chucknette Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 Hi everyone My advice to cards from people you dont know is look closer to home. I sent my mum a card from Samual and Ella every year with a little note just to let her know how they were getting on. It was all drunken parties, police chases and self inflicted illnesses ( Ella was ordered by the courts to have cooking classes as they feared she might kill Sam with her cooking) My Mum showed me these cards and I had to act bemused and shocked and inspect the envelope and yes Mum it has your name on it so it must be someone you know. My Mum died this year in August and I asked my sisters if they had seen the cards Mum recieved every year and they had. Its the only time I have and will admit it was me as I will be looking for another victim Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 Hi everyone My advice to cards from people you dont know is look closer to home. I sent my mum a card from Samual and Ella every year with a little note just to let her know how they were getting on. It was all drunken parties, police chases and self inflicted illnesses ( Ella was ordered by the courts to have cooking classes as they feared she might kill Sam with her cooking) My Mum showed me these cards and I had to act bemused and shocked and inspect the envelope and yes Mum it has your name on it so it must be someone you know. My Mum died this year in August and I asked my sisters if they had seen the cards Mum recieved every year and they had. Its the only time I have and will admit it was me as I will be looking for another victim That's amazing! I don't think I could keep a straight face when confronted about who Sam and Ella were Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lydia Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 When I was a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital many years ago my consultant always referred to me as 'Nicola Evans'. My first name (at the time) was Kathryn and although my maiden surname was Welsh it wasn't Evans and my correct name was clearly emblazoned all over my notes! We corrected him every time but every time we went back for the next appointment I was always Nicola again and my parents were always Mr and Mrs Evans. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clash City Rocker Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 I've been sending my mother in law/father in law a card from "someone they don't know" (Gilbert) for over 10 years, it drives her mad Sometimes I deliver it by hand when I know that she's not at home. Sometimes I add a comment "we must meet-up for coffee", "pop in if your passing my house" etc etc Last year i filled the card with glitter that she opened in her lounge and then had to vacuum the mess up Every year at Christmas lunch she mentions "another card off Gilbert someone"..... To J & M "Happy Christmas" Love from Gilbert xxxxx You shold try it, add one to your Christmas card list for next year !!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 I've been sending my mother in law/father in law a card from "someone they don't know" (Gilbert) for over 10 years, it drives her mad Sometimes I deliver it by hand when I know that she's not at home. Sometimes I add a comment "we must meet-up for coffee", "pop in if your passing my house" etc etc Last year i filled the card with glitter that she opened in her lounge and then had to vacuum the mess up Every year at Christmas lunch she mentions "another card off Gilbert someone"..... To J & M "Happy Christmas" Love from Gilbert xxxxx You shold try it, add one to your Christmas card list for next year !!!!! That's brilliant!! I really wanna try that now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 That is marvellous Clash. I am off to write one to my Brother & his new victim,as they have just moved into a new house & will have given everyone they know their new address. Now - who to make it from? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted December 21, 2011 Author Share Posted December 21, 2011 Careful what goes around comes around - you too could be on Janice and Dougies, sam and ellas or gilberts list next year - careful what you wish for Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 Or Sandys Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 I'd love to do that but wouldn't be able to keep a straight face - too transparent Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted December 21, 2011 Author Share Posted December 21, 2011 Wouldnt do it to my dad it would worry him. Might do to a friend but only if I knew it wouldnt add stress to their lives. It would be fun to do to someone at work from a grateful patient with a silly name like Yura Twit - we have so many patients with non English names suspect they would never catch on Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted December 21, 2011 Share Posted December 21, 2011 I laughed all they way through reading this thread. I am now trying to think of a suiable victum that I can send a card to. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranfield Kate Posted December 22, 2011 Share Posted December 22, 2011 I got a card this year addressed to me with my married name (I got divorced in the summer) but spelled wrong and from a "David". absolutely no idea who this is! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted December 22, 2011 Share Posted December 22, 2011 A work friend has two children called Sam and Ella... They buy eggs off me too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted December 23, 2011 Share Posted December 23, 2011 Mother sent ma Big Sis and their family a card this year, "Lots of love from, C, P, Lewis and Richard" - my brother is called Nathan... Explain that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted December 23, 2011 Author Share Posted December 23, 2011 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pips_pekins Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 Mother sent ma Big Sis and their family a card this year, "Lots of love from, C, P, Lewis and Richard" - my brother is called Nathan... Explain that There are 3 of us at home and 3 people next door but one. Two of them share the same names with two of us so we often get the wrong card from the house in the middle of us both! For years we also used to get a card addressed to a family we had never heard of - our house is only 30 years old and we bought it off the first owners. In the summer, they also used to send separate postcards to each individual family member and sign them off with either 'Mum and Dad' or 'Gran and Grandad' depending on who they were addressed to. I thought this was very sad but we were never able to get to the bottom of it and then they stopped. When he was much younger, I used to try to encourage DS to write cards to various family members. Unfortunately, he always used to write his own name where theirs should have been Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clash City Rocker Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 I've been sending my mother in law/father in law a card from "someone they don't know" (Gilbert) for over 10 years, it drives her mad Sometimes I deliver it by hand when I know that she's not at home. Sometimes I add a comment "we must meet-up for coffee", "pop in if your passing my house" etc etc Last year i filled the card with glitter that she opened in her lounge and then had to vacuum the mess up Every year at Christmas lunch she mentions "another card off Gilbert someone"..... To J & M "Happy Christmas" Love from Gilbert xxxxx You shold try it, add one to your Christmas card list for next year !!!!! Posted this years card last night while they were out delivering presents "Dear J & M Happy Christmas Love GIlbert...ps visiting my sister until Wednesday, so I will try and pop in Tues/Wed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted December 24, 2011 Share Posted December 24, 2011 I love that Clash! Turns out Mother has renamed Nat to Richard in my cousins card too?! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 25, 2011 Share Posted December 25, 2011 I love that Clash! Turns out Mother has renamed Nat to Richard in my cousins card too?! And I thought it was only my mother who had trouble remember who I am Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted December 26, 2011 Share Posted December 26, 2011 I love that Clash! Turns out Mother has renamed Nat to Richard in my cousins card too?! And I thought it was only my mother who had trouble remember who I am Oh no - and it comes to us all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 26, 2011 Share Posted December 26, 2011 I sometimes get names mixed up - Mike and Mark are the ones that get me, especially when I am busy/tired. My mother has had a series of stroked which triggered dementia, manageable at the moment, but we have fun when she can't remember who is who. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted December 27, 2011 Share Posted December 27, 2011 This thread made me laugh so much. I just had to start this off with freinds of ours. I only wished I had done it years ago as up untill we moved in August we always went round their home on 28th Dec I would loved to see them scratching their heads and woundering. It has been a very busy year Sarah gave birth to twins and is well. Simon and his prtner have adopted a 2 year old girl. Terry had a hip replacement and doing well. Do pop in if you pass. All the best Carol and Terry I have photo copied it so I can continue next year and add more info. My house looks like a bombs hit it. The kitchen was pulled out today and I have kitchen things everywhere and I am writing fake card. Omlet forum stops me going mad or incourages it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted December 10, 2013 Author Share Posted December 10, 2013 Sorry to boast up my own thread but wondered if Eglutyne has had her mystery card yet from a couple she doesnt know? I couldn;t find it on search. Last year I laughed so much at this thread and the one re said card I thought the newbies might like a giggle. Mods please feel free to swap threads if you know its title. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grandmashazzie Posted December 10, 2013 Share Posted December 10, 2013 Hilarious.What a boring life I have led up to now.I am going to send one to my son and his wife tomorrow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted December 10, 2013 Share Posted December 10, 2013 OH got a card today, addressed just to him - from Edinburgh - no name inside. Mystery . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...