quickcluck Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Just being nosey Shopping is not my favorite pass time, it's made better as my DH coming with me and we shop in the evening, but even at this time of day it can be heaving still I abandoned my full trolley the other day as the queues were so long and this was after xmas So have been thinking about delivery, and wondered what peoples experiences are are whether the cost is recouped by not being temped to put extras in your trolley on impulse.... Thanks K Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I do sometimes,but mostly if I am very busy,the car has broken or I am sick. Ocado are the best - I have never had a wrong move from them. That said,I couldn't get a Christmas slot from them so I used Waitrose,who were also excellent,but as it is branch based I guess it would depend on how good your local branch are (if you have one!) I knew ours had a good delivery service,& the chaps in the dot com team knew it was for me & put by one of the last pack of Sprouts for me,bless Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackie45 Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Before I retired we used to have a Tesco delivery, ordering on the net. It was convenient and saved us time actually shopping in the shop. However I found it took a fair time to get the order together and I bought more than I really needed (special offers etc). The delivery was usually on time -then £5 a slot but times the order was wrong. Once had baby milk!!. You really have to weigh up the time spent getting the order together or standing in the shop.My DIL uses Ocardo when she forgets things, but then she's a career women and travels a lot. Jackie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I loathe supermarket shopping so use Ocado and can't fault them at all. Well, except for the recent change to their website I use their delivery pass scheme. I've yet to be unable to book a delivery slot I want plus I've been able to book my Christmas shopping slot in October. It's definately saved me money but more importantly my sanity as I don't have to waste hours doing a supermarket shop. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SJChick Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 We use Tesco direct to get our shopping and I have to say their service here has been excellent. We rarely have the wrong items but it probably depends from shop to shop. Sometimes i think they substitute items and I think that it is a bit of a marketing ploy because they price match the item you wanted with the one they've given you. I think they hope that next time you buy the more expensive one. That's happened a few times on basic stuff like orange juice and i've thought to myself that they can't possibly be out of the juice! However, I have just made sure that the "No substitutes" option is checked so it doesn't happen now. Our delivery charges start at £3.50 for certain days and times. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I used to use Tesco, but really don't like them. Now use Ocado - I have the app on my ipod, so add things to it as I use them. When I have enough I just choose the cheapest delivery option going and it's one click to confirm and pay - very very quick and easy! OH is happy to shop on his days off, so he goes to Aldi to stock up on cheaper cereals and cooked meats. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted January 9, 2011 Author Share Posted January 9, 2011 I thought ocardo was just waitrose. Do they do all of them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellekatz Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Ocado have license to sell waitrose stuff but are independent of waitrose. I use them all the time, have a delivery pass and have had very few problems in 3 years. They even managed to get out to me in the snow and ice we had, with hardly any substititions. Not the cheapest but very reliable and good quality. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I thought ocardo was just waitrose. Do they do all of them? Ocado is linked with Waitrose although they now do their own range of things as well - although I confess I haven't used much of that. Generally I find it slightly more expensive than other supermarkets (apart from Waitrose!) I pay for an annual delivery and that encourages me to use it. Their slots are just one hour and they rarely have problems. Once you are used to ordering, it takes minutes to get an order done. I rarely have substituted items and, if ever they do substitute an offer item, they will honour the offer price - at least they have done so far! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
helenp Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Ocado have a 10 year deal to sell Waitrose products (Hubby works at HO). Use them all the time, great service even in the snow, got our Christmas delivery no problem. The Ocado own range is brilliant and in some cases better than the essential Waitrose range. They may be a little more expensive than the other supermarkets, but the quality of the products makes that in my view worth the extra. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I hate any form of shopping in actual shops, so do everything online. I had Tescos for a while, then switched over to Sainsburys about 3/4 years ago and have had them ever since. Can't fault their customer service...don't get many substitutes and if there's any problem I've rung them up and been given money off or free delivery - no quibbles. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey Lucy Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Only Tesco deliver here, tried it, almost complete disaster-late, missing items. Used to use Ocado when I lived in England, if I'm honest it's probably the only thing I miss Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Used to use Tesco when my girls were at home but I got fed up with wrong items and bruised fruit and vegetables, now I tend to visit local supermarkets in rotation, going shopping every 10 days or so. But I would love to give Ocado or Waitrose a go but they don't deliver to here . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I tend to use Tesco mainly and find it very convenient. If they can't deliver then I use Sainsburys. I used Ocado years ago and found them very expensive but things may have changed since then. I much prefer on line to actual in store shopping. I tend to spend more in store as I can see interesting alternatives. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie&Moose Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I work full-time and HATE shopping, so use Sainsburys or Ocado for supermarket stuff, Riverford for fruit, veg, meat, dairy, etc, and a local cooperative for dried goods. Takes me about 30 mins/week to do the orders and I try and make sure the delivery happens on an evening when I'm working late and my partner's at home so he gets the lovely job of putting it all away I love it because I'm not tempted to browse, I use the same basic list each time, and it's very convenient - and anything that doesn't turn up, well, we survive without it - makes my life so much easier Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Yes I do - Ocado or Tesco and as I won't have a car after March will have no choice for big shops However I have bought a bike with a basket on the front for local shopping Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Scarlet I do the same - a bike with basket on the front for little, local top ups! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I'm another supermarket hater - so I use Ocado for meat and our branded must haves , ALDI for basics and Farm Shop for fruit and veg. I dont find that I spend more - just the opposite, going into a store would make me spend more! Can't fault Ocado ( I have previously used Tesco & Sainburys), they run a courteous and efficient service and as it is the aniversary of when we started shopping with them we are getting a free bottle of wine from them! (When I first joined you also got a free copy of The Times with each order, however unfortunately this has now stopped ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Marple Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 I agree with all the positives about Ocado. We have been with them for nearly three years. Rarely ever a substitution, willingly refunders also, Arrive no matter what the weather it would seem. Very courteous drivers. I also pay for the delivery pass which seems well worth it. Have always got my Christmas slot really early. One small complaint- I was booked for 10-11am on Christmas eve expecting bread. None. Luckily the text came whilst I had nipped out to our local towncentre so I was able to get some. I think this was due to the chaos with the weather rather than my slot though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sageandonion Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Another thumbs up for Ocado from us - we like Waitrose quality at Ocado prices - we always go for lots of "deals", the drivers are very polite and helpful and we're rarely have missing items. From time to time we shop locally rather than online and then get an Ocado offer - so it pays to ignore them once in a while ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CatieB Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 We live in the middle of nowhere so when we first moved I went to online ordering as it was cheaper than the cost to drive 14 miles to the nearest supermarket (tesco) However I think the quality of the items is dependant on the numpty picking it I often got items that I wouldn't pick, eg horrid looking fruit and even corn on the cob that were clearly mouldy. Quite often the items would only have a day or so left on the sell by date. The final straw came when I got no milk!!! Yes no milk at all, no substitute, they said it was out of stock what the whole shop???. So i then had to drive the 14 miles anyway and decided to give up on delivery. I think the problem is that our tesco has no local competition so no basic customer service and don't care. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted January 9, 2011 Share Posted January 9, 2011 Not sure why i never seem to get the Ocado shopping offers lol no wine or offers when i've stopped using them for a bit BUT have used them for nearly 2 years and can't fault them, hour slots, long life on perishables, courteous delivery men, monthly delivery pass (3.99 this time ) Sainsburys were good too but there slots weren't so good, have to have an hour slot as i childmind so have it come while kids asleep or early morning. Tesco i hated, nearly out of date food, late deliveries, wrong items and ridiculous substitutions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted January 10, 2011 Share Posted January 10, 2011 I am very impressed by Ocado, good long dates on products, always on time (once in a year they were delayed but they rang and explained) often early but always check if it is convenient. I have used Tesco but poor quality fresh food and short dates puts me off and I don't like the two hour delivery slots. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted January 10, 2011 Share Posted January 10, 2011 I use Able & Cole for meat, Tesco for cases of wine and Ocado for groceries. I normally go for the late evening delivery option with Ocado so it only costs £1.99. I also like the way they list on the receipt the things in order of use by date. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted January 10, 2011 Share Posted January 10, 2011 I've been using Tesco ever since they started doing home delivery, so has been for years and years. Occasionally I have used Sainsbury's but had a lot of substitutions with them For the most part Tesco are very good, I think a lot depends how large the store is where they are picking from and how good the pickers are. Ours is a Tesco Extra so has a huge variety of products and it's not very often that I have reason to complain. I did have a couple of orders recently with yoghurts that had to be eaten on the day they were delivered, so I complained and they refunded the money Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...