soapdragon

Why do we TRIM trees?

This year everyone seems to be 'trimming' their tree as opposed to 'decorating' it! I always though that trimming involved cutting bits off (we may yet have to do this as OH seems to forget each year that we don't have a 'great hall' :roll: )

I think its American but not sure why its taking over....I much prefer decorating as it sounds much more festive :lol:

We do have to trim ours! As OH also thinks we live in the great hall :roll: He cuts a bit off the bottom,then the top.then the branches look a bit odd.Then he trims another bit.Then we have the great tradition of complaining about the tree,he then says he's never getting another one(then its tree time again)

Its always OH's job to get the tree in our house too and, each year, I ask if the seller gave him a discount for getting the sp"Ooops, word censored!"st/most lopsided/uneven one! However, as we usually site it close to the sitting rom wall so generally take a few branches off the back as a sort of spacesaving operation. The off cuts then double up as mantelpiece decorations :oops:

However, I totally agree with Plum that trimmings come with turkey - Heaven forfend that anyone should confuse tree with turkey :lol:

I am American and we say decorate the tree. Trim the tree sounds way too formal.

Thanks for that - that's really interesting as I thought that the term 'trimming' was American in origin. Shows how wrong you can be! :lol:

It may very well be American but my family has always said decorate the tree or decorate the house for Christmas. I asked my daughter was she would tell people she was doing as she put ornaments on the tree and she replied "that I was decorating the tree". I told her why I asked and she said she has heard people say trimming too. Oh well, interesting none the less.

I refer to it as decorating the tree; I think of 'trimming' as American

I think its a regional thing - growing up in the south east, with Geordie parents, we decorated the tree & house.

Where i work in Yorkshire the tree gets trimmed and decorations are 'trimmings'.

Where I live (20 miles away) we are back to decorating... :think:

I'm an East Midlander too and dont trim my tree nor do my EM friends. More like "Ayup 'as than put yon tree uuuop?" As an hononary Londoner we also put up tree but without "ayuping" about it. Never heard of trimmings except for the turkey and all the trimmings. Dont fancy my turkey festooned with tinsel thanks very much.

I'm American (from Michigan) but have been living in the East Midlands (Leicestershire) for a long time.

We always call it 'decorating the tree.' However, I found this on t'internet..

Origin of TRIM http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trim

probably from Middle English *trimmen to prepare, put in order, from Old English trymian, trymman to strengthen, arrange, from trum strong, firm; probably akin to Old English trēo tree, wood — more at tree

First Known Use: circa 1521

Edited by Guest

Ayup !!!! Now Lasses and Lads . Over ere in Yorkshire we Trim t' tree . Alays ave dun alays will .

As far as I can remember even the old folk when I was a small lass " Trimmed the trees" They went up 12 days afore and down 12 days after. To Trim is to dress something up nice, adding bows to hats or dresses and the like, so I guess we do the same t' tree anall.

That's amazing! I really thought that this was an Americanism and now find its English 1500s! Mind you, there is a school of thought that says that modern American is closer to the English of 1650 ish due to the emigrations from Britain to America! :think: Oddly, it seems that this 'language' has been less diluted than the original which has evolved! 8)

Ay and you'd be frit ta death if ya didnt take it down by tha end of 6th January - bad luck would befall thee. Where I come from the joke is the small town has a language of its own and the girls have a bit of a reputation :whistle: However I escaped all that as my mum (RIP) was a frustrated Hyacinth Bouquet and I now speak proper English with the odd EM twang and a smattering of London slang. However I will listen carefully this Chrimbo to see if anyone has trimmed their trees. I know dad has but he had a bloke up a ladder with a chain saw to do it. :lol:

Ayup Alisgirls ... you're not from Mansfield? :lol:

This is absolutely fascinating, because I've always assumed that 'trim' was an Americanism, and not used in the UK. Londoners definitely decorate their trees.

And I had no idea Saronne and Leeloo that you were American ... your accent doesn't show when you're posting!

The internet is indeed a strange and wonderful place.