Martin B

Here we go again.

To Martin and Lesley!

I hope you don't mind that DD3 is using some of your photos for her Geography homework. She had to gather some research on floods!

Thank you both!

Just thought I would dig this up from the archive.

A few parts of Alcester are flooded again. Mainly fields though, but some roads.

The main road out of Alcester towards Redditch via Kings Coughton was about 1ft deep with water last night for a 150 metre stretch. It made a 40 minute journey home about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

The town has spent £2 million on flood defences over the last couple of years but the river is close to spilling over the bank. Since the last flood they have doubled the size of the bank but it was at the top of that last night. It was spilling on to the bridge which is normally 18ft above river level. Scary stuff..

Anyway, it's worth scrolling through this topic to see some of the photos I took last time we flooded. Hopefully won't be a similar situation this time..

Martin :D

I am sending positive thoughts to all those affected by the floods.....Ithink you are all very brave; I know that I would just go to pieces :cry: .

Where have all those lovely, needle - sharp, cold frosty days of late autumn/early winter gone? Its just wet and damp - surely there can't be that much more water up there!

The River Cherwell is usually just a trickle in front of the sports centre, by that high bank. The centre was rebuilt there, on higher ground, after repeated flooding; it used to be where that car park is... on a flood plain between the canal and the river. Wonder which moron thought it'd be a good idea to build there? :wall:

Edited by Guest

Blimey! :shock: It's terrifying this weatehr isn't it? I just can't relax today... electric fencing bowing, poles falling over, stream flowing over the bridge, pigs feeding ark trying to take off, a chair flew over the fence, eglu covers & shower curtains lifting off. These things sound so minor compared to what some must be going through. I hope everyone is safe!

Emma.x

There's always so much more to batten down on a smallholding isn't there Emma, we've had to go round checking.

I saw your reply on my FB post yesterday Martin - I hope it's not as bad as last time. The water levels have gone down a bit overnight but it's just started raining here again, so you must have it as well now.

I spent most of yesterday taking cups of tea down to police who were having to sort out waterlogged cars and traffic control on the island on the main road at the end of our drive after it flooded again. Why someone in an ordinary saloon car thinks he can drive through the flood when he can actually see a near identical car being towed out by a tractor I don't know :roll: I had to call the police after the first car got stuck and traffic decided to start driving around the wrong side of the island, heading to a blind bend and the oncoming traffic :roll: Our house is on a slight slope and shouldn't flood....but the septic tank was swamped yesterday and we had to pump sludge and water away from the house - fingers crossed that there won't be too much more rain :pray:

Tree down in the park (not a big one) and lots of water at the sports centre; I walked down through town as it seemed safer than the park with all the trees. The river is right up into the lower car park where the old centre was, the sloping car park has a sign that it's closed but some ninnies have gone in and parked in the top few spaces where the water hasn't yet reached... happen they'll learn their lesson :wink: