ubereglu

Sign this...Battery hen farming petition

I have signed it but a part of me worries about this kind of ban. We banned veal crates in this country but did not ban the import of crated veal, so a fairly hollow victory was won at the expense of the farmers.We did the same with farrowing crates for pigs, and again our market is flooded with cheaper less sympathetically reared meat.

Isn't this what will happen if we ban battery eggs? They will j7ust be imported instead?

I agree Rhapsody-unfortunately humans are such hypocrites, and food has been taken so far away from it's natural state we've lost our touch.

It's always worth a try though-it will at least hopefully stop some hens becoming battery-fied and hopefully change attitudes too.

Signed

I blame the meglamaniac supermarkets. If they didn't drive farmers so hard for low prices. This practice maybe wouldn't be so common.

The supermarkets are driven by those of us who want things cheap so...... it's our fault....."Ooops, word censored!"!

I think what I am trying to say is support local shops whilst they still exist, rather than the mega big supermarkets.

Omlet have changed my outlook on things such as this. I look forward to having happy chickens!

:D

Kev.

I think the tables are turning now aren't they Kev, and there's a definate shift towards people wanting to use local shops for fruit and veg again.

Trouble is, the supermarkets have forced the small shops out and they are few and far between. Our local butcher has had to close, despite non of the locals wanting it to. So much for choice. With the big three, there is no choice.

I'm not sure that everybody wants 'cheap as chips' produce anymore, but rather 'fairer' produce. There's always the exception of course.

:evil:

It's understandable that a small swear word might slip out!

Folk like us who produce our own eggs, grow our own veg etc undoubtedly care and make a difference in the demand and supply chain but most people either dont stop to consider it or just dont care. I'm not saying the petition is a bad thing just that similar bans have backfired somwhat. If we ban battery eggs without tackling the demand for them what then?

I remember after the bird flu outbreak in Norfolk my mother-in-law saying "ah well we'll all have to stop buying their stuff for a while eh?" when I pointed out I would rather eat my own shoes than a slice of Mr Matthews' intensively-reared product she looked aghast and baffled. Not eating a food because you dont agree with the way it is produced is not something that she has ever considered, and she is not by any means alone!

But we can lead by example. :D We don't need to preach and alienate people, but by stating why we choose certain things - or not - people's awareness is raised and they just might think further about their own attitudes.

But we can lead by example. :D We don't need to preach and alienate people, but by stating why we choose certain things - or not - people's awareness is raised and they just might think further about their own attitudes.

I agree Ginette. What's that saying about small acorns?

With all the new programs on TV such as Jimmy's and It's not Easy..etc, .food awareness has definalty been highlighted a little and is reaching more people, and of course the forum is growing hugely and we're all making a difference here, however small. There are lots of similar forums growing too.

I've tried that too. When she was appalled at the conditions in pork battery farms, as shown on Jimmy's programme, I pointed out that people (like her) buying cheap pork imports perpetuate this type of farming, but she didn't, or wouldn't make the connection - she's always bought the cheapest and always will. Strange, because both my grandparents on that side were Italian, they reared some of their own meat - rabbits and chickens and ate 'proper food'. I wonder if it's just laziness.

Sooooo, lets say the ban goes through, hurrah, then in the supermarket the dont-cares have the choice of British free-range at a premium price or a cheap battery egg from the EU- what will they pick? All that will happen is that they will take their custom away from the British farmer and add considerably to the food miles burden.

The sentiment is admirable but in a free trade environment it just penalises our own farmers. Wouldnt it be better to put a levy on battery eggs so that the price difference is smaller?