Yorkshire Pudding

An embarrassing subject....

... considering my forum name.

Yorkshire pudding is the one thing that neither I nor OH can get right. We can mix a batter and heat fat till 'shimmering hot' (thank you Delia). Pour in and it sizzles.

Then it all goes horribly wrong :?

Either they're flat like roasted pancakes, or if they do rise, they are puffed up in the centre rather than cup shaped so I can fill them up with gravy.

Oh wise Omleteers, where are we going wrong?

My way of doing it which has never failed me is to crack say three eggs into a measuring jug, see where the level comes up to and tip the eggs into a mixing bowl. Wipe the jug out and fill to the same level with flour, tip in with the eggs, fill to the same level with milk and mix into the eggs and flour.

Some say let it stand some say it doesn't make a difference.

I usually use a tray with four holes (well not hole holes!) about 3 inches each in diameter. Put some fat in, groundnut oil usually but if you have lard, dripping etc. all the better. Leave in the oven till it gets smoking hot, pull the shelf out a bit and pour in the batter. Cook for about 15 mins ish.

My way of doing it which has never failed me is to crack say three eggs into a measuring jug, see where the level comes up to and tip the eggs into a mixing bowl. Wipe the jug out and fill to the same level with flour, tip in with the eggs, fill to the same level with milk and mix into the eggs and flour.

Me too :) I also heat oil until virtually smoking. I cook yorkies in muffin tins :wink:

Check your oven temperature. I changed ovens and could not make Yorkshire Puddings in the new one at all. Then I bought an oven thermometer and discovered that the new oven was 20 degrees hotter than the dial said it was! So I cooked by the oven thermometer and voila! Yorkshire Pudding success again!

Sorry to buck the trend here but i only use 1 egg. I have one of those tupperware shaker mixer things. which i would guess is the same size as a pint milk bottle, I crack 1 egg in then add half milk and half water to half way up, then top up with plain flour then a pinch of salt, in that order so the dry stuff doesnt get stuck at the bottom. Give it a really good shake and pour into my 12 hole tray with smoking oil in. They rise everytime and my kids say they are the best. :lol:

Let us know which works best for you.

Oooo War of the Puds! :lol::lol::lol:

Can I sit on the fence and say that I like all of the Yorkie Puds you have described...flat, pooffy and cup shaped!!

Please do, Sari - they taste lovely, just they don't rise!

I hadn't thought of the oven being at the wrong temperature so will chech that, & try the tried and tested methods above.... No shortage of !eggcream!!eggbrown! at the moment!

My Mum makes them ( and therfore me too) by beating 3 eggs into "some" milk....and adding salt and plain four, until its a bit thicker than single cream, and feels right,.....I heat the oil on the stove, in the tin...put the batter in....and sizzle it a bit longer, then whack it in a hot over,,,,

My recipe is 2 beaten eggs, 6 fl oz milk, 4 fl oz water, 6 oz plain flour and a good pinch of salt. I do leave it to stand for an hour or so. I use a muffin tin too with really hot fat at 200 degrees in a fan oven. My Yorkshires are fantabulous and the envy of Mr Griffin who for some reason can only make them resembling sponge cakes :lol: Now that I've stopped working weekends the kids are very much enjoying my Yorkshires with their roast every Sunday :lol:

if they do rise, they are puffed up in the centre rather than cup shaped so I can fill them up with gravy.

When I started trying to make yorkshire puddings I was also disappointed they did not come out cup shaped. I was using a muffin tin and was used to shop bought ones you cook from frozen'. I came to the conclusion the home made ones did not come out cup shaped because they were not frozen! i.e. on shop bought the edges defrosted and cooked first so rose the most but the home made ones cooked more evenly so puffed up throughout. I also found they were reluctant to let go of the tin.

Then last year I tried making toad-in-the hole in a pyrex dish and it worked really well. I think because the pudding is larger the edges cook faster than the middle so you get more of the cup shape. We now tend to have one large yorkshire cooked in a big square pyrex dish. Even without the suasages weighing down the middle they tend to be more cup shape. Also they tend to stick less although that maybe a combination of wishfull thinking and me being less concerned about scratching the pyrex when trying to remove them.

Good luck and keep trying; they're worth the effort :D

N

My Mum makes them ( and therfore me too) by beating 3 eggs into "some" milk....and adding salt and plain four, until its a bit thicker than single cream, and feels right,.....I heat the oil on the stove, in the tin...put the batter in....and sizzle it a bit longer, then whack it in a hot over,,,,

My OH makes wicked Yorkshire puds the same way, he is born and breed in yorkshire, my mother in law also from yorkshire makes awful ones (shh don't tell her I said that, but they are like hockey pucks!) :vom: Mine are pretty good but his are better!

I make yuk Yorkshires, such a good excuse for good old Aunt Bessies.

I blame my Mother as she cannot make them either, we always tease her that she once threw Yorkshire puds that look like cow pats out for the birds and they threw them back and broke a window.

Sage