jjmack

cat flaps

Its coming up to freedom time with the kittens and Ithink a cat flap is the easiest option. What type to get though? There are standard ones, magnet ones and now ones that link with microchip. Also are they easy to fit in a UPVC door? Not the best at DIY but happy to give it a go.

Once the cat flap is there will I still need to leave them a litter tray for night as I will lock the flap at night.

Thanks

J

Can't answer on the UPVC door - do check however that fitting it won't invalidate any guarantees with the door. Could you fit it through a wall, I had one in an old air-brick once, or in a ground-floor window if that would be easier?

Magnetic ones are good but the cat has to wear a collar with the magnet in, and of course if your neighbours also have a magnetic cat-flap, their cat will have no problem getting in! I'd consider a microchip one next time I fit one.

I have a Petporte Smartflap microchip cat flap and am thrilled with it. It only let's your cats in and out if they've been scanned using their microchips so when I got the kittens, they couldn't come and go but the boys could. It's the only cat flap I've had which Ludwig hasn't managed to jailbreak too!

The initial cost is higher but you don't have the additional cost if they lose the collar for a magnetic one.

We have the Sureflap - it's been brilliant. We originally had it fitted in the wall, when we moved we took it with us, bought the glass adaptor and a double glazing firm manufactured a new double glazing unit with the hole in it for us in a few days and fitted it. Since then, I've bought the new front panel as they've upgraded the flap, but sell an upgrade pack so you don't have to buy an entire new catflap. Their customer service is brilliant too. We've never had a problem with it, the batteries last quite a long time and are very clear when they need replacing, and even Arthur, who was the size of a small car, could operate it with the chip on his neck (unlike the poxy magnetic one, where he had to wear the dog collar bob too get it to open). The wonderful thing is that you don't end up with any extra costs. My sister and her two cats are staying with us for a couple of months, and once they're settled in, we can just scan them through and then they are free to come and go as they please. Only thing I wish it did was to allow you to selectively keep cats in (like Nero :wall: ). But I haven't yet found one that does so :roll:

I've just ordered a £40 Petporte on Amazon :D (click for brown and white). Couldn't decide between it and the Sureflap but the price and "automatic-lock-at-night" feature sealed it - we've lost 1 cat too many to the dark roads in our village and, since we grounded them at night, our boy has reached the ripe old age of nearly 19 :)

Can't help with the UPVC door thing - our door's double-glazed so we've had to order new glass (leaving us a couple of hundred quid lighter!).

Yes, ours use a litter tray at night, although one of our kittens tries to cross her legs and wait for her dawn patrols but she just can't last out during these long winter nights :lol:

ETA, blimey! Both Amazon cat flaps have gone up to £70-75 :shock: Sorry but it's prob worth checking Amazon's prices regularly as they obviously change overnight!

Edited by Guest

Even dear DIY phobic husband can fit a cat flap. Its very easy just as well....

As for the locking cat flaps...um all 4 of our cats have all learnt how to continue bashing the flap so it comes towards them and they can open in inwards with their paws or head (if that makes sense) And when we lock it both ways they continued to bash until they broke the whole blooming unit :shock: