Sheilaz

Golden gleams the western sky....?

..anyone remember this end of day/end of term hymn? I can't trace it at all, pretty sure I haven't imagined it!

Luckily I have a couple of reserve choices, but this one is puzzling me, I thought it was popular in the 60/70's, yet it's not showing up in searches, apart from someone else asking!

So, Omleteers.....? :D

I bet Ginette would know it Sheila!

:lol: My first thought, thanks Snowy, I just couldn't find her email or mobile details, and didn't want to ask on Facebook, so threw it open here.

Ginette was a star when we needed words and music for Charlot to sing at my Father's graveside. Our family all knew his favourite hymn, but couldn't find it for her to learn, a simple (panic) text to Ginette and 10 mins later, problem solved!

Thank you Plum, but not that one either. Yes Ginette, the question in the link is the correct hymn, but no one has answered it! I remember a similar amount, and can hum the tune.

I know I sang it throughout school, but then it was a very long time ago. :lol: The vicar didn't know it either, but said she'd ask the organist. For peace of mind, I will ask my schoolfriends, but I think I'll stick with a safer choice that the congregation will be able to sing. We definitely don't want me to be the only one singing! :angel:

If the tune is a familiar one, you can sing unfamiliar words and it will work. The meter looks fairly standard for a hymn, just got to find those words first! I'm frustrated that I can't find them.

I'll send my contact details again and would be pleased to help with anything else you need. Good luck with the rest of the planning xx

Good point Egluntyne, that's a possibility. But I'll try my friends first.

The tune is a bit unusual Ginette, or maybe it's my interpretation, I shall hum it to you one day! I keep thinking that I have all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order! (Eric Morcambe) A lot of words would fit, it could go badly wrong.

Thanks for your details again and for your offers of help. I've definitely decided on a well known hymn instead now.

We'll have two, both of which we chose together for our marriage; Psalm 23 & Lead Us, Heavenly Father Lead Us. :D

The words are familiar to me, but I can't put a tune to them. An Eric Morecambe type song probably isn't what you want, although no doubt it would make people smile!

Those are two lovely hymns though - and very appropriate as they were sung at your wedding. I hope it will be a real celebration of a life lived to the full.

....When is the service? I want to be thinking of you all at that time in particular.xx

Thank you, that's a kind thought, for internet safety, I'll pm the date and time, to you and anyone else interested.

Thank you, Olly. :D

The service (and a cuppa!) is open to any of my good Omleteer friends I've met, so do pm me if you'd like to attend, although I realise it's not feasible for most.

As you know , we're not able to be there but OH has bought his Old Hooky from the brewery and we will be taking it with us to raise a glass (or two :wink: ) on the day - mine will be fizzy water :D We'll be thinking of you all and hope it is a wonderful celebration. I'm sure there will be many of us Omleteers raising a glass.

Sheila, you are in my thoughts. I'm not sure if I'll be around with a glass or cuppa at the appropriate time, what with time zones and all, but if I have been thinking so much of you over recent days. I hope the day goes smoothly for you & that Shep is remembered in the way that he, and you, and the family, all deserve. With much love. x

Dear All,

I've been trying to track down this one too. I can remember that it wasn't a hymn, and that the melody was one of Schubert's 'An den Mond' settings (no.2?). The arrangement for choir and lyrics were probably 20th century.

It had the title 'Silver and Gold', I think.

I remember the lyrics as being approximately this:

Golden gleams the western sky where the sun sinks slowly

gilds the mountain peaks on high, gilds the valleys lowly.

Every tree with gold is tinged, in the glow enfolden

Every cloud is golden fringed, all the sea gleams golden.

Silver streaks the eastern blue where the moon is peeping.

Shot with silver through and through all the sea lies sleeping.

In the clouds are silver caves. Silver boats are sailing

O'er the glittering silver waves, silver furrows trailing.

To this radiant mystery we our souls surrender;

In our bark 'twixt sky and sea float amid the splendour,

Float as in a tranced dream, or a fairy story.

Half our world a silver gleam, half a golden glory.

Gillian

Thank you so much for having posted! You were indeed successful in tracking it down, this clip is a good example of the melody that goes with those words.

Schubert

Thank you you so much for sharing. Ironically, although we didn't find this in time, we did play some Schubert, The Trout, I obviously have a love of his music.

After a rubbish day, that's been a perfect note to end on, thank you for taking the trouble.