SusieT

Sad/happy/sad day

My two girls Amber and Matilda were free ranging in the garden this morning, something they have done for three years without problems. I was away from the house for an hour and when I got back the garden was covered in feathers. There was no sign of Matilda but Amber was hunched on the grass obviously traumatised but no obvious injuries. My first thought was a fox had taken Matilda but there have been no fox sightings around here. I put Amber in her coop and kept her warm, quiet and in the dark and checked on her throughout the afternoon.

After a couple of hours of checking I was about to leave the garden to go back indoors when Matilda popped out from behind the playhouse! I was so excited. I couldn't entice her out as she was very scared so I had to squeeze in and get her. She was wobbly on her legs and had a lot of feathers missing on her back but was quite alert and had some mealworms. I put her in with Amber who was still struggling and thought it might pep her up a bit as the are inseparable.

Anyway I was on the phone to Mum telling her the good news when a couple arrived at the door to confess that their Pointer dog had escaped from their garden and had attacked my girls! I was less than polite I must confess but at least they had owned up. And it turned out that one of them was a vet so she had a look at them and said just to carry on with what I was doing as there were no injuries. But when I went out to check on them again Amber had sadly died from the shock. Sorry this is long winded but I'm obviously very upset and it could have easily have been avoided.

OMG! I am so sorry to hear this, having had to have one of my girls PTS following an attack from a dog a month ago I can understand how you are feeling right now, I hope that Matilda makes a full recovery from this, and if it's any consolation at all to you right now my (Bluebelle) Eva had horrid bites on her back too and is still with us...HUGE {{{{{HUGS}}}}} and thinking of you right now xxxxx

P.S My neighbours eventually compensated me for the cost of my girl, but I had to involve the police and the dog warden before they did, they sent me a letter with a cheque, said letter was passed onto the police and Dog Warden who both told me my neighbours had done the right thing but that if it happened again their dog would be taken away as he now has "form" :shock::?:?:?

such sad news {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Well done to the dogs owner for telling you what happened, many wouldn't have. I am sure they are most distressed at what their dog has done and their lack of ability to control it (after all a dog can't help its nature).

I hope you can get a new friend for your girl soon and begin to enjoy your chicken keeping again

So sorry for your trauma and loss :(

Did the couple leave any contact details? If was very honest, and good, of them to let you know what had happened - at least you won't be forever wondering about what/how/when.

I'm not one to leave mine out when I'm not around to supervise them, but that is just my way of doing things - Mr Fox still managed to get my girls a year ago when I was sleeping though.

((hugs))

Thankyou for all your kind words and support. This morning Matilda is still with us but is very subdued. She wont come out of her nestbox as I suspect she is still frightened and confused as to the whereabouts of Amber. She is taking small amounts of food and water but only if I hold it up to her.She is going to need lots of love and attention in the next few days but I'm sure she is going to pull through.