dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

Following Cinnamon's glowing reviews, (you have a lot to answer for Sarah!! ;) )I ordered a Kindle and it arrived yesterday. I have to say that I am very impressed with it. I haven't actually managed to read too much on it yet though as I have just been playing with it and getting some samples.

I have had a look through the store and, whilst there are some reasonably priced "books" I was surprised that a lot of the ones that I was interested in were over £6. I guess that they are still in the equivalent of "hardbook" status and may come down later.

I don't know what kind of books you like, but there are some good sites for obtaining free e-books. Most are free because they are out of copyright, but you can also borrow books from virtual lending libraries for free. Some councils do lend e-books from their libraries but there are also online libraries such as "The Burgomeister" from whom you can borrow e-books. I love the Burgomeister because it has lots of science fiction and detective novels, both genres that I like to read. You can find the library here.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm glad I asked and knew you would have answers :D. Two more questions please:-

What does the 3 do that the standard one doesn't? You all seem to buy the 3 and there must be a good reason for paying more.

Does the Calibre software mean you can buy books for Kindle other than through Amazon? I've noticed essentials like Harry Potter are not available throough Amazon for Kindle :shock:

Next decision is to get a leather cover off ebay or splurge on the official kindle 3 cover....?? Decisions :whistle: donald

I have the official one & am really happy with it.

Its light,flexible & really protective,plus its a nice shade of pink :P

I had a tuff Luv one for my old Kindle2, which was also really nice,but much bulkier.

The Amazon leather one also holds the Kindle by the 'spine',so there is no cover on the actual face of the machine,which is a real bonus 8)

I was looking at a friend's Kindle last night; he reads a lot of technical manuals and can use it to read them in pdf format, which avoids lugging heavy books around. he uses the train a lot, so gets a lot of use from it. I was pleasantly surprised at the screen definition ('liquid ink') but it's not for me - I'd only use it once a year when I go on holiday.

Rosie reads all the time, and looked at it but she says that she prefers to have a book in her hand... she usually borrows from the local or school library.

Does the Calibre software mean you can buy books for Kindle other than through Amazon? I've noticed essentials like Harry Potter are not available through Amazon for Kindle :shock:

Probably, you can convert a wide range of formats. This is what the help files for Calibre say:

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: AZW, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT

** PRC is a generic format, calibre supports PRC files with TextRead and MOBIBook headers

I have found out that the Kindle supports AZW, MOBI, PRC, AZW1, TPZ, TXT. (The PRS line from Sony supports EPUB, LRF, LRX, RTF, PDF, TXT.) So you could buy your books in EPUB formats and then convert to MOBI format for your Kindle.

Briefly: Make sure you are in library view (click "library") if not already, now click "add books" and browse to where you have stored your e-books on your computer, select and add them to the library. Then highlight the book you want to convert and click "convert" on the top left will be a drop down menu that shows the input format and on the top right a drop down menu with the output format: choose a suitable output format for your device (the program will suggest the best one based on the input format so as long as the suggested one is suitable for the device, go with that, otherwise choose, say, EPUB). Click OK. Before you send the book to your Kindle or e-reader, you can edit the meta-data so if the author or title details shown are wrong you can correct it now. You can even fetch meta data from the server which might have the blurb you would find on the back of a real book. When ready, click the drop down menu under "send to device" and choose "send specific format" choose the right format for your device and it will send it.

I use Diesel ebooks a fair bit for new stuff (like the Sookie Stackhouse novels and the Temeraire series), but some books you won't be able to order as they're only available in america. sigh.

I loathe and revile the Waterstones website (such a ripoff!). If I only had an american credit card I'd use the sony bookstore, as it's brilliant and supercheap, but sadly not available to UK customers. I had a gift card from a friend for $50 which got me a LOT of books.

For Scifi I use Baen - they're brilliant, but quite specific, publishers. I also get quite a lot of free ebooks from the internet.

Very many thanks for all your replies and reviews, I knew I could rely on Omleteers :D .

I finally made up my mind and Indulgence won over Prudence - not much of a :shock: there! - and I've ordered a Kindle 3G today, in the hope of receiving it and knowing how to work it before my hols in November. Still not entirely convinced at paying extra for the 3G, but none of you said not to ... :roll:.

Thanks also for the reference to Calibre and if I can't get it to work, I'll know where to come for instructions I can understand. I will be needing the Harry Potters.

At least Amazon vouchers will be easy for the family to wrap at Xmas and birthdays! :D

I was hoping my first ordered kindle 3G was going to arrive it did say 17th September but its not here yet :(

Still a few more hours..um have a feeling its not going to turn up :pray:

I need it for a holiday end October so I thought it will give me time to get use to it.

OH one, I only just ordered so I now am hoping his will turn up...cos he isnt borrowing mine :lol:

donald :twisted: