BuryFCA1

Using chicken poo as manure in plants

We have considered scooping up the coop tray full of poo and putting it on our newly planted garden and veggie plots. Is this ok to do or not? Can anyone help. I dont want to do it if it is unhealthy or if the poo needs to be composted for a year or two first

It's very high in ammonia. You can use it but not straight away. Not sure how long you need to leave it, but it's nothing like a year. Why not google it. It's actually great manure. I have it all round my garden, beware if you have dogs though. My puppy lab loves to eat it :D omlet sell something called bokashi which you can use to eliminate the ammonia. Have a look on here :D

A keen gardener friend of mine told me that I should collect the poo in a watering can and just add a bit of luke warm water, give it a stir and it's perfect for the plants and veggies.

Haven't actually tried it yet, but will give it a go. He has a very large plot of land with a lot of veggies and fruits. He knows his way around poo.

We compost ours for at least two years until it is dry, odourless and without worms. Even then it is very strong and should be used at 25% the strength/ amount of normal compost. We found young squashes would die when their roots hit it unless it was buried a long way down with soil above. Grew some fantastic peppers with it.

We mix ours in with all the other stuff that goes on the compost eg vegetable waste, grass clippings, weeds etc and leave it a year. This is our first year of compost and it looks absolutely brilliant. It is now all over our roses, veg, raspberries and cut flower in the planning! bed. :D

Same here - we have 2 compost bins and the chicken poo is added to that - the aubiose is added every time OH mows the lawn - too much Aubiose doesn't rot down quick enough. I hose the lawn after I've poo picked (and added to the compost bin) and the water ends up on the shrubs. Have to say our nettles are fabulous - and tasty because we harvest them for soup! :lol: Then the big bin is turned into the smaller bin when it is full and then it rots down in there until the following spring when it goes on the veggie patch. Or rather part of it. Not enough to do it all but this year it went on the strawberries and they look really healthy plants now.

I gather alpaca poo can definitely go on to the plants right away without composting. I am biding my wait for these 4 legged hairy animals. Am counting the days until we move. Well make that months - but the plan is coming into action.

All of our bedding goes into compost bins with vegetable peeling etc and is left for at least a year, then it is spread around the garden and put into raised beds. We have heavy clay soil at home and it has improved it no end.

The run bark gets put into sacks and composted at the allotment and then gets used around the fruit bushes, raspberries and potatoes. We have light sandy soil there and that has also been improved greatly.