Groovychook

The Weather Thread # 8

In the middle of one scary storm. Have been awake since 2am. Just watched from DD's bedroom window one of our 8x4 glass greenhouses lifted from its concrete base. It is now lying at an angle a mess of metal and broken glass. Lights are flashing every few seconds. The noise of the wind is scary. I fear for the chicken run, the sheds and the wood stores and the other greenhouse. It wont be light until after 8am so a while before any damage will be seen properly. Internet connection not good so I will submit this message.

The wind doesn't seem to be easing. The end kitchen wall is taking the full force of the wind, sounds like someone is trying to knock down the wall with a wrecking ball. The wind is coming into the kitchen via a double socket on the wall :shock: Not looking forward to going out to work later.

OOh Ali - sounds bad - I heard our bin go over and it was against my car grrr! - the recycling ones are restrained thank goodness or would have been everywhere - there is a dead branch in the garden beside the hen run but thankfully I took the torch out to open the run -its still gusty but not as bad. Had to shut the vents in the bathroom for a gale blowing there at 6am and It was trying to snow - which is just NOT what we need - keep warm Ali = I sympathise about the greenhouse I once had one do that one New years morning many years ago - now I have a wooden one which is so heavy it does not move! I need to head to Elgin today so hopefully I should do it now before this starts up again as its said to be doing later on!

Very windy here overnight, still pretty blowy now. Another massive tree down in the garden right through the stone wall boundary :evil: , going to have a go at negotiating with the farm about it but I suspect it will be another insurance job as the tree was from our side :( .

Decided to cancel my planned trip to Edinburgh today as I don't think public transport is all up and running yet.

Still nowhere near as bad as for you ali and Blackrock , you have my sympathies.

It has calmed down very considerably and I ventured into Elgin to shop as there is more forecast for the weekend. It was quite windy on the way there but has dropped there also before I came back - it was nice to get the car through the car wash as the roads have been so mucky with salting them for the snow and frost. Shops were blissfully quiet for a friday and I topped everything up and can sit out a siege of weather for a couple more weeks!. Everyone keep cosy and warm and most of all safe.

Chicken run survived :D as did the sheds and wood stores. Slates missing from Cottage roof and some guttering will need repairing. Two trees at a precarious angle which will need felling, glad they didn't fall into the lane. I decided to wait until it was fully light before going to work. So glad I did as 3 large tree branches were across the driveway. These must have fallen after OH had gone to work, if I had gone to work in the dark I would have reversed/driven over them, either way it would have been messy. An empty house near by had its heating oil tank on its side in the front garden :shock: , yesterday it was round the back the right way up. Both my greenhouses have been destroyed :(