Valkyrie

Meet Merry and Pippin.

This is Skye - she'll be 6 this year and now the oldest of the birds.

P1030036.jpg

This is Tipsy - bottom of the pecking order, flighty as anything and she'll be 5 this year.

P1020345.jpg

She was like this

P1010813.jpg

Apologies - photobucket inconsistent there!

And this is Squirt - when she was sweet.

P1010818.jpg

Now a little ratbag that goes for your legs/arms and anything where she can give a nasty peck!

012_zpsddba6f8c.jpg

Yup. I know Mostin said "I thought you said no more whining orpies?" Yeah, famous last words. The laced one is a Gold Lace Orpington. I have also seen a white orpie with black lacing and they look fabulous. This is OH's want want want, so it was more to placate him so that I could have free reign with any others, so that's Merry. Pippin is a French Wheaten Maran.

Yup, chatting with Redders and Chicknboo while cuddling cute and friendly chicks,it seems that those hatched under a broody do tend to be more wild as opposed to little darlings in the incs. Very strange as we handled them regularly. I think Squirt has seen me remove a fair few of the flock over the years and not seen any come back . . . and we ate her brother.

Arrggh, wasn't going to have any more pure breeds, was going to be sensible and get hybrids.

But i am seriously coveting your gold laced orpie, and i have found the "essex orpingtons" website.....warning...do not look....

Only 30miles from me and they have every colour under the sun, the lavender ones are gorgeous aswell, and i think Gertie would be happier with another orpie friend....

:shameonu:MillyJude! Never say do not look! Red rag to a bull that is! :lol: Red partridge! Quail! Oh my!!!!

And thank you Mrs B, glad it cheered you up.

Sorry Daxigirl - see you on Saturday - Fidget and Kazoo eh! Look forward to meeting them too. And I am looking forward to my Lewis cuddle - birdy shows are not the same without!!! :lol:

And for those with orpie withdrawal or wanting - here are my first ladies - Apache (lavender splash) at the back and Sioux (blue) at the front.

P1020076.jpg

And Cheyenne doing her turkey impersonation.

P1010742.jpg

Hahahaha! Yep I did tease about having a Jersey Giant. And everyone thought it was real until I posted pics and well what rude names! Oh it was so worth it!!! :lol: My goodness that was a while back. Poor thing is now stuck in the spare room cupboard!

Er I have bookmarked Essex orpies and yeah I know, once you have an irritating, whining whingeing orpie that stresses you out because you think the neighbours will be hammering on your door and you say never again - you miss them. You miss the "you didn't see me trip over because I am a fabulous bundle of feathers and I really do not trip over, no I did not, nope, not me" look. And the whingeing and the whining - the garden is suddenly quiet without them. And the quizzical squeak they do.

But no more orpies for a while - I'd like to have some different ones first - but I think I will always have an orpie around from now on.