dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

I love my Kindle too!

Did have a minor hiccup the other day when I'd downloaded some stuff and it 'froze' but was simple to rectify.

Am enjoying revisiting the classics - including those more for 'children' - e.g. What Katy Did; Black Beauty etc. :D

How sad am I - I've only just taken the plastic film off the front of it (had it 2/3 weeks now :lol: )

Happy Birthday - hope you enjoy your kindle. You do realise it's addictive though? I can't put mine down - I am a fast reader so constantly downloading new reading material. Heaven. The only thing is I think they should find a way of impregnating it with that "new book smell" That way my reading time would be pure heaven.!!

I've yet to investigate the free books, do you use Stacks or Amazon?

So far only Amazon - or the websites that Amazon points you to (manybooks?).

I'm busy rushing to finish my paper copy of a Helen Dunmore book so I can start using the Kindle (oh yes and the few books my MIL got me for Chrimbo). By the end of March I should be reading on the Kindle though. LOL.

I have the Kindle and the Kindle app on my ipod. The books automatically transfer between the two, no need to buy twice. The ipod is useful for emergency reading, but I prefer the actual Kindle for bedtime reading with a low light as it's easier on the eye. I think, but have never tried it, that your bookmarks are remembered so you can read the same book on either and it will know where you are up to.

I am sorely tempted I must admit. I've seen a few videos of it on youtube etc. Might see if it appears for my birthday in a couple of months. We've got a couple of motorbike holidays coming up towards summer so could be a good idea. I used my iphone for holiday reading last year. :D

As I have an iphone with the Kindle app is there any point in me getting a proper Kindle? I've never seen one in real life but assume that they're a bit bigger than the iphone. I do use the app on my phone quite often if I'm hanging around waiting for people. :roll::D

It is nicer to hold than a phone (I have the app on my HTC Desire,& use it in emergencies ,like Doctors waiting rooms :roll: ).

It also has no glare at all,which you do get with a phone or ipad screen.They would be horrible to use in the sunshine,should we get any :lol:

You can also sort your library into sections,which I don't think you can do with the app,although I have not investigated this fully.

The one downside for me is the lack of colour on the Kindle - I miss the pretty book covers.

Good and bad news to report, I love mine but it's broken.

LSH are booklovers and will always enjoy real books.

However, due to this forum :lol: (Cinnamon! :clap: ) I bought a Kindle 3g for his Christmas present, for us both to use.

It's brilliant, we're both impressed, the versatility when travelling or convenience when filling a few spare minutes. We haven't used it much yet, but have high hopes for the great potential this year, the only problem being not having one each!

Last week he said it doesn't hold much charge, and I wasn't really listening.

Last night & this morning it won't turn on at all.

I'll phone Amazon tomorrow. :(

PS. Trying to remember; what sign or light should there be if it's charging? Mine just has the Sleep mode picture showing, nothing else happening.

Thanks Egluntine, of course I thought of the Omlet forum before the Amazon page. :lol: Actually, I had looked briefly and nothing worked, but missed the reference to the indicator light to show it's charging. Mine isn't on, so that's that. :cry:

Today is a very rare oasis day for recharging my own batteries with the house to myself!; decluttering, hens, bath, reading.....I'll have to start another real book now!

Thanks Cinnamon, that's what I'm hoping, I think it's a remarkable object.

:shock: It's alive!

I tried holding the on button for 15 seconds last night, several times, and nothing happened.

Thought I'd better have another go just now, and it's charging! Hope this is useful info. if anyone else doubts theirs.

Hurray, I'm back on track endorsing how useful the Kindle is, and today is working out rather well. :dance:

My poor Kindle has died :shock::shock::shock::?:?:?

They are sending me a new one,BUT I have another bit of Kindle related news for everyone too.

Apparently the issue I had with my machine has been common with people using the Amazon leather cover with no light.

It hasn't been a problem with the lighted covers.

The problem I had was that on 3 occasions in the last 10 days I went to switch it on to find the green light already on.

I then had to fully charge it & reboot it for it to start working. It also lost the page I was on a couple of times too.

So,if you have had this trouble & you have a cover by Amazon without a light,that could be why!

They are sending me a new Kindle & also have refunded me the cost of my cover & credited my account the cost of a lighted one,so I am a fairly happy bunny.

It will take me an AGE to get all my books sorted out again though.................................

I gave one to the OH for Christmas and he loves it. Quite apart from the whole book thing, it has a built-in free 3G connection and a prototype web browser which effectively means free internet (albeit slow and a little awkward to use)

He mostly uses it to show pictures of our baby on Facebook to his work colleagues!

The only annoyances are the cost of ebooks. They should be a tiny fraction of the cost of a printed book, but they're rarely more than 10 % less, although there are quite a few free books out there.

I also bought him a case for it. It seemed a little delicate without it. I bought one of these. I thought it looked very classy and 'bookish.' Hubby agrees.