dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

Can I ask a question to those of you who have kindles already :D

My dad has really bad athritis in his hands and he is struggling to turn pages on real books.

Would (in your opinion :D ) a kindle be suitable for him? Or would a Sony reader be better.

I'm wondering on the size of the buttons and the size of the device.

Thank you :D

Cathy

X

Hi

I've got both a Kindle and a Sony. The keyboard on the Kindle is rather small that even I have trouble with the keys. The Sony ( I've got the PRS 505 ) is much more manageable because the buttons and keys are large. But the Kindle is wireless so does not need a computer so may be more suitable for someone with arthritic hands. PM me if you need more advice :)

Mine's here too. :D I'm going to be strong willed and wrap it up and give it to Him Indoors to give to me for Christmas. It will be a lovely surprise. I'm itching to get cracking with it now though.

Woo hooo. Am so enjoying using my Kindle. I sat up till 3 am, reading Nigel Slater's 'Toast', which is also fab. :D

Mine's here too. :D I'm going to be strong willed and wrap it up and give it to Him Indoors to give to me for Christmas. It will be a lovely surprise. I'm itching to get cracking with it now though.

Woo hooo. Am so enjoying using my Kindle. I sat up till 3 am, reading Nigel Slater's 'Toast', which is also fab. :D

Wow! that is some restraint, I don't think I could have waited that long :lol: glad you are enjoying it :D

Oh my goodness! I have a Kindle! I didn't ask for one and I didn't realise I wanted one, so it was a genuine, wonderful surprise to get one from OH today. It's fab! Need to take the dogs out now but can't wait to get back and start playing. Whoop! 8) He has excelled himself this year :dance:

Does anybody know if other ibooks can be downloaded to the kindle, or is it just the Amazon ones? It's just that there seems to be a bigger selection of books from ibooks (I've got kindle and ibooks on my ipod) but not so many on kindle. Or am I looking in the wrong places?

You need to look in the Amazon Kindle store,on the Uk site.

There are a lot,& more are being added all the time.

If you search for a favourite book & it comes up as not being available on Kindle,you can click a button to request it. Sadly,they don't inform you when it does become available..................................I had been after 'Toast' for ages,then all of a sudden it popped up!

What I do with any that I want but are not available,or any newer releases which are still expensive,is I put them into my wishlist,then check back periodically to see if they have become available or dropped in price.

The new Shardlake mystery dropped from £8 to £5 this week 8)

You ca also try The Stacks for books, which are free,but you need to convert them with Calibre.

I got all the True Blood books, the No 1 Ladies detective agency ones & heaps more via The Stacks,but I think they have now made it a paid membership type thing,which is a shame.

I spent ages (& a fair bit of money) replacing all my favourite books on Kindle. Just added them to my wishlist,then bought them as & when I could. I sold the paperbacks on by Green Metropolis,or gave them to Oxfam bookstores.

I was a bit precious about hanging on to some of the paperbacks to start with,but now am so enamoured with my Kindle that I am happy to pass them on. I like books to be passed on to someone else to enjoy :D

You ca also try The Stacks for books, which are free,but you need to convert them with Calibre.

I got all the True Blood books, the No 1 Ladies detective agency ones & heaps more via The Stacks,but I think they have now made it a paid membership type thing,which is a shame.

It is not a paid membership as such, at the moment a single donation of 10 euros/dollars will gain you access to the Stacks and the main Library...they were running out of money to pay for the website :( . A single donation gives you unlimited access so you could get 100s of books for your $10! The book exchange section of the forum is still free.

I spent ages (& a fair bit of money) replacing all my favourite books on Kindle. Just added them to my wishlist,then bought them as & when I could. I sold the paperbacks on by Green Metropolis,or gave them to Oxfam bookstores.

I was a bit precious about hanging on to some of the paperbacks to start with,but now am so enamoured with my Kindle that I am happy to pass them on. I like books to be passed on to someone else to enjoy :D

Thats a really good idea - I have so many and I don't want to part with them, but it does make sense. It's unlikely I will ever read some of them again, but nice to know there is a list of them, if I ever do want them. :D

It is not a paid membership as such, at the moment a single donation of 10 euros/dollars will gain you access to the Stacks and the main Library...they were running out of money to pay for the website :( . A single donation gives you unlimited access so you could get 100s of books for your $10! The book exchange section of the forum is still free.

Ah,I see.

Happily I managed to get all the ones I wanted a week or so before they brought this in,so I am all set,but for a new Kindle owner its a very good deal 8)

My Mom, Sister and Niece all got one as well 8)

I was reading somewhere that they are going to start to let you share books, one book to one person at a time for 2 weeks and you can't access the book yourself during that period, I think they are already doing it in America.

Mom fell asleep reading hers :roll: the other night and dropped it and broke it :shock: so Dad sent Amazon an email enquiring about getting it repaired, they have replaced it with a new one free of charge even though Mom admitted it was her fault 8)

Just a quick Kindle update.

One thing I have found difficult is not having a pile of books to read on my bedside table. They kind of get lost on Hector (my Kindle).

So I decided to make a 'To Read' collection, where I could double-up all the books I have already added to collections,that I still have to read.

I have 37 :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Other collections I have are are fiction,travel,chick lit,vampire lit,biographical,historical,fantasy & info :D

Oh wow a kindle thread, how did i miss this. I got my kindle for christmas and i absolutely love it. Going to read this thread from the beginning but i have got to admit to spending ages on the amazon site checking out all the free books, kindle cases, lights and dare i say the decal skins, searching for any chicken themed ones of course :D