chrisnrob

Audrey and Greta have arrived!

Well Audrey and Greta arrived at about 4.30pm this afternoon and were soon installed and exploring their new home - thanks to the really helpful chap from Omlet.

We've spent most of the evening watching them (together with the neighbours) and have been popping in and out for the last hour or so to see if they'd put themselves to bed.

Greta kept popping in and out of the Eglu but Audrey wasn't interested. Last time we went down Greta was ensconced in the Eglu and Audrey was hovering on the threshold. A small amount of judicious coaxing with the door and she was inside. We peered through the eggport a few minutes later and they were both happily roosting next to each other. Time into Eglu was 21:50 :)

As promised, photos can be found [here]

Hi Chris and Rob

Congratulations on your chucks, what lovely names. Just been looking at your photos they are lovely, your Miss Pepperpot is gorgeous she is much darker than ours. You will love having chickens they make your garden more interesting and when you get your first egg ..... well its like christmas every day, ours have been laying for about 4 weeks now and we are still excited about looking for eggs.

Once again congratulations

Claire

Hi Chris and Rob

Love the photos - my 'ladies' arrived four weeks ago and after a bit of a bumpy start with Ruby all is going well. Hope to post my photos soon, once I take the time to work out how!! Hope thieir firt night went well - were you up very early this morning to check them? Enjoy, they are great fun!

Hi Chris and Rob

how exciting!!! :D such gorgeous girls!! :D and Im so jealous that you got an Omlet van delivering your eglu :mrgreen: . we live outside the chicken zone, so ours was by currier!!!

hopefully ours will be sorted by end of today so I can go on a chook hunt!! :lol:

enjoy :D

Thanks for all the comments/encouragement guys.

We pondered about keeping the Eglu on grass and moving it about as we have the space but in the end decided to go for a defined Eglu area. The edging was from Argos (3 for 2) and the bark was on offer at Wickes. I think it cost us approx £30 in all (not including labour!) We've ordered some Omlet netting and once that arrives we'll be letting the girls free range when we're at home. I'm sure the roosting bars will soon look like everyone elses in no time at all.

Greta (PP) really is a lovely colour - the blue in her feathers shows up really well in the sunlight. She's a bit older than Audrey (they Omlet chap reckoned about 10 days) and is definitely more outgoing.

Trumpet is still fascinated though Tigger, our more outgoing cat, is much more wary - we expected it to be the other way round.

One of Chris' work colleagues decided that they girls should have full names so they have become Audrey Henburn and Greta Garboiled!! :D

Chris was first up this morning to check and could hear them clucking in the Eglu has he went down the garden. He opened the door and...they stayed where they were! After a few minutes they ventured out though and made straight for the Grub and Glug.

Did your missing bits arrive Couperwife? Have new chooks been installed?

Just waiting for the first egg now... :D

9:05 tonight and they'd both put themselves to bed no worries at all :D

We tried offering them some sweetcorn yesterday from our hands and Greta took some tentative pecks but Audrey kept away. Tonight however was a different story!

As I approached the Eglu they started furiously clucking and pacing up and down. As I undid the run door I was pecked through the wire. I then offered them a handful of corn and there was a flurry of beaks and the lot was gone - my poor hand!! :D Chris has read somewhere that it's best to keep your hand completely flat when you offer them food - any truth in this?

Apparently our neighbour went down her garden today and didn't hear the chickens so she shouted "Cluck, cluck" over the hedge and was greeted with a flurry of clucking in reply! I think our neighbour's as mad as we are...

Rob

Thanks for all the comments/encouragement guys.

One of Chris' work colleagues decided that they girls should have full names so they have become Audrey Henburn and Greta Garboiled!! :D

Just waiting for the first egg now... :D

:lol: love the girls names. :lol:

We had our girls arrive on the same afternoon as chrisnrob, our came at 1pm.

The Guy from Omlet, who I cant remember his name ???, was brilliant. Can anyone give me his name ?

Anyway, the first night the girls were a bit unsure about what to do at dusk but they did go in the eggloo at just after 10pm. Last night they went in at 10 too. They do seem to like a lie in, because I open the doors at 6.45 this morning and they all came out and then Flo and Valerie went back in ! only Pheobe Cluck Cluck seemed to stay out.

Pheobe is the top girl and I can see her combe and lobes getting redder already...

I cant wait to get home and start the sweetcorn treating !