Charlottechicken

The Great British Bake Off 2014

Sorry, but I thought that was sabotage!!

If they need freezers for a task then they should be assigned enough freezer space, it's not musical freezers. Someone was using a chest freezer with little of anything else in it, and others were squeezing stuff into the top half of a household fridge/freezer. Totally unfair :evil:

Edited to add: According to Sue Perkins, the ice cream was out of the freezer for 40 seconds, therefore wasn't freezing as it should anyway. Hmm, jury's still out...

The programme makers really should have made sure that they had adequate freezer space. Usually when they do a challenge like this they get to start it the night before, even with a good ice cream maker you couldn't make hard ice cream in 4 hours. They should have looked at the weather conditions and adapted accordingly, with all that opening and closing of freezers it was never going to freeze. Iain didn't use the ice cream maker either it just went straight into the bowl into the freezer.

I do think that whoever took it out and didn't out it back should have owned up and taken a forfeit of some kind, it was either one of two people as far as I could tell. They obviously felt for him but he should have presented his different elements for tasting.

The paper that I read this morning said that things were not as they were on TV and I can believe that....TV co's do like to sensationalize things. I agree that sufficient freezer space should have been available and maybe we won't know what happened exactly. However, I cannot believe that, had Diana 'sabotaged' Iain's pud it would have been 'allowed' so I am sure that there is more too it!

I saw this episode and thought it was very unfair, but then I heard Diana interviewed on the radio yesterday ... she said that Ian had phoned her a few days before the programme aired to warn her that "the knives were out for [her]". She said he didn't blame her at all for what had happened and that both of them agreed the programme had been very badly edited to sensationalise what had happened.

I'm sure in the past when the bake has involved something like ice cream, the contestants have been allowed a head start the night before to ensure that the ice cream or whatever was set in time. It did seem very unfair and the contestants were poorly equipped, even if the weather hadn't been hot, that tent must be boiling with all those ovens on, so 4 hours to get frozen ice cream sounds like a big ask to me?

It's always difficult but I have to say the editing was quite irresponsible if Diana had no responsibility at all for the mishap with Ian's ice cream and it must be horrid to take so much flak when you are innocent so i feel a bit sorry for her. It seems to me that she is the second victim of this episode and whoever came up with the idea of producing an ice cream dish in the middle of a tent in the middle of summer without access to a blast freezer should be the person marched off the show!

It was good watching the extra slice last night. Iain got such a loud welcome reception from the audience, he looked quite humbled by it. If you haven't seen it, they make their final bake for the programme as they have more time to show what it was they were trying to do, and he did his baked Alaska. It looked amazing and the guests who tried it said it tasted amazing. Wonder if there is a recipe for it? Must go and have a look. I have always wanted to make a baked Alaska so maybe this will be my first try at it :D

I am shocked at how nasty people are being about this woman Diane. Facebook and Twitter are sites for sad individuals to make horrid comments about others - faceless bullies. We will probably never know the truth but she is an elderly woman and will have sad people making horrible comments about her and to her. I think she probably got his ice cream out to get to hers and forgot to put it back - we all do daft things. The programme makers should be ashamed when we see a chest freezer for some contestants half empty and then others having to share. No fans or air con. I think we should have seen off cuts on the extra last night so we could see what really happened.

Mel Giedroyc has said on Twitter that it was only out for 40 seconds - I think this was heavily edited to make Diana look like the culprit. Iain's reaction was extreme but in fact I think he has behaved with grace and dignity since then, he didn't try to blame Diana and accepts that he acted rather rashly. He wasn't the only one whose ice-cream was melting, after all - Chetna had a disaster too. I think the producers have something to answer for in allowing only 4 hours for this project in the middle of a heatwave!

At one point Ian's ice-cream was in the (half empty) chest freezer, when one of the other guys was trying to pipe meringue directly on to his pudding, so he didn't have to use the small freezer.

Its interesting to note that, now GBBO (initially seen as a minority prog) has been moved from Beeb 2 to Beeb 1 (ie mainstream), things start to get 'seriously edited' and generally manipulated.

This prog started off as a lovely, innocent baking comp but, sadly, seems to have become the victim of hype and sensationalism. A sad reflection on today's media.

Or am I just being cynical :think:

Off to lie down and enjoy a slice of cake! :wink:

Social media brings out the worst in people, I get the feeling that both Facebook and Twitter have had some nastiness going on. Sue Perkins tried to diffuse the situation on twitter but gave up when things turned nasty :( I really feel for Diana, and Iain has been very measured about it all. He did look uncomfortable on Extra Slice but he took it all in his stride.