ClaireG

Yorkshire Ideas Please.

I'd say a night in York and a wander round the city.

York was the first break away that me and my now husband went on 10 years ago so have always had a soft spot for it. We went to try and find the white horse in the hillside, a bit difficult when it's snowing!!

Depending on your budget look up the crab and lobster hotel, or shipton inn.

North Yorkshire Moors railway at Pickering is a good day out combined with a good walk on the moors.

Castle Howard near York is worth a visit.

Fountains Abbey

York for the day is very nice, good shopping & a nice walk along the river.

Sage

North Yorkshire Moors railway at Pickering is a good day out combined with a good walk on the moors.

Castle Howard near York is worth a visit.

York for the day is very nice, good shopping & a nice walk along the river.

Sage

I agree with these. We did a boat trip in York, it was lovely getting a different view of the city. We had a trip on the steam train to the village that was used for Heartbeat, it was packed though with us tourists! We all enjoyed the train and the stunning countryside though.

We also did Jorvik Viking centre which was also good.

Have a lovely time. :D

If you're into gardening there is a lovely nursery just outside Whitby at sleights, it's signposted from the main road, perry's plants. Lovely setting and cafe too. Robin hoods bay is nice, also easy reach of Whitby for a day trip. We do at least 2 nights in Whitby every year, I would do York for one then whitby for one or 2. There are a few nice bars there now so save up and have a cocktail or 2 at the marine!

If you're into gardening there is a lovely nursery just outside Whitby at sleights, it's signposted from the main road, perry's plants. Lovely setting and cafe too. Robin hoods bay is nice, also easy reach of Whitby for a day trip. We do at least 2 nights in Whitby every year, I would do York for one then whitby for one or 2. There are a few nice bars there now so save up and have a cocktail or 2 at the marine!

It's the Marine's sister place, The Moon and Sixpence, i've booked :D

A must at Whitby is the "Magpie Cafe" it is the best fish restaurant in the whole of Yorkshire. There is always a massive line of people waiting for tables so book if you can.

They have a website if you want a look.

Sage

I'm off to North Yorkshire in July too! I've been rather indulgent and we are off to a five star holiday cottage halfway between Whitby and Scarborough. Mum is from Scarborough so I'm hoping to take OH to all my childhood haunts. He's been on google maps and is threatening to stay up there!

I'm also hoping to visit the Magpie in Whitby, anyone know if there are quiet times or do you just have to pre book for a table??

I am hoping to visit Brian Glaves's shop in Brompton by Sawden, he's a brilliant butcher and my nan used to have meat off his butcher's van, she lived a few villages down from Brian, my mum grew up with him. Tom Parker Bowles mentioned his pork pies in an article a while back and said they were the best pork pies he'd had. I'm also hoping to have a meal at the Downe Arms in Wykeham, been there as a child and they held car boot sales on the car park years ago, but the meals look great, and the meat is all local (Yorkshire lamb is the best I've ever tasted!).

York has a fantastic park and ride bus service and regular, perhaps you could stay outside and bus in? If you have kids i'd suggest the Jourvik centre, the York dungon (sorry spelling bad at mo, having a senior moment), boat trip which is near the dungons. If not the shambles is a must and the minster, theres also a an old house round round the back of the minster, who's name escapes me that a roman legion is suppost to be seen marching through the cellar.

as you are traveling from Whitby to York you might fancy stopping off at Eden camp at Malton for a visit (depends if you are interested in WW2 as I am) its an ex Italian prisoner of war camp. www.edencamp.co.uk/

Next time maybe you will head for my birthplace of Ilkley in West Yorkshire and the Dales :wink:

Hi Claire

The Treasurer's House behind the Minster is owned by the National Trust and is the one which reportedly has Roman ghosts. Next to it is a lovely place called Gray's Court that does lunches and afternoon tea - beautiful building. From where you are staying on Heworth Green it's about a 15 minute walk into town via Monk Bar, both Gray's Court, Treasurer's House are near Monk Bar.

My favourite thing to do in York (and I live here) is walk the walls - fab view of the place!

You will be spoiled for choice for things to do!