Groovychook

How hard is it to learn to crochet? Update :)

I've got a bee in my bonnet about wanting to make a granny square blanket! :D

I'm an arty crafty person but have never attempted crochet- wouldn't know where to start!

Is it the sort of thing you can learn from a book- if so, can anyone recommend one with clear instructions?

Edited by Guest

You tube have alot of helpful videos,I taught myself a couple of years ago from a book I bought in the works called learn to crochet,but im always going on you tube to teach myself new stitches and patterns etc."Crochet geek "is a good one to look at on you tube as she does alot of the video in slowmotion so can see how to make the stitch easier.Good luck x x x

Thanks everyone- there are loads of good suggestions there :D

I went for a day course at a local wool shop.

That's an idea- there's a lovely wool shop in town... I might go and see if she'll take me under her wing- just to start me off!

By the way Plum, I'd spied those colourful hooks you mentioned on ebay... I might treat myself- no harm in being prepared :whistle:

I learnt crochet about 2 years ago now, by following the step by step instructions on Attic24. Lucy (who's blog it is) does some fabulous stuff and does really great tutorials. Also, looked at youtube vids, and borrowed a book from the library, which I ended up buying. I love it. I've always got loads of ideas going through my head, yet to be started :D

Where are you in Cornwall, as I'm in N devon, nr Holsworthy?? and I crotchet.. it's cheaper than Gin!!

Hiya Freddie, I'm only just just over the border near Launceston- it'd be nice to see you again!

I may just pop up your way if I get into a pickle with my on line tutorial! :lol:

Well, I've just come back from town and have got myself a hook and a ball of wool... the nice lady gave me a printed sheet of instructions too :D

I spent ages last night looking at Attic24- what a great site... I'm itching to get going! I've got a load of books in my wish list on Amazon too and the wool shop lady recommended a gorgeous looking book called 'The Crochet Bible'. She did say to try and master the basics first though.

I'll update you with my first efforts later :anxious:

Is it straight into the granny squares? :D

I bloomin' well hope so!! :lol:

Right- chooks have been shut in, cup of tea is at the ready... I can't wait till this evening!

Printed instructions from wool shop lady already look like gobbledegook- I'm off to find a good video for simpletons!

Prepare for my next post to contain a 'banging head against wall' smiley... :roll:

I have done a chain... a very long chain!!

It took a few rewinds to get my slip knot mastered :oops:

The wool feels really weird wrapped around my fingers and I don't feel like I've got any control over it!

The nice American man who's teaching me has been trying to get me to move onto the next stitch for the past ten minutes, but he may as well be speaking in tongues...

I'm just cracking on with my chain for now- I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for it?!! :lol:

Chicken lead? Do we get a photo of the chain :D

Noooo! I will master something other than the chain. I really, really will! :wall:

I have had a few attempts at 'breaking out' into the next row... fell out with my American friend and have moved onto nice lady called 'Girlybunches'.

I'm struggling to keep my tension loose. Grrrrr!!

Might have something to do with the fact that I've just felt a tug on the end of my wool. Got up and followed the trail of lovely pink yarn, all the way up the hall and into the kitchen, where small dog who shall not be named had gathered said wool into an arrangement of his liking under his dog blanket.

I am now entering a mode of detangling. This might take some time, as small dog and bad tabby cat think it is the best game ever.

I think I may need a hermetically sealed room for crocheting in future.

Humph :twisted:

Naughty! :shameonu::lol:

My lovely wool smells of James Wellbeloved ocean fish biscuits now!

Anyway, I have progressed and have now and managed to reverse up my chain stitch- a double crochet?!

That's enough stress for one evening- I'll try and do another row tomorrow :roll:

... A granny square seems ever so slightly unachievable at the moment!