soapdragon

Decorating

OH has ended up with masses of leave to take before the end of the year (ie; April!) and so has booked Mondays and Tuesdays for the next 4 weeks...those are the days that I tend to be free.

As soon as the boys leave with our lovely lift share lady at 8.30am on Monday its roller to wall with Dulux Wild Primrose Endurance ..hall, stairs and landing!!!! Oh, how I am dreading it!!! Hate, hate, hate decorating......all that moving furniture, sugar soaping the walls (hasn't been painted since just before ES - now 10 - was born!) tiddling about cutting in around the edges...my job whilst OH goes doolally with the roller on the rest of it!

BIL bought us plastic onsie decorating outfits for Christmas so have a laugh and think of us 1st thing on Monday...swathed in plastic suits exclaming with horror as we take the lid off the tin and realise that it bears no relation to the matchpot and we will be living inside the yolk of a Cadbury's cream egg!!!!! Same happened with the sitting room late last year.....Crushed Aloe looked lovely in a small square from the matchpot but its a bit like existing in an Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisp tho we have got used to it now!

This set me thinking that other Omleteers would probably have some great decorating stories.............. :think: Over to you!!!!!

I hate hate hate decorating even more than you do, I promise!

We've barely decorated in 20 years and keep using the excuse that we'll do it when we come into some money, if that ever happens. OH's (step)granny passed away recently and left him £50 but not sure that would cover more than a few tester pots!

Good luck, rather you than me :lol: .

Hate it too but feel obliged to put paint to brush every year in one room or t'other. Thro lounge needs doing - groan - so much wall - I am very lazy never do skirtings as I maintain gloss makes me ill :liar: so OH has that job. Works for me!!! Its never ending. When pregnant 20 yrs ago I paint in a maternity bra and huge shorts as it was soooo hot. These were the days before celebs bared their bumps - so I set a trend :lol:

I only moved into my house about two and half years ago. So everything is new enough, but doing everything was hell... Ceilings are my biggest stressor. Get sore muscles thinking about it.

My mom just did her stairs again, in the same colour as before. She discovered that the paint has bleached out A LOT! So now she has to do all the walls too...

But when doing my house, I think I accidently made money instead of paying it on paint etc. We used millions of coupons, but also had to return some stuff. Some of the very young employees weren't as awake as others... Refunding us the whole price instead of the reduced one... :shh::lol:

Apparently the best way to test paint is to paint the inside of a cardboard box - then you can see the effect of shade, light etc if you can be bothered! I've never done it but then magnolia doesn't really vary much :lol:

I loathe decorating too. My house was all newly painted before I moved in, I couldn't understand why it was all looking a bit grubby till I realised that was eight years ago .... I got a Man in to do the stairs as I don't do heights, but I'm going to have to buck up and do the other rooms myself.

Another hater of decorating here. :lol: we moved into our current house when ED was 5 months old, she is now not far off 22. We decorated initially and since then had only done the lounge and dining room in 2007 when we had the wood burner fitted, until last year when I did the bathroom and the hall stairs, landing and downstairs loo. Actually not true we did the kitchen. About 10 years ago when I painted all the cupboard doors.

Once I get into it I am fine and actually like painting but I hate the mess and disruption. We are about to do the kitchen and our bedroom. I also need to redo all of the doors that I did last year because I did them with a water based gloss and it has peeled off and got damaged when the new carpet was laid. I would never use it again even if it doesn't smell bad and stays white. It is better upstairs on the doors which were under coated but downstairs where everyone sees it is awful. :(

Our house is mid-decoration because we want to sell. We've lived here 5 1/2 years and had to refurb from scratch but with 2 young children the paintwork has suffered. Next to do on the list is the dreaded hall, stairs and landing. I'm hoping to get the house on the market by mid April so not long left and lots to do. Today we were out in the garden tidying as it was so nice so nothing got done inside.

I have to say, I love decorating! This year I am doing the outside, fences, shed etc. Last summer I did garage, porch and internal door frames. I even bought a cheap sander (bad idea, it broke after a couple of turns) to make a better job of of woodwork :!: I do tend to slap it on and poor OH is left with the tidying up. All good fun tho. Ax

I pay a lovely man to do my decorating as I don't do ceilings due to a dodgy shoulder and back but Hubby tends to smear pain on in the same way you would smear polyfilla so we don't make a great team.

My lovely decorater charges about £200 a room and gets the job done in 3 days, fantastic.

I spend a fortune on tester pots and completely agree that they bear little relation to the actual colour when properly painted on the walls.

Whoever it was that wanted gold, I once had a massive dolls house painted in a great golden yellow, it was one of the mixed to order colours, to avoid the egg yolk effect the living room walls were painted in a dark blue which sort of flattened the yellow making it seem more golden.

I like decorating, but I tend to get more on me. We did get a lady decorator (recommended by some people). Never again. She made more drip runs than I ever did (and my dad taught me so I never get runs - his dad was a painter - including film sets at Shepperton studios - claim to fame: he did Charles Lawton's house - CL came to his front door to request his services!). Sorry I digress - yes she was quick. But my gorgeous newly plastered wall that was so well done (by a young lad) and soooo smooooooth that I almost didn't want it painted at all - but reddy brown wasn't really the colour I wanted - she slapped the paint on and it was a huge line of paint run about 3 inches horizontally! I tried to sand it down and touch it up when she went. It's still proud. She also quoted for the bathroom. She only half did the walls (more thick runs on new plaster :( ) - she said I don't do woodwork so she couldn't be bothered to do the tongue and groove! Then she said she thought it was already done - er I think the knotting brown blobs do sort of say I'm not completed, plus the primer wasn't exactly brilliant! The doors she missed bits and I had to get out the paint and do it. Sat on the floor in my nice trousers - well it was only a bit of touching up there - and got the bottom of my trousers in the paint lid. :roll:

Hall and stairs I went on Checkatrade and found a really nice man with his daughter. They did a fantastic job. The banter was equally amusing. It sounded like OH and DD and perhaps a lot more like myself and my dad. So not only did they do my painting and awkward stuff, they provided entertainment. They didn't stop, and just plodded on till they were done - no runs and no touch ups required. In face we thought they were so good we'll ask them to come back when we are ready to do the rest of the place.

OH bought the paint today whilst I took the boys swimming.....£51 inc tray plus roller and a couple of brushes :shock: This afternoon we'll start to move the big bookcase and other bits and bobs and sugar soap as much as poss. Hate that too but, as the hall/stairs/landing hasn't been done for 10 years, its a bit grubby so does need it!

As someone else has already said, its not the actual painting but all this faff and disruption thats horrible! Then getting paranoid for the next few weeks every time someone puts their hands (grubby or otherwise) anywhere near it!

Next job will be under the porch outside :wall:

I had a painter redo my bathroom (the housing company had it done before I moved in, but the paint started peeling very badly only after a year!)

He spend half his time on taping and covering everything in plastic. After that painting was super fast and easy! How much you can learn from professionals!

Ha, will have to mention that to OH! Have moved stuff, sugar soaped and prepped so ready to go 1st thing am! Will put the dehumidifiers on asap so hope all will be dry by mid day and we can get 2nd coat on upstairs. Have decided I like putting the paint on the walls just not prepping..........hoping the plastic onesie may help with weight loss too ie; like a sauna suit!!!

Well we've just finished 2 weeks of decorating and running repairs - mostly OH and neighbour, but I've been doing some the last few days and then clearing up after them :roll: All our walls are white so in theory its quite straightforward but a) the brand we are using this time is not the same brand I used 2 years ago so its quite hard to get a colour match b) when a painting a 2nd coat of white on white, you can't really see where you've already been and c) painting walls and ceilings is all very well but we seem to have covered any and all other furniture in miniscule droplets of white paint as well and d) my stainless steel sink is refusing to come up all bright and sparkling because its been doused in white paint so often over the past fortnight :(

OH has come down with a cold and I'm in danger of coming down with fed-upitis :lol:

Yay :dance: its done! Well, most of it - we just need to re do the ceilings but can do that at the weekend. Looks lovely and fresh......pale primrose yellow so very spring like!

However.......the pristine walls show up the tired gloss so that will be the next thing to tackle in a few weeks. I think you can get a low odour, quick drying one :think: At lea :pray: st, I hope that you can

Surprising how shabby the old doors look when the walls are looking spiffy. I love yellow walls - nice change from magnolia shades. I took a look at our house and thought well my favourite colour is green and only the dining room is a sort of green, but not a dark lary bottle green one! Bit darker than pastel. The lounge is cream and boring. Hallway is a nice creamy yellow to match the Laura Ashley curtains that I bought for the landing window but not got round to doing them - need a curtain rail!!! New stairs means can't get good angle to put the darned thing up anyway - OH has refused! :roll: Then our bedroom is a rich deep yellow. I actually looooove that one. Funnily enough the kitchen colour is called clotted cream - yellow again. Yet yellow is not my favourite colour but it does make it look so sunny and a happy colour. I'm liking the idea of primrose! :lol:

Well done. Almost done.