dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

If the kindle is dispatched my Amazon goods usually arrive the next day!

Definitely need the covers for the kindle as it makes it more like holding a book,but I love it.The only thing is as we have two on the same account every time OH buys a book it ends up on mine too! I may need to sort out and register a seperate account(but perhaps not he can pay for me :twisted: )

Have bought and downloaded free books as well, they are not expensive even OH thinks they are cheaper. I am going to read some Enid Blyton books but the selection isnt that big. I fancied reading some of my childhood favourites.Have been reading Grimm fairy tales.

It is easy to use and I hope they will have internet access etc eventually(or do they and I havent realised it).

Good luck Donald

Tesco put a block on my credit card yesterday because I tried to do more than 10 transactions in a day buying books for the kindle :shock: . Rang up and got it unblocked so I could carry on, but just a warning if you're thinking of stocking up all at once. Since each book registers as an individual transaction, you might want to stagger it over a couple of days.

My kindle was supposedly despatched on Monday so :pray: for today - want it NOW! (and if it doesn't get here today there may be stompy feet :notalk: !)

It's here :D ! No need for stompy feet :lol: .

It's downloaded the books I bought for it (about 10 mins for 12 books) and is charging itself up. I've had a play with the different display settings and a quick flick through the books, but then thought I'd better actually do some of the work I'm being paid to do :( . Liking it in the few minutes I've had it so far!

I've just bought a Kindle wi fi and although it only arrived yesterday already I love it. I love the fact that you can buy books wirelessly and instantaneously instead of having to faff around with downloading on to a PC. This is what I have to do with my Sony.

Only thing is, as already pointed out, you can't transfer the books from the Sony to the Kindle which you can do with the Samsung I believe. But ,and its a big but, the Samsung is about eighty pounds more than the Kindle :(

Mine's here too. :D I'm going to be strong willed and wrap it up and give it to Him Indoors to give to me for Christmas. It will be a lovely surprise. I'm itching to get cracking with it now though.

Well done you, at least you'll get something you want :D

...... Only thing is, as already pointed out, you can't transfer the books from the Sony to the Kindle which you can do with the Samsung I believe. .......

I bet if you searched the t'interweb, you'd find a patch which would convert them to make it possible.

Yes, Calibre is an amazing bit of software and will certainly convert your books from Sony format to Kindle. I have been having fun with Calibre of late, downloading all the front covers for my books and also the blurb you get on the back of a real book (called the Metadata) and can now browse my virtual library by looking at the covers like a real library! I have also joined an e-book exchange forum at the Burgomeister's site and have been exchanging books with people. I can convert the books that they send me to one suitable for my reader no matter what format they send. It's great.

Yes, Calibre is an amazing bit of software and will certainly convert your books from Sony format to Kindle. I have been having fun with Calibre of late, downloading all the front covers for my books and also the blurb you get on the back of a real book (called the Metadata) and can now browse my virtual library by looking at the covers like a real library! I have also joined an e-book exchange forum at the Burgomeister's site and have been exchanging books with people. I can convert the books that they send me to one suitable for my reader no matter what format they send. It's great.

OK, the covers browsing bit sounds FAB - (this may be shallow,but the one thing I am missing is the nice covers)

Obviously you can't get colour on Kindle,but how do you set it up to browse through the covers from the menu?

OK, the covers browsing bit sounds FAB - (this may be shallow,but the one thing I am missing is the nice covers)

Obviously you can't get colour on Kindle,but how do you set it up to browse through the covers from the menu?

Ah, no sorry, it is in the Calibre program that you can browse the covers so that has to be done on the PC. I don't think there is a way to do it on the Sony e-reader, not sure about the Kindle... If not, we should put it forward to Amazon and Sony, respectively, that it is a good idea though!