mullethunter

Anyone know about hedgehogs? 2015 UPDATE

The last three days in a row we've come home from work at lunchtime or early afternoon to find a tiny hedgehog (about the size of my hand and I'm small) apparently sunbathing on our grass. Each time we've put him in a cat box in the shade with food and water the first day and just water yesterday and today. Last night we saw him again (assuming it was the same one) on our patio just before dark - (he ran away when he saw us at which point he was nearly in the lounge!) eating some cat food we'd left out and he looked fine. This 'sunbathing' is clearly not normal behaviour though. Anyone got any ideas what's going on or if we should do anything else?

Edited by Guest

Well - the evening before last I got home later than normal from a long day at work and there he was out in the sun again!

He had some fly eggs on him so I rang our nearest rescue / rehab centre and they said he needs help straight away. So out comes the cat box and me and little hoglet are hurtling down the dual carriageway to get to the place in half an hour. They said he was there just in time as some of the fly eggs had just hatched.

When I left the very dedicated ladies were picking eggs and maggots off him with tweezers. He only weighed a hundred and something grams, so they said they'll keep him, treat him for all types of parasites and feed him up to over 400 (as long as he makes it). Then he can come back to me to be released!

I'm so glad I took him - they were brilliant www.facebook.com/pricklesandpaws

:clap::pray:

They do tend to suffer from liver fluke. Usually when you see them in the day then they are forced to go and find food and pretty much too late. But then again if caught in time there's always hope. The worst is when they try and hibernate while being underweight. They have to be kept warm all the time. Another bad sign is if their poo is green.

Very sad but it happens a lot. It's good to know that rescue centres will take them in, although the nearest one to us had to turn away animals because their funding wasn't enough to cope. :(

Taken another one to 'Prickles and Paws' today.

When we were walking home from the vets carrying the cats yesterday (annual immunisations) at about 5 pm we heard a noise like a loud high pitched bird we didn't recognise a few doors away from our house. As we passed a driveway OH said 'Look! A little hedgehog!' And so there was, and that's what the noise was coming from. I've never heard anything quite like it.

Anyway, we couldn't do anything because we were both carrying cat boxes and it was behind gates, but for the rest of the evening I kept thinking 'I should've gone back to see if it was OK', but I didn't.

Then this morning as we walked to work, there it was, outside the same house wandering along the verge. I sent OH back to the house for a cat box (only about 50m) and popped the hedgehog in - she was really cute and wouldn't roll up until I had actually managed to pick her up (during this time a little girl who I reckon was about 7 or 8 came past and wasn't even remotely interested - I worry about children today). For the morning I left her in the warm shed on a couple of hand warmers wrapped in socks in a pile of shredded newspaper and Easichick with a plate of watery catfood. Then at lunch time (she was curled up asleep in the paper) drove her the 20 miles to Prickles and Paws. The lovely lady said she must have got lost because she wasn't really big enough to be away from her mum and certainly shouldn't have been out in the day. But she also said that she isn't hin and outwardly looked ok, so fingers crossed this one will make it and we'll get her back just before winter or next spring as a big fat grown up hedgehog.

When I left she was inside a fleece hat on a heat pad in a cosy little hutch about to have some special milk. So cute. Wish I could've looked after her myself. Fingers crossed :pray::)

Lovely that you got him back too :D

We had a hedgie out in the daytime last year, and I contacted Egluntyne, who confirmed that there was probably something amiss. Called up a local rescue, and got him in a box with a heat pad and some dog mince with water. Turned out that the poor wee thing had too many parasites and had to be PTS :(

Happily, we have a new hedgepig this year, and it looks healthy. I am hoping that it has found somewhere under my woodpile to hibernate as I haven't seen it recently. Thanks to Egluntyne, I now know that hedgies out in the daytime aren't healthy.