Groovychook

How hard is it to learn to crochet? Update :)

Yay!!! :dance:

I was exactly the same as you... tried and tried... got frustrated :wall: but... had a short course, practiced loads... and I cracked it!

I absolutely love it now :D

I am a very happy hooker lol! :lol:

I have made some handwarmers as a gift for my Sister, some for myself and am just making a girly baby blanket for my friends Daughter :D

So well done and happy hooking :D It's very addictive!

I've been a hooker for must be 3 years now! :wink:

Remember not to get confused with the American terms! Always check when you buy a book on crochet, whether it is UK or American terms. I usually find this out, by looking at where the author or publisher is from.

For ages I couldn't get past a chain. Then one day I just cracked it. I did sometimes forget my turning chains to bring my work up to the correct height for the next row. Oops!

After straight rows of crochet, I wanted to make a granny square. It all made sense. A chain, a slip stitch, chain 3, 2 trebles into ring, chain 2... blah blah. Oh the joy at having made a square. Every room had a set of coasters! :lol: Then piles of squares were slowly stacking up. Before long I stitched them together to make a blanket - woohoo! And you will too!!

Amigurumi takes practice. Mainly because I lose my place a lot! I forget where the start of the row is. Der! Magic rings to start off are a bit tricky too. Basically Amigurumi is crochet in a spiral to make tube / ball shapes, which you stuff & turn into cutey pets.

Once you're a hooker there is no going back! :anxious:

Emma.x

I love doing Amigurumi but I need to do it in a quiet room and count count count. I've got some stitch markers, but I never know where to put them :lol: Is it in the end of the last 'row' or in the first stitch of the next 'row'? I have made some elephants, two grey and one stripy, and another one which I won't mention as it was to do with some SS swap :D I have loads of patterns saved and printed for me to make, and almost bought some books from a comic book store (Forbidden Planet, S'oton) as they had such cute little creatures in them. But I resisted. Don't know for how long :lol::oops:

I too found doing the initial chain difficult. I think it was trying to get to grips with the thread and the hook, and how to hold it, and what goes where. But like you Emma, it suddenly clicked. I think that was down to doing many many chains and undoing them.

The first row into the chain is always the most difficult as the chain can twist and you may hook through the back of a chain. It can be really frustrating, but with practice you will get there, and use a larger hook for the chain too.

What the hook is made from seems to affect how well I progress too. I can't use plastic or wooden hooks. Anodised aluminum suits me best.

Thought I would resurrect this thread to rather belatedly say...

I can do it!!

After a lot of swear words and even more untangling, I finally got the hang of it. Very much helped by Attic24's marvellous tutorials.

KRGvpcfl.jpg

Meet my ever growing blanket pile.

I'm ever so slightly addicted :oops:

My house is very woolly these days :lol:

I've finally found an image uploading site that's easy to use so it prompted me to show off my progress!

It's called imgur and it's refreshingly easy to use :)

Thanks all :D

I'm chuffed to bits to have something I can do in the evening whilst watching TV. I'm not great at sitting still and doing nothing so it's perfect for me :)

I've did the latest log cabin CAL with Attic24. I didn't do the Lucy colours but I'm pleased with the way it's turned out. Did anyone else take part?

Here's mine...

4xCJYChl.jpg

I hope Imgur works for you Karin. I'm not at all techy and I find it so easy to use. I've downloaded the app for my phone too :)

Wow they look amazing :clap: I love Attic24 too, trying to make her 'Elmer' style cushion as a blanket instead. I'm a complete beginner but have decided to make it harder by using the join as you go method. I thought it would help me see results faster but in reality I think it just slows me down.

I'm also a big fan of Bella Coco's youtube tutorials, they are very clear and sometimes it's easier to see what you should be doing rather than read it. I had great fun trying out lots of fun squares... not that I've done anything with them.

Keep the updates coming, I love seeing everyone's amazing talents!

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I'm not a person of big projects... Don't have the attention span...

Ah, but I've seen the amazing amigurumi things you make. I really struggle with that style of crochet. I can't cope with all the counting!!

I've made the crochet babushka dolls by Nicki Trench but I found them stressful to do. I kept having to second check every row, even when I was using stitch markers.

Mind you, maths was never my strong point :lol:

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I'm not a person of big projects... Don't have the attention span...

Ah, but I've seen the amazing amigurumi things you make. I really struggle with that style of crochet. I can't cope with all the counting!!

I've made the crochet babushka dolls by Nicki Trench but I found them stressful to do. I kept having to second check every row, even when I was using stitch markers.

Mind you, maths was never my strong point :lol:

I bought myself a digital counter. It's a small little thing you slide on your finger and you just click it to add a row. Works a charm.

I'm finally done with my vest... Never again... Took loads of measuring and counting as well and made a mistake half way through, which I discovered at the end of course... I'll upload pictures in the What have you made topic.