dancing cloud

Kindle - yes or no and which?

I gave one to the OH for Christmas and he loves it. Quite apart from the whole book thing, it has a built-in free 3G connection and a prototype web browser which effectively means free internet (albeit slow and a little awkward to use)

He mostly uses it to show pictures of our baby on Facebook to his work colleagues!

The only annoyances are the cost of ebooks. They should be a tiny fraction of the cost of a printed book, but they're rarely more than 10 % less, although there are quite a few free books out there.

I also bought him a case for it. It seemed a little delicate without it. I bought one of these. I thought it looked very classy and 'bookish.' Hubby agrees.

I really like the look of this cover. Is it scratchy though? :roll:

A box from a certain company arrived this morning with a Kindle inside for me courtesy of my OH. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to have it for a couple of weeks. :( Gives me time to look at covers. :wink::D

He only showed the box to me as I'd been having a sneaky look to see what hubby was getting me :roll:

Thats right.

I got on perfectly well with mu unlit cover,but if I do pull a 3am'er my husband sleeps like a log & my bedside light doesn't disturb him at all.

I am not sure how much I will use my light.

It looks to me as if the unlit Amazon covers are no longer on the Amazon site anyhow.......although others are.

I bought a cheap £13 cover off ebay. It came with a little clip on light which is perfect, I can easily read now without the bedside light on and it doesn't disturb OH. It looks similar to the official amazon ones - purple leatherette! I couldn't justify the £50 for one of those! :lol:

I agree, I don't know that I would risk it with the Kindle although it does say that they are new and would presumably come with a warranty (wouldn't buy without checking). The Sony touch reader is also new and at £50 is more tempting. Haven't yet followed one through auction though so don't know how much they fetch.

Apparently the issue I had with my machine has been common with people using the Amazon leather cover with no light.

It hasn't been a problem with the lighted covers.

The problem I had was that on 3 occasions in the last 10 days I went to switch it on to find the green light already on.

I then had to fully charge it & reboot it for it to start working.......

Well, I'm glad yours was replaced efficiently, that's great. I'm still wondering about mine, since I posted about it being unexplicably "off" and needing recharging.

Since then I have been reading a weighty tome (that sadly wasn't avaiable as an ebook), so I hadn't picked up the Kindle.

Now LSH is away & putting it to the test, and seeing if it stays charged. When I gave it to him to pack, it needed charging first, although we hadn't used it, not sounding good is it?

Mine is with an unlit Amazon holder, but I can't understand why that would make it faulty, do you know what it does to it?

I'll find out in a fortnight whether LSH is :D or :evil: with it.

For anyone still deciding, I immediately wished I'd bought the backlit cover, it depends where you read it, but it would have been best for me. :doh:

it needed charging ... although we hadn't used it
Are you remembering to switch wireless off? Even if you're not using it, the wireless eats power and you only need it on when you're looking for and downloading books or using the web browser (on Whispernet-enabled versions).

With wireless off, an unused Kindle will last literally months without going flat.