AndreaT

Fox attack!

Sorry for the long post but what a horrible night I've had!

I was woken at about 2.30 to the most awful racket, my first thought was fox, my second was it can't be the chickens, they're safe in their cube, my third thought was it's got one of the cats! Anyway I flew down the stairs and out the back door in my dressing gown, nearly falling over both cats in the process so it wasn't them making the noise.

All was quiet when I got out side but as I walked down the garden a fox jumped up onto the wall and ran away. I went down to investigate and couldn't see anything wrong, the cube was all fine. I hung around for a bit then went back into the house. Watching from the door I saw the fox come back again, so out I went to chase it off. Down by the cube one of the girls was making a horrible noise but I couldn't understand why. I looked round more carefully and found to my horror that there was a leg hanging out of the drainage hole under the nestbox!!!

I went into full panic mode, I didn't have a torch so had to go back to the house to get one but was scared of leaving in case the fox came back to have another go. It did come back but luckily it stayed on the wall. The nest box was full of chickens so I didn't know which one was injured, the all just laid there blinking at me. I shoved the ones I knew it couldn't be on to the roosting bars to make some room and eventually figured out it was my leghorn. So I got myself prepared to take her out of the coop, get a box ready and something to block the hole to protect the other girls and I find that her leg is well and truly stuck and won't go back into the coop! Back up to the house again to get some vaselene. It was the only thing I could think of and luckily it worked. With a bit of pulling and tugging and worrying that I was going to break her leg and she was free.

I left her in the box in the house until this morning when I could take her to the vets. I wasn't sure if she would still be with me this morning but she was still alive so I took her as soon as the vets opened. She has a really nasty bite at the top of her leg, especially the arm pit. But the vet cleaned her up, stapled her and gave her anti-biotics and a pain killer and she's now back home. We don't know yet if she'll have nerve damage or will be able to walk again. But it's early days and for now she's in the hospital wing (spare room) and I've got everything crossed.

I feel lucky and unlucky all at the same time, the first thing the vet asked me was how many did I lose. But to get an attack through that tiny gap?! And what if it'd had ripped her leg off?!

For those of you who allow their girls to sleep in the nest box like I do, please be careful and get that hole blocked up. I was using a piece of a kneeling pad, there's a litter tray in there now and it's staying!!!

How awful - I think you are indeed very lucky that he didn't breach the WIR defences, as you would likely have lost several hens if not all of them, but extremely unlucky that he was able to grab a leg through that hole. A lot of people have Cubes outside their WIR and I've always assumed this would be safe. A useful warning, thanks. Hope your leghorn recovers.

Thank you.

It does in deed! I have spoken to Omlet and they were very shocked. They don't actually sell all 3 panels only the back one but they have organised a set for me (£50!). I did suggest that it be made available on the website for people who only buy the cube and they agreed so hopefully it'll be on there soon.

Gosh what an awful thing to happen! Thank goodness you woke up and got to your poor girl in time! I always leave the bedroom window slightly open just in case! I hope your hen recovers ok, i have to say i was only thinking the other day that the hole in the nest box is un necessarily large. I understand you need a drainage hole but i do think it is just too big. We all have to block it up to stop the bedding falling out, i just cant understand why it was designed to be so large.

A horrendous tale but like other Cube owners I agree the drainage hole is just too large and bedding falls down it. I've concocted a barrier with two pieces of flexible but hardish plastic with two holes, one above the hole one below (criss crossed so that they hold) and tied with a cable tie.

Perhaps Omlet ought to be giving it some serious thought now and change the design to smaller round holes.

Sue

Oh wow, that was a close thing! I really hope your leghorn is OK, they are fabulous girls and I only said to my DH the other day, if I was to start again, I'd have 8 of them :)

I've plugged the Cube drain hole with two bits of plastic pipe (from Wickes). One sits in the slot from above (in the nest box) and one fits in below and they're tied tightly together through the slot with tie wraps. Keeps the Aubiose in brilliantly but don't know if it would withstand a determined and hungry fox :(

I hope she's showing signs of improvement, please let us know how she is in the morning :pray:

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

She was very thirsty this morning and drank lots, I had to refill the bowl twice. I'm hoping she'll eat something too as she just had a few mealworms yesterday. She also stood up which I'm taking as a good sign. To be fair she did do it so she could turn her back on me but I'm not taking in personally!

Very sorry to hear about your experiences and thanks for sharing this with us all. Hope all will be well soon.

I have an Eglu Go with a 3m extended run - as per my avatar. The run is staked down at the edges all the way round and as far as I can see is fox proof. We always lock them in the Go at night as soon as they've gone in. I always thought these Eglu products were bullet / fox proof but as we read here obviously not.

I live on the edge of a field that I know has foxes in it and consequently we never allow the girls to free range if we go out. They get locked in their run.

I could do with knowing if anyone ever had fox problems with an Eglu Go so I can beef up security if necessary.

VI always thought these Eglu products were bullet / fox proof but as we read here obviously not. .

I think the problem here was that the OP was using a Cube outside a WIR, and did not have the fox resistant run underneath the Cube. This meant that the fox could stand underneath the cube and reach up into the nest box through the air vent underneath.

As your Go is on the ground, and I don't think the Go has any air vents in the bottom anyway, you are less likely to have an issue.

I could do with knowing if anyone ever had fox problems with an Eglu Go so I can beef up security if necessary.

I can't imagine the same thing could happen with the go or classic, as the run is low to the ground. As witch hazel said, the fox can't get underneath it to reach the drainage hole in the nest box. Be wary of rats or stoats though, as they might be able to! Easily solved by blocking up the hole though :)

Glad to hear she's looking more lively x GNR:D

So are you buying some more run panels to go round the bottom of the cube?

I am, they arrived tomorrow. The 3 panels plus the skirting are £50 and you have to speak to Omlet directly as they're not available online. The space underneath will come in handy and luckily my WIR has a little door just for this purpose!

Update on VC; she has been eating a little today,is trying to walk and getting vocal. I was sat with her earlier and I thought she was coming to sit next to me but she was actually heading past me wanting out of the cage!

She's been out of the run for 2 days now and I can't see her going back for a while, when she is fit enough will I have to do a full introduction with her? What have those of you who have had injured birds done?

Thanks

Andrea

No problems with foxes, but when I had my (green eglu) classic set up like yours on the lawn, Banus, I found rats tunneling under the skirt to get in and steal the eggs - the shells were then found scattered round the garden.

I know there was a picture somewhere of an eglu that survived a bear attack in Canada or America

:clap:

Glad to hear that she seems to be recovering from her ordeal.

I wouldn't have thought that you will have to do full introductions when she goes back in with the others. I have never had a problem putting back a girl who has been away from the others even for a week or so, though I think I have a pretty docile bunch of OAPs! :D

Oh bless her, thats so sweet, hope she continues to improve.

I had a silkie who broke her wing and was separated for two weeks although she could see the others and hated being apart so in the end we just let her out and it was as if she had never been away, no pecking etc at all. She still had the bandage on at the time and they didn't take any notice of that either.