Cinnamon Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 My youngest has taken it upon herself to try to bleach her dark brown hair platinum blonde. It has turned out a rather vibrant apricot shade...... Should we bleach it again,and if so,which bleach should we use? All this is turning me grey! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 Hm ... Apricot sounds nice ... Seriously though, I think it may be better to get it done professionally. If you bleach it again it could ruin her hair if it's long. If it's very short it may be worth a try - it will soon grow out again! Bleach on dark brown hair is always difficult, especially if the hair has a lot of red in it. The bits of my hair that are still dark brown go an apricotty colour - luckily most of it is grey so I just go pale blonde with apricot low lights I wouldn't like to do it twice though - once is enough to really dry it out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 Having seen one of DD's friend bleach her own hair and then for it to start falling out and snapping off I'd take her to a hairdressers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 I have this problem when I bleached (to go other colours) I go brassy. You can't just stick a dye over the top as it will go horrible so for example if the hair hair has a yellow base dont use dye that has a ble baseor you could end up greeniish If shes peach I'm guessing shes still slightly red so maybe something with a green/blue base would work Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 26, 2010 Author Share Posted June 26, 2010 Ok, I have talked her out of re bleaching it until we have talked to Andy,our hairdresser (who warned her not to do this in the first place!) Have bought a goldy brown semi permanent dye to go over it,in case school kick up a fuss. They may do,although only natural colours are allowed,& it is a true strawberry blonde at the moment,just pretty vibrant. When she grows roots,it will either have to be dyed over,or the roots bleached to match as they don't allow strong contrasts in colour either. She actually looks just like Indiana,out orange Poland cockerel,especially as she has now backcombed it & stuck it up with hairspray Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 Bless her! It actually sounds quite cool! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 26, 2010 Author Share Posted June 26, 2010 I will try to get a photo later - I actually quite like it,but am concerned about what the school will say Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 Sarah, dye your hair the same colour, then when the school contact you to complain, go up and say you've never been so insulted as it's a genetic thing, and your daughter has been dying her hair dark all these years to fit in Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 26, 2010 Author Share Posted June 26, 2010 Funnily enough,its not a million miles from my colour - just a bit lighter I bought a dye,my usual one,today in Boots when I got a brown for the daughter,as they were on 2 for £10,so if they do call at least I will look a brighter colour & less grey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted June 26, 2010 Share Posted June 26, 2010 I am pretty ignorant about this but I think hairdressers can neutralise the effects of bleach. I think I read it somewhere, I guess they use some kind of alkali. Her hair sounds a pretty colour. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 27, 2010 Author Share Posted June 27, 2010 Here it is - please excuse the daughters styling....it is for her Facebook profile picture,so needs to be so Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 I think it looks lovely! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 Me too! Looks natural, like you say, a nice strawberry blonde Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 i think she looks great she needs to take care of it or it will be like straw (do they still do hot-oil - that might help) cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 She's very pretty but it does look quite dry and brittle Your hairdresser will put a darker colour to neutralise and then a conditioning colour to keep it healthy - nearer to her own colour Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 27, 2010 Author Share Posted June 27, 2010 She is pretty good at looking after her hair (normally) & has had a deep conditioning treatment on all morning. But she is a natural curly top like me & straightens it to within an inch of its life If she can get away with it at school for the next week,then she has work experience at Lush the week after,where they positively encourage wild hair. Then she is looking at putting a semi permanent wild colour in for Reading Festival - Orange,red or hot pink,maybe They was out in 3 weeks or so,so it should be out in time for school in September Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 It is a lovely hair colour. I hope her school are ok with it. Would your daughter wear it in a pony tail so they don't notice it, are they very strict about make up and such? She'll be perfect for working at Lush! I love the girls they have working in there, always friendly and helpful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 It looks gorgeous! I hope school don't make a fuss, it would be a shame Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted June 27, 2010 Share Posted June 27, 2010 It looks OK and she suits it but do condition loads and loads or it will be the straw in strawbery blonde! and less straightening would be best. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted June 28, 2010 Share Posted June 28, 2010 Try tigi Rockaholic shampoo, conditioner and serum, Very good for us bottle blondes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 28, 2010 Share Posted June 28, 2010 It looks lovely Sarah. I am naturally grey now, but used to be dark brown and had orange stripes in a flat-top at one stage - all that bleaching really knackers your hair and is best avoided if possible. Mine started to snap off after a while. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 28, 2010 Author Share Posted June 28, 2010 Try tigi Rockaholic shampoo, conditioner and serum, Very good for us bottle blondes Thanks - I will look out for it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Millihelen Posted June 28, 2010 Share Posted June 28, 2010 I think your daughter looks lovely! I've bleached my son's hair a couple of times for him. Its naturally light brown/dark blonde - but even so, it is still a bit reddish when bleached. My hairdresser said its because products sold for home use don't contain strong enough bleach to go really platinum blonde. I don't know if thats true. My problem is stopping him from dying it blue black! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted June 28, 2010 Share Posted June 28, 2010 I think it looks stunning and very shiny in the sunlight.....I hope she can keep it like that.....what product did you use? May add it to my list of colours...... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 28, 2010 Author Share Posted June 28, 2010 It was a Schwartzkopv (*sp) one - Ice Blonde,I think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...