Roselady

Advocate for dogs

Hello there :)

Not posted for a while re our girls or our new addition (puppy) but I read posts everyday as I love this forum.

I wondered if I could have some opinions on what people think of Advocate please? Our vet has prescribed this to me as when I went for some worming stuff last night. She recommended it as I told them I've caught him trying to eat slugs a few times and he has also taken an extreme liking to rolling in either fox or badger poo (absolutely stinks :vom: ) when we let him off lead on our weekend rural walks.

I've googled it and am now a bit worried as there seems to be quite a reaction against it on some dog forums (which incidentally I've found rather aggressive!)

He is 18wks old now. Funny, we can't imagine our garden or house now without our girls and dog. They quickly get under your skin don't they.

We used to use it because our Vet Practice convinced us that we needed to :roll: when we got our first dog as an 8 week old pup. However after about a year of using it and debating the subject on another Forum that I'm a member of, we decided to stop using any chemicals on our dogs. We'd rather treat them if the need arises; 3 years into dog ownership, they've not had any illness or nasties :)

Dog forums are scary places indeed! Everyone has an opinion and woe betide if you disagree with it :shock:

I've never used Advocate so can't help you with how 'safe' it is. I get the impression a lot of vets are more or less convincing people that their dog is going to get lungworm and pushing Advocate onto them. Must be good commission from the drug company! It's perhaps a different matter if your dog is actually eating slugs, but as far as I am aware, the risk of lungworm is very small indeed and I'd rather be aware of the symptoms than applying chemicals to my dog every month. That's too often in my opinion. I think I'm also right that Advocate doesn't treat tapeworm (?) so you will still need to use a 3-monthly worming tablet such as Drontal or Milbemax to cover that. Incidentally, Milbemax does manage lungworm (doesn't treat it completely but reduces the worm burden) so if you worm regularly every three months with Milbemax you shouldn't need to use Advocate each month. Personally I use Frontline every two months... or less as I am forgetful... and Milbemax every 3 months.

But I think you will get as many different answers on how to manage parasites as there are dog owners!

I did try the chemical free route for Tango, but then found a dirty great big tick on her! :shock::vom: So it's back to Frontline for us, certainly in the summer months.

I am about to start the hooligans on Advocate after the fleas hereabouts seemed to be resistant to Frontline Combo, but then the filthy beasts will go burrowing through the undergrowth and digging in rabbit burrows :roll: Previously Frontline had always been brilliant though... I also suspect an acquaintances house which we sometimes visit; they seem to come back from there with little travellers, but then she doesn't 'do' chemicals and treats her dogs herbally if at all.

I have heard about some reactions to Advocate, but only when it first came out, none since. I will report back when I've started them on it next month.

It is a mild wormer but doesn't cover tapeworm so I will continue with Drontal but only every 6 months. I check them regularly for ticks and will continue to keep an eye on that as Advocate doesn't cover those.

Thanks so much all for your thoughts on this :D

We are very new to it all like we were with chook keeping in May.

I've applied the Advocate but I'm not keen on it and he's spent the last 30 minutes rolling!

I will use the next two but research in the meantime. He had milbemax last time.

I didn't like the forums I surfed, but then I'm used to this friendly one :)

Rory is a yorkie Russell, 18wks,

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/Roses126/Snapbucket/A752315F.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/Roses126/Snapbucket/A22B5E64.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

We use Advocate for our shih tzu as she is still a puppy and she does eat slugs and snails and pretty much anything else that she comes across, so for her we thought it a good thing to give her. I had no idea it didn't protect her from tape worms as the vet didn't even mention that.

Our other dog is a 13yr old labrador and we don't use anything on her and haven't for a number of years and she has been fine.

You can send poo samples to a place that tests it for any worms or parasites and then you just treat them if they find anything :)

Our puppy is now 6 months old and is my first dog so I have just gone along with the vet's recommendations. She gets Advocate every month and at the last visit was give Drontal (she has to have this again in 6 months time). I suppose I want Lara to be as healthy as possible for her own sake and also to protect us and any children who play with her from the possibility of picking up bugs. She has never had a problems relating to the medications. I think I am much the same in my outlook to henkeeping in that I give the girls flubenvet regularly.

Reading this thread with great interest. All these Vets must be on great commission! Our pup (1st time dog owner here too) had second jab last week, and was pushed Advocate too, I'd brought it before I'd even realised what was happening :? I havn't applied it yet, and am stunned to see it doesn't treat Tapeworm! The vet said its an all in one :shock: but then again, my vet AFTER I payed for my second jab Said Pup needed a third, due to being given two different brands :evil:

I'm with LolaLayla, would gladly spend if it insured there (and the kids) health.

my vet AFTER I payed for my second jab Said Pup needed a third, due to being given two different brands :evil:

I'm with LolaLayla, would gladly spend if it insured there (and the kids) health.

I had that too but the third jab was free as it was different brands (the breeders bet did a different brand) Apparently the drug manufacturer pick up the cost. My vet was good and did tell me before she did the first one (for her, second for Neela) but it was amongst a lot of other info so I wasn't sure. I emailed them and they confirmed it was indeed free to me :D Might be worth asking.

Mine do a simialr scheme too, but I haven't signed up to it as I buy my Frontline (not Combo) online and not from the vets. I may be missing something, but I'm not sure I see the point of Frontline Combo. Onced the flea bites the dog, it dies, right? So it's not going to breed in the carpet :? As I say - maybe I am missing something! I have heard that Effipro is exactly the same as Frontline only cheaper, so I might try that next time round.

I tried Drontal but it gave Tango dreadful dire-rear, so we use Milbemax now. Shame as Milbemax is £££££

DM's right, our Vet does have a monthly payment scheme. It covers all vaccinations, Advocate once a month, Milbemax every three months and 6 monthly check ups with the nurse. It is cost effective and we were happy with the scheme. We use Advantix for our two as we have deer at the top of the land, we just had to pay the difference between that and the Advantage.

Our dogs aren't in it at the moment as, because we'd taken them to France quite a few times, we'd got quite a stock of Advantix as the Pet Passport scheme (before it changed this Jan) meant that although we had Vet prescribed Advantix and Milbemax that we could take with us, the Vet in France had to administer their own - exactly the same - and charge well for it :twisted:

We've been using Advantix only every two months and have had no problems.