dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

I'm thinking of splashing out on a Kindle for absolutely no good reason other than I want one :roll: .

I know some of you have them, so were they a good buy and would you recommend one? If so, is it worth spending the extra £40 on the 3 rather than the standard? (and in little non-techie words :shock: , what does the 3 do that the standard doesn't?)

Previous recommendations from Omletters led to the slow cooker and the breadmaker, both of which are well-used, so I know I can rely on you :D.

Many thanks.

just a quick addition WH Smiths now do a Wifi Samsung ereader too. Might be worth looking and comparing the two see which is ok.

I would love a Kindle but already have a Sony ereader (wouldnt be without it :D ) and cant transfer all the books over to it. Different format. :(

I really think ereaders are fantastic. If you like to read they are the way forward. Good luck with whichever one you decide on. xx

Edited by Guest

I considered an Ipad, but only briefly once I saw the cheapest one cost over 4 times as much as a basic Kindle :shock: . From what Claret and Dizzy-Deb have said, it sounds like there may soon be more products on the market, so it might be a good time to listen to Prudence rather than Indulgence :think: and put the credit card away for now ...

I'd still appreciate recommendations though :D

Heres the Samsung one:-

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=34763001

I think if I get to change mine I am going to have to go for this one, as looks like will accept the books already have for the Sony. Theres good section on reviews at bottom page.

I may go see one in the flesh when next off work :D

I like the thought of being able to download wifi rather than plug into pc and do that way. xx

just a quick addition WH Smiths now do a Wifi Samsung ereader too. Might be worth looking and comparing the two see which is ok.

I would love a Kindle but already have a Sony ereader (wouldnt be without it :D ) and cant transfer all the books over to it. Different format. :(

I really think ereaders are fantastic. If you like to read they are the way forward. Good luck with whichever one you decide on. xx

If you use the free program: Calibre, you can convert just about any e-book format to any other, so you could change all your sony-compatible books to kindle ones or any other format. I have recently obtained the kindle pc program so I can download kindle versions of books from Amazon. It is quite easy then to transfer them to a format that the Sony recognizes using Calibre.

I love, love, love my sony and could not live without it.

Edited to add the link to the Calibre download site: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

I am waiting for a dispatch date for my kindle 3 3GWifi (hopefully next week) can't wait. I have downloaded for kindle for PC as well and have already bought one ebook which I am reaing on PC and will transfer to kindle when it arrives. Have also downloaded several samples as well which gives you the first couple of chapters to try before you decide whether to buy which is a great idea. I have had my kindle cover already so am pretending I have the reader as well :lol:

I have the Sony ereader and have for years - I'm now on my second. I still have the original version, that Sony are very kindly going to part exchange for me so I can get OH a pocket version :) I have the touch. I've seen kindles, and they're nice and swishy looking, the screen looks as good (if a bit smaller) as the Sony screen and the wifi would make it extremely convenient to add books (my only real gripe with the sony is the faffing about with their software, but you can avoid that if your computer takes SD cards directly, which mine does). I don't like the idea of being tied to Amazon though - I get my books from all over the place, but most of them come from small publishing houses in america.

An iPad would knacker your eyes, especially if you read as much as I do (LOTS).

A colleague has just returned from the Far East with an advance version of the new Galaxy tab; in their opinion it's better than their Kindle.

I'm with Prudence :wink:

Stuff prudence,its a Kindle each & every time for me, & the Kindle 3 is an amazing piece of kit :lol:

:lol: you know me Sarah, old-fashioned and won't buy anything unless it's absolutely essential :wink: It'd be wasted on me anyhow - I don't get the time to read these days.

Get an iPad - you can do so much with it and the PDF reader is ideal for ebooks.

You can do quite a bit with it, but it is expensive! Also, you have to use iTunes for everything, which is annoying. Its not that good for reading books off either, as it is backlit and not digital ink.

I have an ipad and its fantastic :D

I can read on it, play games on it, post on the forum on it, surf the internet on it, watch TV on it, download videos into it, play all my music on it, keep organised with it, look at my photos on it (can use it as a digital photoframe), I am even writing a novel on it.

In short, best money I have ever spent and I can't imagine life without it now, and as it is soooo much smaller than a laptop I can just put it in my handbag and take it everywhere with me 8)

Fred - I find it great for reading books if you use the Amazon Kindle app, as you can choose the screen display that is best for you :wink:

Get an iPad - you can do so much with it and the PDF reader is ideal for ebooks.

You can do quite a bit with it, but it is expensive! Also, you have to use iTunes for everything, which is annoying. Its not that good for reading books off either, as it is backlit and not digital ink.

I agree with Fred, the iPad is nice and I wouldn't say no to one, but it is a completely different product from the Kindle and can't understand why they keep getting compared :?

By the way my Kindle should be delivered soon :pray:

Another thing with the ipad,which is a nice piece of kit,is that it has a slightly shiny screen.

The screen on the Kindle is totally non reflective,so its a real pleasure to use.

If you have an iphone or an Android phone,you can also get the free Kindle app for your phone, which is handy to have in cases where you are sitting around for a long while (like the 40 min wait I had at the orthodontist earlier). It syncs with your Kindle,so you are always at the right page too.

I absolutely adore my Kindle,& its been worth the money in the extra space i am gaining on my bookshelves alone,as I am a very big reader 8)

Hi

I didnt know which one to get and asked the same question before but in the end I am awaiting in the long queue of people for one kindle 3 to arrive around 17th September and then I ordered another for OH.

As soon as I get it will let you know how I get on as I am a techno phobe and have never owned an ereader before.

I was tempted to get a Sony PRS 300 due to them being £99 in Waterstones on line but then it was having to plug it in to a computer and on holiday I thought 3G and Wifi etc would be convenient.(or my son thought that was the best idea) I did nearly get the cheaper kindle with just wi fi but my son said may as well get the 3G(& I havent got a clue what I am on about here :roll::lol: )I do use Amazon a lot to buy lots of things.

My OH wanted an I pad and we visited the Cambridge Apple store and I felt giddy with that awful screen that moves around and I understand the reading ink on the screen is like a normal PC so not so easy on the eyeballs???Plus price and I did read that there was a problem with them overheating?? but I could be wrong as OH friends have them and love them.

Donald :)

Following Cinnamon's glowing reviews, (you have a lot to answer for Sarah!! ;) )I ordered a Kindle and it arrived yesterday. I have to say that I am very impressed with it. I haven't actually managed to read too much on it yet though as I have just been playing with it and getting some samples.

I have had a look through the store and, whilst there are some reasonably priced "books" I was surprised that a lot of the ones that I was interested in were over £6. I guess that they are still in the equivalent of "hardbook" status and may come down later.

If you use the free program: Calibre, you can convert just about any e-book format to any other, so you could change all your sony-compatible books to kindle ones or any other format. I have recently obtained the kindle pc program so I can download kindle versions of books from Amazon. It is quite easy then to transfer them to a format that the Sony recognizes using Calibre.

I love, love, love my sony and could not live without it.

Edited to add the link to the Calibre download site: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

OOOh thats really interesting, thanks for that information. I will have a look at it and see how easy it is to do. :D:D

I never knew you could do anything like that. Off to look at the kindle again :wink::lol: