Alis girls

Bloomin rain

i cleaned the girls out this am - their run is like the Somme and OH wondered if they would get trench foot like the troops did. I am not even sure if Eglu is water proof anymore. Under Roosting bars is awash. The lawn has mini pond. Ok I know we had a drought but I;ve had enough. The girls food was a porridge and despite a roof on run rain comes in at an angle. Sorry to moan just frustrated cant get out and muck around in garden/ allotment and with the girls

We share your pain! I cleaned the (cube green) and (green eglu) yesterday, changed glugs and re-filled grubs so I wouldn't have to do it today. OMG the rain hasn't stopped...there are pools of water in the garden, pools of water around some edges of the run, my conservatory roof is dripping in 2 places and I've just discovered water dripping down my bedroom wall :shock: I'm sick to death of it too...and the dog's totally unimpressed as I refuse to go out in this awful weather :roll:

Probably shouldn't say it, but it's wonderful in Inverness. Sun's been out all day, chooks are running around while I weed (they help some of the time). I only came in to see if you can feed poumpkin seeds to chickens. Answers seem to be yes across here and other sites, so I'm going back out and will give them their treat when I put them back in the run.

I saw on the weather map that Northern Scotland is looking bright and sunny but here my chooks are pretty soggy. They've tried to keep under shelter

Chickenseatingcorninthedry_29-04-12.jpg

but then they pop out, between downpoors, to dry out a wee bit,

Chickensdryingout_29-04-12.jpg

but get caught and drenched all over again.

ChickenDotty_willIeverbeclean_29-04-12.jpg

For the third evening running it'll be 'wash and set' for poor Dotty before bed :( so OH is saying "No more Polands" :talk2hand::anxious:

I am so fed up with it too. My garden is also like the Somme, especially the chicken pen. Hubby and I dug about 20 buckets of sloppy mud out of there yesterday and after today's rain I am sure we could dig twice as much out again.

Tango is less than impressed with the rain too - she doesn't 'do' rain :roll: We've both spent the last few days going out for walks in our waterproofs :lol: and I must admit she's been on shorter walks as I've been so cold and wet I've just wanted to hurry home for hot chocolate! I think I'm starting to know how Noah felt, I might just have to go and build myself an ark :lol:

:( Went up to the run earlier today, and thought 'hmm, that looks muddy'. I stepped inside and my foot sank about an inch ... this is a covered WIR, and I live on a hill, it has never been that wet before. I haven't got time to do much about it today, but we have had rain nonstop for 24 hours here so perhaps it's not surprising.

It dried up about 2.00 pm and the sun came out, but it's clouding over again now.

Raining here too! On and off for about four days now so our girlies are pretty bedraggled :roll:

Even there fave spot under the crazy-soon-to-be-cut-down-conifer is soggy today

They refuse to go under the protection of there coop! :doh:

So I had to run out and put the trampoline cover on they seem to really love it under there :D

Woke up to chicken and woodchip soup in the run yesterday; all wet through and shivering, bless them, despite the covered roof.

Cleared out Classic and added dry bedding (not the full wash works) and put out three stations of food and drink. Tarped them in on north and west facing sides as once they are in, they are in for a few days ... and there's more forecast for tomorrow. We are under a little blue cloud of damp for the next few days according to all the forecasts I have seen.

Well, we've got some sun now so I thought I'd take advantage and clean out my hen house. To my horror it is all wet inside on one edge. I don't think it has come through the roof as all ledges near the roof are dry. I think the rain must have blown through the vent holes (it is not an Eglu or Cube). Much to my chooks' displeasure it is all dismantled now to dry out before tomorrow's rain comes.

Lavenders_Blue trouble with being Noah and building an ark . . . I couldn't just take two chooks :anxious::whistle: or two dogs . . . or two of anything, come to think of it, but I do have some doves all ready to bear the olive branch :)

The photos of your chickens Chubby Chook are just fabulous, especially your Poland. How pretty they are. Trouble is.......I don't think May is going to be much better if the warnings they have been giving us are true. Maybe not soooooo much rain but very cold. Oh well, you certainly never get bored here in the UK!!!! Roll on June?

Chubby Chook, I take your point about it being impossible to limit yourself two just two chooks and dogs - you'd have to have an extra large ark! :lol: Thankfully it's dried up here today too, so I can put that dilemma aside for now :D

I also found yesterday that one of my coops had leaked - not good. I have two wooden arks (how appropriate) both second hand. One is a Forsham ark which is tough as old boots and can withstand any kind of weather that is thrown at it. I take good care of this one as it's such a good quality coop and really built to last. The other one (the leaky one!) is an el-cheapo flat pack job, which was given to me for free so I can't really complain too much. However when it does fall apart (and I shan't be bothering to take any preventative measures :whistle: ) then I'll replace it with another Forsham.

Thank goodness I had my wellies on yesterday when I went dog walking - the fields were absolutely awash :shock: The ground is just so saturated it can't hold any more water. There were massive pools of water covering the fields, I sploshed through it in my wellies (and yes, I did indulge in a bit of puddle jumping :lol: ) but Tango who doesn't believe in getting her paws wet, was less than impressed. On the plus side, she got plenty of exercise taking long detours round the huge puddles! :lol:

The Sun has finally come out down here :D

And I speant the morning with the poultry shield and diatom powder

I even cleaned all their drinkers n feeders (first time ever ) :dance:

I even raked up all the stone moss leaves n bits of plastic toys the girlies managed to unearth...

After a week of grey storms rain soggy chooks and poorly child on sofa

It has been SO good to get outside

We've got a falling apart slightly leaky coop too! As soon as our new Devon arrives

It's going to be recycled (though thought I'd keep it as a broody coup)

Can't wait to get the paint pot out on the new coup :lol:

Ill post some piccys as soon as I'm done

The girlies are preening and sun bathing now

Hope you all stay dry!