WitchHazel

Royal Mail Rant

On Monday I posted some specs off to Ciliary Blue for reglazing. I've just switched to varifocals, so I had to include a current pair of VFs as well. I phoned Ciliary Blue before posting to explain that I only had the one pair, and they said they would use Royal Mail Special Delivery to get my current specs back to me immediately.

So, I posted them off on Monday, special delivery. They arrived with Ciliary Blue on Tuesday. On Wednesday - I had no specs. I phoned Ciliary Blue who gave me the tracking number, and this indocated that the parcel was posted to me on Tuesday and was in the system somewhere. I was a bit cross (with Royal Mail) at this point, as the whole purpose of Special Delivery was to guarantee next day delivery.

On Thursday (today), the tracking said that my parcel was out for delivery. 1pm came and went, and no specs had arrived. I checked the tracking which said that the parcel had been delivered from the NUneaton office. I guessed what had happened, and I phoned Ciliary Blue to check.

Sure enough, stupid Royal Mail had delivered the parcel to the sender (even though the parcel was correctly addressed and labelled with the Royal Mail's official label). And it wasn't just mine, they had managed to deliver 3 parcels back to Ciliary Blue.

The chap at Ciliary Blue phoned Royal Mail to find out what he was supposed to do now. The answer? Be grateful that they hadn't got lost altogether, and pay again to send them by special delivery a second time. The "customer service" chap could not see that there was a problem, given that the parcels had not got lost.

Because they had 3 such items, Ciliary Blue are going through the compensation procedure, but it has already cost them more (in terms of salary costs of someone sitting there and making the request) to go through the procedure than they will get back.

In addition, of course, is the damage to CB's reputation. I've used them before so I know that there service is exemplary. It won't stop me using them again. The other two customers, however, are first time users, and I bet they won't use CB again.

MIstakes happen, of course... but the lack of interest is unforgivable.

Rant over.

well I've been looking for a good online specs company - so I'll use these people as you're happy with them - that should help them a tiny bit :)

I do rate them highly, we've had several pairs reglazed with them and the service has always been excellent. I am in no way affiliated with the company or any of its employees :lol:

Oh yes, Justin, is our little postie - he's lovely. Spotted DD's credit card on the ground in the driveway so he posted it in our letter box with a little note. She left him a Penguin biscuit and a thank you letter! But parcel deliveries are something else! Very hit and miss. As for next day delivery - pah! And then other times they are fine. :?

Our post is horrendous, some days we don't get a delivery until gone 3pm, which when trying to run a business really doesn't help. The amount of missdelivered post we get and the regularity with which things go missing is astonishing.

I cannot think of any other product/service where customers regularly don't get what they are paying for and they keep getting away with it.

The icing on the cake for me was when I had a signed fro delivery; he didn't get a signature, but put a card through the door saying that it had been left in 'the blue box in your front garden'.... now that blue crate was the recycling box that I'd put out for collection. You can guess the rest :roll:

Same happened to me a few weeks ago didn't need to sign but I got home to find a card telling me parcel was left in blue bin . It was bin day & bin had been emptied. :doh:

Sage

Interestingly enough, we have been told that posties are no longer allowed to leave parcels/packets as, if it then goes missing, they could be accused of having stolen it :shock: ! Apparently they all had to watch a video about this and were told that they could be dismissed for leaving stuff :? . Now it has to be either left with a neighbour (none of whom are ever in anyway) or returned to the delivery office (aka Post Office :lol: ) which is fine as its only 5 mins round the corner!

Equally, we seem to go days without having post then get quite a bit at once (funny old thing, that!! :think: ) However, I do get my own back as many of the packets (generally e-bay!) come unfranked so I peel the stamps off...... :whistle:

Had trouble with Royal Mail recently too! My boyfriend ordered a new pay as you go SIM card of the internet. It arrived really late in a damaged goods bag with a very general apology note attached (no explanation). The letter had been ripped in two diagonally, bottom half missing and the SIM card gone.

On top of that a bank statement and details of my account switching to a student bank account were sent to my home address before my new uni address could be processed by my bank. Mum forwarded those to me a week ago at the same time she posted another letter, first class. The other letter arrived the next day, still waiting on mine. I've about given up.

DS ordered an airbrush from the States.....it was tracked from the other side of the pond to within 4 miles of home, ie our local sorting office, where it was decided for some reason the parcel needed to go BACK to the States, DH located it on its route to a bigger sorting office, but it was too late, it couldn't be stopped "byebye airbrush", which eventually turned up back where it started!

Many letters to Royal Mail amounting to nothing but a cross DH & DS :evil:

I do most of my shopping on the net whether its a small package or a parcel RM is one of the most reliable.

Hope and pray your suppliers never use Yodel. there-in lies madness.

Indeed! they used to be DFL or something? Caught their delivery man leaving my house the other day without leaving a parcel or a note. I asked why and he said the 'house didn't look lived in'

That would be despite the lights being on, pots of plants in the garden etc etc?

(but perhaps I really should get round to cutting the hedge :oops: )

What a coincidence - after looking up the previous thread about Ciliary Blue last week, my OH sent off a pair of glasses for re-glazing as he has loads of frames he likes and the opticians prices really add up.

Well I was intending to re-open the previous thread to thank those who recommended Ciliaru Blue once his glasses came back, but guess what, he too had problems with Royal Mail. He paid extra for the "Signed for" option and his tracking number never showed as delivered, but after e-mailing Ciliary Blue, they confirmed that they had received them. It must be causing them a lot of wasted time, just hope he receives his re-glazed pair back OK.