Chickendoodle

Non alcoholic drinks suggestions

I am finding that as I get older I can tolerate very little alcohol so I rarely have any. It is really tough though to find anything decent and non alcololic to drink that is not overly sweet.

I like ginger beer and ginger ale (and water) but struggle to find much else that is interesting. I am really not a lover of shloer, J20 etc. I quite like appletise but one is enough as it is very sweet. Fruit juice for me is a morning drink and not one to have with lunch.

Anyone got any suggestions of non alcololic drinks that are actually nice and that you could drink more than one of?

Another soda and lime lover here :) Very refreshing, and as a plus not an expensive pub drink :wink: I have been given limeade which is NOT the same thing at all :shameonu: - far too sweet! I usually use lime cordial and soda but you can have a slice of fresh lime if you'd prefer. I started drinking it as an alternative to a g&t as it has a similar taste, and like you, I am finding as I get older I can't tolerate alcohol like I used to. Not a bad thing, but I do miss my red wine :cry:

Another fan of lime but I have it with sparkling water.

My husband loves the San pellegriono cans, I find the blood orange ones a bit sweet but like the ordinary orange one and the lemon one.

I also water Apple juice down with sparkling water. Cranberry juice is quite nice too with a dash of sparkling water.

Yep, lime and soda for me too.

Vodka, lime and soda is my favourite but if I'm not 'drinking' just ditch the vodka.

It's best with a good squeeze of fresh lime and a slice, but if you order it in a bar make sure they don't put too much lime cordial in if that's what they're using or it'll be too sweet. Also make sure you don't accidentally get line and lemonade because that's sickly and disgusting :vom:

I can definitely vouch for elderflower - you can get the cordial to mix with water/soda/sparkling water etc, or you can buy the ready mixed fizzy one (the Bottlegreen one is lovely).

We had a drinks party at work last night and it's interesting that we went through more elderflower than anything else - even more than champagne!!! It's a really nice drink, not over sweet, but it's also quite thirst quenching. I don't drink alcohol at all (only because I don't like it) and really enjoy elderflower (although I'm ashamed to say, I also LOVE diet pepsi!!!! :oops::oops::oops: )

I like nojito's or virgin mojito's. Also very sharp and fresh red grape juices or cherry juices can be lovely. In Germany they make something they call Schorle. Which is any juice with fizzy water. Also very good with good cherry or red grape juice or even banana juice. Mmmm :drool:

I like orange juice and bitter lemon - St Clements. Also fizzy elderflower and the lemon San Pellegrino.

A very interesting one was a non alcoholic coctail that I did for hubby - glass of pineapple with grenadine poured in slowly so that it settled on the bottom. Looks good with the different colours in layers with the grenadine on the bottom, slightly orange where it meets the pineapple and yellow on the top.

I think there is an orange juice version - tequila sunrise without the tequila! But OH likes pineapple but not the alcohol.

Grenadine is pomegranate syrup.

Another lime and soda fan here! If you're in a pub, that's the easiest thing, like you I don't like J20-type drinks and I'd rather drink nothing at all than drink Coke :vom:

At home or at friends' homes I usually end up with tea or tap water! 'Driver's Pimms' is good though - lemonade/tonic with cucumber etc in and a dash of balsamic vinegar, sounds odd but it really works well.

My dad spent a lot of time working in Africa, and loves a drink called Nigerian Chapmans - it has just a teeny bit of alcohol in it as it's made with Angostura Bitters. I prefer his version as it's not so sweet as the original:

• Dash of Angostura
    Freshly squeezed orange juice
    Juice of half a lime
    Soda
    Pour over ice and garnish with sliced cucumber

I guess it's a sort of Pimms.

Another one here who likes tonic water with a slice of lime

I love tonic water, especially Fevertree, which is gorgeous.

Their Mediterranean one is especially nice - very herby....great with a slim slice of fresh ginger in it.

I also love Fentimans Rose Lemonade & Purdys rejuvenating tonic.

Another lime and soda fan here. Or sometimes if we are at the pub I will have a tomato juice. I find most ready mixed drinks too sweet but The Orchard Pig grapefruit and mint one is very refreshing. I also find that if you dilute the premixed fizzy drinks with fizzy water or soda water they are much more palatable. I have to 'fess up though. I only resort to non alcoholic if I'm driving otherwise mine's a large Gin and full fat Tonic ! (can't abide overly sweetened diet drinks but will try the Feverfew one next time on your recommendations )

ps. All of this hedonism will stop in January because I'm planning to go sugar free. Anyone want to join me?