg

and

B545FB51-B95F-4077-B50B-6BD0C795269F_zpsiaq2se80.jpg

This has taken ages so I'll post the felt flowers we made tomorrow and some other bits.

OK that last section has now been completed - onto the next lot of squares, but as I already made up bigger sections I'm going to have the same issue for one side. The rest will be small squares.

20140921_162024_zpsa3cefccb.jpg

Each backing section is made by sewing 4 smaller sections together and then joined in one lengthy border. Next time I will just add the one square length around the outside so that the fillers are easier to manoeuvre and I don't have a bundle of fabric in my hands when I try and turn and sew. And yes Plummy I will take the pics for you step by step version.

:D

That is astounding :D You are so clever :D It looks so complicated with all the curves, but I think that's what makes it so beautiful as well, revealing the shape underneath which isn't just a square :D I'm sure you could be sellling these if you wanted. Thanks for posting!

I love the felt work as well - orange on blue is such a good look, I love the fishy! Applause all round ladies 8)

Thank you peepsies. Another side bit sewn together and now added to the quilt. The other 3 sides I can now do smaller so should be easier to sew the windows after this lump is done. I did take piccies along the way - have been requested to do step by step from the beginning by some American ladies (I feel quite honoured) - so I've taken close ups to show that it isn't perfect and then hopefully when the windows are added the slight hiccups won't be noticed. That and I've no intention of unpicking that lot! :lol: Surprisingly the curves are quite easy, it's just peeled down and I backstitch it all in. Although everything is pinned - with loads of pins. Even my fingers are pinned! That's the noisy bit of quilting - "YEARGHHHH!!!" - which is usually when I turn the quilt around and a pin sticks in my tummy! :lol::roll:

urgh a red quilt now then. How about Elmers school glue to hold the pieces, it washes out and is less painful :lol:

I've got all my blocks put together for my nieces horses quilt (bit short on horses but high on bright dots and flowers). Now to iron, trim and arrange. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Thankfully not much blood. In fact I must be very thick skinned (in more ways than one)! :lol: Quilt still the colour it should be apart from a teeny bit of choccy that I think now matches the darker background. I already did a note to self to not eat a minty Magnum while quilt is still on lap! :oops: Luckily it was a teeeeeeeny weeeeeny crumb. It did produce a lot of swear words as I gently washed the offending stuff off!

Nearly done then Plumsie. Will look forward to the piccy when it's finished. :D

Never used poly. But then I've never prewashed batting anyway - just the fabric.

I have used Quilter's Dream products and Hobbs Heirloom ones. There's bamboo wadding out there now too.

This is from The Cotton Patch website - you can order a sample of waddings and they'll send you a pack so you can feel which you prefer:

http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Browse_All_Waddings.html

Just going to add - that "green" one looks interesting!

Big fan of Quilters Dream myself. It's fab to work with. I did try polyester once never again. Quilters Dream kind of sticks to the fabric when you lay it out and doesn't slip around. It got the vote from the ladies of the local craft club when we were assembling one of my quilts (on the floor of the church we meet in).its warm and snugly to and doesn't bunch when quilting.if you pm me your address I can pop a little sample in the post. Never one to waste anything I keep the left overs.......my bees have quilters dream as their insulation in the roofs of their hives :lol: