soapdragon

Do Hamsters Fart?

Possibly one for Lewis :lol: !!!

Bob, our very small dwarf Russian hamster, loves brassicas! Fang, his predecessor, loved peppers and apple and hated cabbagy things but Bob just devours broccoli, cauliflower etc

We have recently given Bob some Brussels Sprouts which, as he is so small, gives him a work out as well as a munchie (think 'The Prisoner' :lol: )

This prompted my 7 year old YS to ask if hamsters fart! Over to you............ :lol:

hahaha :lol:

I needed somewhere to upload the images so I've just written a long winded answer on my blog.

To be honest I have no idea if hamsters fart or not but thinking about it, I guess they do.

Hamsters are monogastric omnivores like humans and dogs and they have a very similar digestive system to us, only much smaller!

I took this from one of my Anatomy books, labels are in Latin but you might be able to work some of them out:

blogger-image--1959522514.jpg

The cecum (labels 16-18) is a blind ended sac for microbial fermentation, a bit like a cul-de-sac, in which bacteria help enzymes break down plant matter such as cellulose.

A byproduct of this reaction is gas, which I guess means, Yes... Hamsters do fart!

Happy to hear anyone elses thoughts....

I can answer this.......Yes they do Fart, we had a lovely hammy who ate far too much salad and had the runs poor thing , and we heard her fart for a couple of days when things were quiet and she was pooping all over her cage .

Our fault really as we gave her a lettuce leaf and they don't really tolerate lettuce very well , we found it hilarious as well a feeling guilty for feeding it to her. So you can guess who had to keep washing her bum...yes me, but I brought loads of gloves home from work.

We didn't feed her lettuce again. Our Vet even told me off.