Seagazer

Positive thoughts please - missing cat

Lost 2 different cats at various times. One had been shut in a shed for a week as he had gone exploring and had been shut in when the owners went on holiday.

The other one was quite strange. She had gone missing and after a couple of days we put posters up around the local streets. A few days later there was a knock at our door quite late at night and it was a neighbour from a few doors down from us with Sophie in her arms. She had seen the posters and quite by chance had looked up and saw her in an upstairs room of one of our other neighbours. There were foreign students staying in the house and apparently they thought she was pretty and were keeping her in their bedroom. The owner of the house knew nothing about it (she was quite elderly and presumably had no sense of smell!)

Fingers crossed for you.

Well, I put some more posters up today in a road near to mine and whilst I was still out sticking up the posters a lady rang the house and told YS that a cat looking like Dave was hit by a car on Sunday night. The car following stopped and put him onto the verge (really hope he died instantly) and that the council picked him up the next morning. I am beside myself with grief and misery. My poor little gorgeous Dave. :(

I can't ring the council, I'm too teary. Hubby is going to have a go as I have a horrible feeling that the bin men (our collection is Monday) have just put him into the back of the lorry. I can't get it out of my head that they've just chucked him in with the rubbish. They told me this morning that they scan any dead cat/dog. Why put him in there and not get the other guys to come and collect him.

I am devastated.

Edited to add my favourite photo of him.

03082007035.jpg

I really really hope it wasn't Dave :(

Years ago, after much detective work on my part, I found out that my beautiful tortie & white girl Melikah had been hit by a car, picked up by somebody else & put in a cardboard box which was then collected by the council. They incinerated her. Not one person thought to check her for ID. Even the council admitted to me they wouldn't have even opened the box to check. It broke my heart because I have all of my cats individually cremated so that I can keep their ashes :cry:

I do hope it wasn't him. Fingers crossed for you

But if it was, make sure the council know that the advice they issue about scanning all dead cats is just plain pie in the sky. Maybe they'll retrain the refuse workers. Mind you, if it's contracted out, then the contractor may have broken his contract with the council if they require all dead cats to be scanned and they don't do it.

I was in a similar situation to you at this time of year a few years ago. My cat looked just like Dave too. I came back from holiday and the cat sitter said she had fed him that morning. I did posters, leaflets, knocking on doors etc. After 5 days I found out from my next door neighbour that they had seen a dead cat on the road. By chance I asked a gardener in a nearby house to where he had been spotted about seeing my cat and he said he had found him and 'disposed' of him. The next day had been bin day. :cry::cry::cry:

Without having seen my boy in person I still wonder if he is alive somewhere but really I know it was him. Better knowing than not.

I really hope that it wasn't Dave by the road and that he turns up, if it was him remember he knew how much you loved him. I am so sorry you may never know for certain.

Thanks for all the kind words and wishes. I think in my heart I know it was him. :( We had a very emotional night last night as my two older children came in from work and had to be told. He was probably the best cat we've ever had. Such a character, would be up for lots of cuddles but didn't need to be permanently attached to my legs (unlike Sophie), hilarious and we all used to love a Dave kiss when he would virtually head butt you and s"Ooops, word censored!"e his teeth on your nose. He would also lie in wait for Cookie, whom he had grown up with, and pounce on her, hanging on either side of her face. They even shared the same cat bed when Cookie was smaller and looked like the 'ying yang' symbol. She's looking a bit down today but has obviously picked up on our sorrow.

Hubby will ring the council today. I would rant and rave at them but he will be calmer. I hope that the Council send out a warning to everyone that these are family pets and they should be treated with dignity and not just cast aside with the rubbish.

Very very sorry, try and think about the life he had with you rather than the ending, easier said than done, but in time it will be possible. I know bit of how you feel, I too had a beautiful black cat who was run over just before she had her kittens, we did get her body back, that was something that haunted me for a very long time, I could just see her crushed body for ages. Very sorry to hear about Dave.

I'm very sorry to hear your news and I can understand your distress. Even though the body isn't all of the cat, I know having it, and being able to say goodbye in the way of your choosing, can really help with the mourning and grieving process. Hugs to you and your family. Its a rotten thing to happen. :(

:(

I know how you are feeling, we lost our lovely dim long haired black and white cat Felix 20 years ago and I still wonder what happened to him, he was the only really cuddly cat that I have ever had, he was several sandwiches short of a picnic but we loved him to bits :(

My thoughts are with you.