Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Another beautiful day.  Hot so stayed pretty much indoors - watered the veg and plants early though - and it was hot even then!  DD has been out for a ramble along a canal near her - we had lots of Whatsapp photos of the scenery - yellow rape with green vegetation and stunning blue sky.  Also some ducklings with their mum.  Ahhhh!

We had our village Mayday festival this afternoon and it was absolutley blazing! I slathered suncream onto all of us, much to the disgust of ES and YS but even a thick layer of factor 50 hasn't stopped my arms from tingling. I fear there will be many red faces and other places around tomorrow!  A whole 10 degrees cooler by Thursday, apparently ¬¬

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Love this time of the year in Cornwall - the thrift is looking lovely.  At least I think it's thrift - looks huge!

It is thrift - just a very healthy patch! It’s at a place called Gunwalloe.

Its my favourite time of year too - particularly when we get weather like this - the hedgerows and flowers are all perfect.

Who else got that storm last night. It was very extreme. I wouldn't have liked to be going in or out of Heathrow in that. Our road always floods and there were a couple of people out sweeping water from their front doors. The council have tried to stop it happening but something in the geography here won't be changed. It recedes very quickly. 

Check out Lightning maps.  They have a map that records lightning strikes in the area - with little sound waves.  If you have the sound on you can hear it clicking away - last night it was doing it's geiger counter thing!  Was watching the storms come up.  We had a patch close by but the west looked bad and so did High Weald over on the east before moving north.  This morning I've looked and a huge monster up in the east midlands.  London probably had the Kent nasty one and by the looks only recently stopped.  Seems to have been a big nasty in the Solent, but a lot seem to have been isolated patches where it brewed up out of nothing.  One just kicking off around Salisbury now.

I have a big fear of storms so recognise the cloud signs - not easy at night - but clouds tend to warn but not necessarily for my area -  which is good for me but then I'm on tenterhooks until that danger has passed.  I'm not as bad as I used to be - face it and all that stuff which worked to some extent, but I really do not like being out and about if there's a storm around.

We had a terrific storm in the small hours, sadly not overhead, but enough forked lightening and thunder to freak Ruby out; I had to go downstairs to comfort her and stop her from howling. It's been very humid here today and looking like it might thunder, then the sun comes out. We do need the rain, so I shouldn't complain. Spoke to my dad this morning and he had a terrific one down south last night - sounded like it was overhead and made him jump out of his skin.

From Gaydon to Napton on the Hill - a nice little cluster over Ladbroke.  I say nice - because it's not near me!  I think DD was hoping that someones BBQ was cancelled because she doesn't like someone else going.  I'm guessing she'll be there now and fuming because it wasn't cancelled.:lol:

We took the chance today to clear out the shed and all the chicken paraphernalia has been jet washed and tidied away ready to be tied together.  Also emptied the water butts - no water wasted but all the plants have had a nice drink.  Just one left to do.  Drying nicely - as am I - although I'm not sure about my walking boots that are now mini paddling pools and drying on the step.  I seem to be a little pink on one side of my arms and face.  Need to even it up!  Or not.

Edited by Valkyrie
Because I missed showing off about the sun

We've had the most fantastic light show - we could see the awful storm around Aylesbury as it was heading to High Wycombe.  Thankfully it seems to have petered out over the Chilterns but I do hope it isn't regrouping for another session!  Clear here but the cloud could be seen quite clearly from our upstairs window.  As I was filming I heard someone in the street outside saying "whoa look at that lightning - I'm going upstairs to film it!"  I think I got the best footage.  But the earlier show was horizontal streaks across the cloud.  Awesome, but not for those underneath it.  Certainly a humdinger!

Woke up to thick fog which has lifted mostly.  My daughter informs me that her car has suffered a lot of hailstone damage! :shock: Not sure how she can get that fixed as I'm guessing it comes under "act of God" clause.  Just as well her other half is in vehicle insurance - although she isn't registered with his company!  How many other vehicles are affected as those storms were really nasty all over the place!

Hopefully those poxy storms have now burnt themselves out.  Went for a walk to the village this afternoon and it was still hot and humid!  DD has had a result with the hail dents as there is a fella on their estate who has said he would be offering discount to the locals to take out their dents.  I gather there are a fair few golf ball cars!:lol:  She said it doesn't show unless you look at a different angle and then you can see the tiny craters!