Cinnamon

Anyone still have a Roomba?

My old one broke too, so I phoned Lakeland & they sent me a brand new one, which I sold on ebay because I needed the cash at the time.

The new ones do look very s"Ooops, word censored!"y though, & I am feeling tempted.....................

I miss seeing him bumbling around cleaning up for me!

Nope!

It doesn't fall down the stairs either!

I had it going in our room yesterday, & despite me thinking it was fairly clean, & it having been hoovered a few days before, I had to empty Rex's (The Roomba) dust collector 4 times :shock:

The amount of hair ingrained in the carpet was just astounding.

Am setting him up to do the kitchen & dining room when I am at work tomorrow. The cat won't be impressed!

Which one did you get Cinnamon? I keep looking and trying to justify buying one.

I got the 650 - I am a John Lewis partner, so got it with partner discount.

In my defence I found an old Santander account a couple of weeks ago with just about the right amount in it, which I had totally forgotten about, & had been looking for something to spend it on 8):lol:

I'm sort of interested in one of these for my mum - she's constantly moaning about the weight of her current hoover (admittedly she is 80). I've already bought her a second hoover so she doesn't have to carry it up and downstairs, but I do wonder if a Roomba would be the answer for her. Only thing I can't figure out is how they cope with corners when Roombas are round and corners are square?

There is a sort of sticky out brush thing that gets into the corners. maybe not as effective as a traditional Hoover, but certainly better than when I Hoovered!

It does right up to the edges too.

If you Mum is older there may be a couple of issues.

Firstly Roomba needs a clear sweep to work well, so an uncluttered floor is ideal. Older people tend to have more stuff around, so this might be a problem.

Secondly the dust tray needs emptying & the brushes cleaned really regularly. The dust try is easy, but getting the hair from the ends of the brush can be fiddly, & I am not sure how an older persons fingers would cope with that. You do get a little tool to help with this, but even then it is a fiddle.

Hope this helps.

You could look at Sebo vacuums, which I have found to be light, really moveable & very sucky :P

Oh that's brill, thanks for that Cinnamon, very helpful!!! 8)8)

Cluttered floors would be an issue I think and I'd wondered if it would be a bit too techy for her to cope with ... I bought her a VERY lightweight/simple Bissell cylinder machine a while ago, I think it's brilliant really powerful, but Mum has a list of complaints about it as long as your arm (mainly, the problem with anything and everything that I get for her is "it's not as good as the old one", but other problems include - "too many pipes and wires" (don't all hoovers have a mains cable and a sucky tube?), "too heavy" - despite the fact it weighs considerably less than her other upright one. Long and the short of it, she has decided she wants one of the battery/rechargeable types she's seen advertised on TV - I've told her that's fine, but she's got to choose it, I'm very happy to order it/collect it/take her to buy it and put it together for her, but if it's "not as good as the old one" I don't want to know!!!! Oh dear, I think I'm the daughter from hell!!!!

It may just mean finding someone who your mum feels comfortable with.

We had a similar problem with my folks; my mother is in the advanced stages of dementia, so my father is looking after her with the help of carers. He isn't of the generation where men find cleaning and domestic stuff easy; it took a bit of time, but they now have a lovely cleaner who they are happy with.

How's Rex doing?

My Raymondo was consigned to the spare room upstairs when Tilda, our house hen, moved into the kitchen. She ended up living in the kitchen for 18 months, and I bought a Dyson cordless (DC59) which has been fantastic.

I did miss Raymondo wandering around downstairs at first, but then I forgot all about him.

Your post has made me nostalgic, I might get him out again. Or set him up to clean the landing.